MHR Black 5 45379 lit up for first time

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

This week the Mid Hants Railway's Black 5 was lit up for the first time (as a complete unit) since 1965. It will start acceptance trials on Tuesday of this week, and should enter service on our Gala weekend. Having seen this being progressed over the years I can say it is a fine restoration job, and is a credit it to Syd Weaver, Martin Buckell and their 'Thursday and Sunday' gang who have been responsible for the bulk of this job.

Also attached is a photo of Tornado at Ropley.

All photos were taken by John Barrowdale, and are used with permission.

post-6683-128307694585_thumb.jpg

post-6683-128307697748_thumb.jpg

post-6683-128307713249_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

A small video here.

I take your point about the classification marker Larry. Without getting into a discussion about this small detail I have to say knowing the knowledge within the group and the attention to detail they have shown on this job from start to finish I wonder if this was a quirk of this particular loco. I shall try and find out (without treading on their toes of course!)

The black one looks delightful - smashing job.

I do agree Mike, it looks a first class finish to it. Fingers crossed it'll be running at some point around half-term week when I'm back down. :)

I had a good look at it on Friday and I couldn't believe that the railway has only had it for about 5 years - the speed and quality of the restoration is very impressive.

What's the immediate plan with 80150? I saw it a few months ago, derailed and looking sorry for itself at Barry... looks like quite a challenge ahead!

Pix

Thanks for posting these, Phil. One of the Green Engine's team sent me a breathless message to the effect that 45379 was a show-stopper, and she wasn't joking: that looks like an outstanding restoration. Well done to the MHR gang for making it happen. biggrin.gif

I am in awe of the finished state of the Black 5. It looks superb. Having worked on the Avon Valley for over 25 years, I got used to seeing it many times in the 80s and 90s, when it was based at Bitton. Two items on my wish list - 1) I need to get to the MHR soon for a spin behind it, 2) it would be lovely to see it storm out of Bitton station on 6 maroon mark 1s ;-)

Very well done MHR - working through diary now to fix a visit.

Devonbelle

• RMweb Gold

For anyone wishing to visit the MHR in the hope of seeing this, or any other particular loco, the loco roster is published here.

Of course this can be subject to change due to operational reasons (aka problems and cockups)

I don't doubt that, all being well, 45379 will be slotted in here and there for running in prior to the gala.

• RMweb Gold

I am in awe of the finished state of the Black 5. It looks superb. Having worked on the Avon Valley for over 25 years, I got used to seeing it many times in the 80s and 90s, when it was based at Bitton. Two items on my wish list - 1) I need to get to the MHR soon for a spin behind it, 2) it would be lovely to see it storm out of Bitton station on 6 maroon mark 1s ;-)

Oh, so it's that one?! I remember it at Bitton as well...

Stunning job, simply stunning!

There's something about the colour quality of this photo that makes it look a bit like a shed scene from the 1960s:

post-57-128368236911.jpg

Fantastic!

Is it going to be main-line certified, Phil?

• RMweb Premium

Looking positively amazing - I NEVER saw a Black 5 in that colour in service - grime and grot were the order of the day.

Great to know that another hiker has been brought back to life - as I've said on many occasions, they really were the epitome of the do anything and everything steam loco - from covering a 40 on the Royal Scot to a local pickup goods. Be interesting to see how quickly she develops the clank that all Black 5s emit once there's any wear in the motion and axle boxes, and which was so much a part of their appeal,

• RMweb Gold

As has been well said above - this looks a stunner. A tribute to sheer hard work and a lot of passing-the-hat, no doubt. Although a Southern person, I would rather see a dozen elderly locos from other railways restored to this level than any replica, even of a Southern prototype.

Archived