Hornby class 08

Piemanlarger

Did a test on mine this morning , not run it in yet but it managed to take 7 mins to go from one end to the other of my 6ft 6inch board without stalling and crossing a number of dead frog points.

Thats what I call slow speed running. :D :D :D

Well then if it was me Id

'd make sure the wheels are spotless and that no dirt,oil or grease is interferring with the contacts

yup you are bang on but this flippin thing is stopping on straight track that has been baby wiped, track rubbered, isopropyl'd and bit of hardboarded - It was code 100 but its been rubbed down to code 75 !!!

Well then if it was me Id

'd make sure the wheels are spotless and that no dirt,oil or grease is interferring with the contacts

Hi - earlier in the thread I put a bit about cleaning the wheels and wheelbacks as from the box mine had some marks evident - regards fiddling about inside it ... no ta - its supposed to be RTR so its back at the shop and Ive exchanged it for a different and hopefully less tempramental loco. Which is a real shame as asthetically I loved it. Quick thanks to Will at Signal Box for handling it so proffesionally and happily.

Im too ham fisted to root around inside a loco and Im sure I will irk some but if I pay £130 plus for a model I am not prepared to fiddle around to make it work and potentially void any warranty - you wouldnt do it with a new car, mobile phone or television.

I hope everyone else is happy with theirs though and fingers crossed mine was just a rogue.

Chris

Hi,

Pic with lid off as requested

post-82-036779100 1286314484_thumb.jpg

21 pin chip with the speaker is mounted inward facing and is screwed to a mounting on the underside of the bonnet. Changing bodies wouldn't be that difficult though you'd have to fabricate a mounting. Be interesting to see if the new non sound ones have this. The earlier ones I have don't.

This is my first sound loco so was rather relieved to read that it's apparent bizarre behaviour such as it stopping and the sound cutting out and then going through a restart was normal. It's improved a lot since the wheels had a polish. There did seem to be something on them. Will have to try 838Rapid's CV suggestion. As it's the first the novelty hasn't worn off - yet!

Cheers

Stu

• RMweb Gold

internaly it looks to be the same as the non sound one (heres my hard wired lok-sound micro fitted one) as you can see my speaker faces the opposite way to the sound one, i may well make a proper enclosure for it if i get a chance

DSCF2067.jpg

i recon turning the speaker round on the Hornby release may make a difference as the outer moulded radiator grille is vented to allow the sound to escape

Very similar, certainly, but I think they've removed some material (most of the two metal ridges atop the gear tower) to make space for the wider decoder. Seems like a good move, let's hope they use this chassis in the non-sound versions as well over time.

Does fitting the speaker backwards like that mean they can install a bigger one? I know the micro speaker only just fits between the pillars facing forward, as seen in Jim's above and mine below:

almost-done.jpg

Thanks Stu for posting the pics of the sound version - I'm certainly tempted to get one.

Will

Hmmmm. Not totally convinced by Mr Hornby's 08. Functionality seems severely lacking. Whistle is horrid. SWD much better. Howes general sounds much better. Maybe a Howes reblow of the Hornby fitted loco will be the best option? Where's the unfitted freight clanking and the like from the Green one. Surely a missed opportunity? Also seemed not to have buffer clash and coupling noise separate? Another miss? The track groan and flange squeal also missing. Gronks often make more noise by bashing around their environment than they do from their engines. Think reversing speaker, creating a better way out for the sound might help too? Keep twining lads.....things will improve!

Right, had the thing out tonight as the layout is back up and running after Cirencester show.

I only baught the model as it Ran when tested at the show. My old Hornby 08 had duff contacts and was forever stalling.

Thus, ran it and on the whole it runs very well, did stall when at speed step 1 or 2 on 28 steps, but this was very slow and i thaught speed steps 3- 6 were a better slow speed anyway!

The sound? Mmm, the reason I baught it? No, i baught it cause it ran and was rtr sound fitted.

However, the speaker:lol: what a waste of time.

Its the small rectangular speaker 16 x 25 and ITS GOT NO SOUND CHAMBER!

As such, its utter pants.:D

I took the body off as the distortion of the sound was plain to the ears and cut the wires, replacing with a base reflex speaker, the US version as thats what was lying closest!

Transorfation in sound was huge.

Trouble was, its still pants!

This

http://www.youtube.com/user/piemanlarger#p/u/16/7sPrwNt6a2w

is my old SWd 08 sound which was on a 1 minute chip.

Now considering the Hornby one is on a 2 minute chip i think alot more could have been done.

F 1 start up. ok, not as Gronky as the SWD version. Shut down is ok too but could have been better.

F2 + 7 horns, single tone hooter and yes to me its an 08 as I have heard 08 whistle/ horns sound just like this.

F3 coupler, ok its a shunting loco so a fairly usefull sound, but no Buffer clash lol. No idea Hornby.

F4 Compressor. Sounds utter rubbish on the supplied speaker. Only Rubbish on a base reflex! I am sure the recording is distorted.

Infact,, I then did something for the first time with a Dynamis. I programed Cv with it by turning down the sound which is set on Max 64. I tried a few and settled on a setting of 45.

F5 Brake release?? Sounds more like sand rushing through a tube? Not the best breake sound I have heard.

Now the bit that had me scratching my head :scratch_one-s_head_mini: and reaching into the stock box as I was convinced I heard this before.

Firstly, someone will have to explain why an 08 needs notching up + down? I suppose if it were in a yard and had a long rake to shunt it would need loads of RPM to get the rake moving?

Much like my argument that all "big" Diesels need notching for the same reason?

Anyway, its a usefull way of listening to the engine sounds. Trouble is, I was comnvinced i was listening toi the Hornby class 60!

I even got a 60 out and compared them and I have to say I think the 08 sound could pass itself off inside a class 60 body, well the engine bit as it revs up etc.

As such, I have to say initial impressions are that the 08 sound is poor. I cant say i have had a good listen to a howes 08, mmm, wait a minute.

Just had a listen to couple on Utube and I would say the howes 08 is better than the Hornby again.

I Will I think be sending my 08 to swd or howes for a re-tune. Must have sleeper creeek / flange squeal as the 08 is bound to be found it tight spots!

Will fit a 23 ml round speaker + sealed enclosure in the cab either thursday or Friday.

for sale, 16 x 25 ml speaker, Baffled by no Baffle box!

• RMweb Gold

as a slight aside to your comments pieman id you do send it to howes bryan has just redone his 08 and has added further functions including uncouple (as well as couple sounds), 4 whistles, 2 from one prototype and 2 from another so you have a choice also sleeper grind which is now the norm on his revisited locos

With regards the speaker bryan has been looking into it and has settled for a round speaker now rather than an oval one as i currently have as it will leave space to fit a decent enclosure/baffle. He is going to reblow my 08 next week sometime and experiment with different speaker setups

as a slight aside to your comments pieman id you do send it to howes bryan has just redone his 08 and has added further functions including uncouple (as well as couple sounds), 4 whistles, 2 from one prototype and 2 from another so you have a choice also sleeper grind which is now the norm on his revisited locos

With regards the speaker bryan has been looking into it and has settled for a round speaker now rather than an oval one as i currently have as it will leave space to fit a decent enclosure/baffle. He is going to reblow my 08 next week sometime and experiment with different speaker setups

Hi Jim,

some interesting points.

my ideal 08 would be such, more or less

f1 start

f2+3 horns

f4 Spyrex (i think) tick - tick - tick

F5 Air brake

F6 Buffer clash

f 7 Couping

f8 Flange squeal

F9 notch up

f10 notch down

f11 - 2nd set of horns (1)

f 12 2nd set of horns (2)

Some time ago , well earlier this year you saif Bryan had also re-jigged the 60 to include Notching and flange squeal?

So, whats the best way of having things re-blown by howes?

As many of my decoders are fitted to the models I am not a fan of sending through the post.

Can it be arranged to deliver to howes Am and collect Pm once re-blows have been doen?

Have a green version on order with a local supplier but could take up to a week to arrive knowing Hornby.

One thing that bothers me is the Yellow Buffer beam, can see a tin a red paint being handy.

Hornby are in fact releasing a version with red buffer beams in the form of the r2977xs. You won't find it listed on their website but Hattons, Rails, Kernow etc have it available for preorder. It should arrive in the shops soonish.

See it here...

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/images/prod_31480.jpg

So, whats the best way of having things re-blown by howes?

As many of my decoders are fitted to the models I am not a fan of sending through the post.

Can it be arranged to deliver to howes Am and collect Pm once re-blows have been doen?

I had a Class 20 reblown recently, I delivered it to Howes myself, as I was passing and had it shipped back to Bristol by courier. Cost me a Fiver on top of the reblow and it was turned around in less than a week. First class service and the improvement on the Bachman/SWD sound project is amazing. Plus I now have 'sleeper groan on F13, great stuff!

I must say I was disappointed with the sound of the Green Hornby 08 after looking forward to it for some time The sound is distorted and makes some unusual noises when returning to idling like wheels over rail joins. Also it takes an absolute age to notch down and ticks over to fast. The whistle is strange but that is not uncommon on an 08. It would be interesting to know where they recorded it though.

Although It is not run in yet it also stalls when moving off despite the track being cleaned to within an inch of it's life this only seems to happen when the sound is on and it doesn't like any imperfections in the track, slightest bump and the sound shuts down then starts up again etc etc. I will run it in and if i'm happy with that it will be heading to Oxfordshire to have the sound re-blown, I only really bought it due to the difficulty of fitting your own in. If not then I guess it will be back to the model shop for another one as i'm not conviced there isn't a problem with the pick ups as someone was returning an EWS one which didn't run when I bought this one.

E

Managed to run the loco in and it now runs fine. So it will be winging it's way to Oxfordshire for some new sounds shortly.

E

Hi Guys,

I have managed to find time out to run the BR Green version of the Hornby sound fitted 08s, and put a clip on you tube for appraisal, think it's ok, very clear compared to the SWD version, but then again think that was on a 1 min chip.

Regards

Roy

Hi - earlier in the thread I put a bit about cleaning the wheels and wheelbacks as from the box mine had some marks evident - regards fiddling about inside it ... no ta - its supposed to be RTR so its back at the shop and Ive exchanged it for a different and hopefully less tempramental loco. Which is a real shame as asthetically I loved it. Quick thanks to Will at Signal Box for handling it so proffesionally and happily.

Im too ham fisted to root around inside a loco and Im sure I will irk some but if I pay £130 plus for a model I am not prepared to fiddle around to make it work and potentially void any warranty - you wouldnt do it with a new car, mobile phone or television.

I hope everyone else is happy with theirs though and fingers crossed mine was just a rogue.

Chris

Chris,

I don't think yours was just a rogue. This has been covered before in a thread about the Hornby 08 vs Bachmann 08 (can't find it unfortunately despite a good search).

I fitted a sound chip in a Hornby 08 but could never get it to run reliably. It just kept stalling and despite thorough track cleaning, investigation of the pickups, wheels, etc. I never managed to get it to work properly. I've never had this problem with my Bachmann 08s. I put it down to the fact that the Bachmann one has a sprung centre axle which enables it to ride over uneven track without losing electrical contact. The Hornby is rigid and so always seemed to stall on the slightest imperfection in my track.

Hence, I'm sticking to Bachmann 08s for the foreseeable future, even though I think the detail on the Hornby one is sharper.

Of course, we could just belong to the c**p track brigade and it's our fault all along!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

PS Edit: It was clear from the thread that we are from alone!

Chris,

I don't think yours was just a rogue. This has been covered before in a thread about the Hornby 08 vs Bachmann 08 (can't find it unfortunately despite a good search).

I fitted a sound chip in a Hornby 08 but could never get it to run reliably. It just kept stalling and despite thorough track cleaning, investigation of the pickups, wheels, etc. I never managed to get it to work properly. I've never had this problem with my Bachmann 08s. I put it down to the fact that the Bachmann one has a sprung centre axle which enables it to ride over uneven track without losing electrical contact. The Hornby is rigid and so always seemed to stall on the slightest imperfection in my track.

Hence, I'm sticking to Bachmann 08s for the foreseeable future, even though I think the detail on the Hornby one is sharper.

Of course, we could just belong to the c**p track brigade and it's our fault all along!

Cheers,

Dave

Waverley West

PS Edit: It was clear from the thread that we are from alone!

Hi Dave - I swapped mine for a Peak in the end - Back to Bachmann for dcc sound - seems to be the safest bet at the moment.

thanks for your reply

Chris

Makes me very tempted to show off my MMP Class 08 in O Gauge with Bryan's sounds in it. Then you really hear it all come alive!

I will get the latest sound file banged into it soon with sleeper crunch.

It is a 4mm decoder with a 100 ohm 32mm ESU speaker using one side of the brass body for reverbation. Not bad at all for a 4mm chip in a 7mm loco!

• 2 weeks later...

Chris

I have one ordered from Signal Box today

not sure how long it will take to get here (South France)

hope its a good one cos its a long way to pop in and change it :)

Mike

Archived