Dynamis handset fault

tinsley-toton

Hi all

I've had my Bachmann Dynamis handset for about 2 years now and all has been fine until this week, when I scroll through the loco list by moving the joystick either left or right, when I let the joystick return to centre the display does not stop and continues scrolling through the list. Its as if the contacts inside are worn or dirty.

This has made the handset unusable as when the desired loco is chosen, seconds later the display starts scrolling through the loco list at speed.

New batteries have been fitted with the same affect.

Has anyone else had similar problems?

Thanks for any assistance

T-T

Yes, although not a very common problem, it is a well know one.

handset needs replacing, thats what my local retailer did with mine. I have had one handset for about 3 years(?) know with no problems, my backup handset developed the scrolling issue with hardly any use lol.

still great handsets for the money through!

• 2 years later...

Mine does the same. I ended up changing to a Hornby Elite as it was annoying that everything stopped when the infra-red link was broken. The broken joystick was the last straw. It's a pity as otherwise the Bachmann controller was easier to use.

• RMweb Gold

Mine did the same but it won't be knackered. Take the outer plastic casing off, 2 parts and spray wd 40 carefully into the joystick area. This will lubricate the micro switches and stop them sticking. Mine has been fine for the last 6 months.

Let us know how you get on.

• 4 months later...

After studing the best DCC solution for my layout and budget I decided to get the Bachmann Dynamis and out of the box I loved it.  After a few months I noticed that the base would not connect with the hand set.  I changed the PS and it got fixed.  After some time I returned to the factory PS and it worked fine.  Then  right before the warranty ran out the joystick began to give trouble.  The hand set would change the locos or power settings on its own. I cleaned the pots on the joystick but after a while it started to malfunctionagain.

What to do? I opened the handset, and found rust on one of the battery terminals so I cleaned it up and put silver solder on it.  The joystick manufacturer is Polishine (Chinese) they don't sell less than 1000 pices so I went over to Digi-Key and purchased a CTS 252A104B60NA-ND which is 100K OHM joystick.  I live in Florida so you UK guys can source it locally.

Once I soldered in the new joystick all worked well but the Infra-red link was going in and out.  I added a snap choke ferrite core to the end of the PS and so far all is working back to normal.  Noticing that the Dynamis was made in China I could suppose that some parts might have quality issues since the POTs are sealed and a claning did not cure the problem.

If you don't want to spend more money, I recommend you or a friend change that joystick and clean the battery terminals, maybe even change the PW.

Having  had  several  issues  with Dynamis on various layouts,  including  handsets going completely unusable due to Battery contacts becoming disconnected ( repaired under warranty)  and the  frustrating  Infra Red line of sight "Wireless!" communication,  It is only used now  for Programming Locos occasionally usually on the Kitchen Worktop!

I was going to sell it  but feel that its unreliability would be an issue for  any buyer.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Following worked for me:-

1.  Opened handset and squirted contact cleaner into joystick and on white deposits on board.

2.  Surprisingly I have found my preferred brand of hybrid battery to be too tight a fit in the slots thus inhibiting the action of the contact springs.   The batteries do need to be a free fit.

• 1 year later...

Thought I would add my pennies worth for others to share in my experiences with the Bachmann Dynamis.

I have had and continue to have many problems with the system since purchase in 2010, although it has seen relatively little use, approx. 50 hours, since new.

I was and still am fully aware that this particular system was marketed as an "introduction " to DCC for beginners, which suited me fine as I was ignorant of any of it's issues when purchased, as everyone else was too when released. Even thought it was an introduction system it would have been nice if it had gone through a more rigorous testing regime before general  release to iron out the following issues.

Firstly there is the connectivity problems between the base station and the hand held unit when subject to interference from florescent lighting, indoor PIR alarm movement detectors, and other IR sources. This leads to non communication between the 2 units and renders it unuaseable unless the handset and base station are virtually touching each other, this is what I have had to do to use it on my layout, but it then renders the "wireless" feature useless, but at least it is useable....ish.

The second issue has been the random and unwanted scrolling of screen information. This has been identified to be a  result of poor/dirty contacts on the joystick arrangement and is rectified by taking the hand held unit apart and cleaning and lubricating about once every 6  months. The scrolling issue is difficult to live with as when it happens the controllability of anything is lost until the scrolling is stopped, which can take anything from seconds to minutes.

The 3rd issue has been the battery contacts which are continually in need of cleaning to ensure continued usage.

The 4th and more terminal issue is with the motherboard. What happens here is that when the hand held unit is switched on and all the icons light up, as it is supposed to do for a couple of seconds, it continues to stay lit up indefinitely and is frozen and is inescapable. I have fitted 2 replacement mother boards so far since purchase and I have just been to switch the handset on for a few hours of "play" to find that it needs replacing again, 3rd time lucky hopefully. Luckily there are a lot of second hand units on ebay as people continue to update to a more reliable system, so repairs are relatively inexpensive, but extremely irritating.

Why do I continue to try and persevere with a DCC system which is in my opinion unfit for purpose? Simple, I don't "play" very often and I am not particularly technically minded when it comes to the complexities of learning a new system, and I find reading the instruction manuals and learning a new system very difficult and daunting, and I don't want to spend a large sum of money and still end up with a DCC system which isn't up to scratch. so basically it is a case of better the devil you know.

I guess over time my patience will wear off and I will have to bite the bullet and decide which DCC system best suits my needs, but in the mean time I am now off to Ebay to purchase another couple of hand sets for spares.

If anyone else is experiencing these problems too, rest assured that you are not alone.

And if anyone would like to suggest a DCC control system which can read and change CV's, not wireless, have over 21 functions. and is very easy to learn to get to grips with and is under £400.00 then please let me know.

Thank you           

Firstly there is the connectivity problems between the base station and the hand held unit when subject to interference from florescent lighting, indoor PIR alarm movement detectors, and other IR sources. This leads to non communication between the 2 units and renders it unuaseable unless the handset and base station are virtually touching each other, this is what I have had to do to use it on my layout, but it then renders the "wireless" feature useless, but at least it is useable....ish.

The second issue has been the random and unwanted scrolling of screen information. This has been identified to be a  result of poor/dirty contacts on the joystick arrangement and is rectified by taking the hand held unit apart and cleaning and lubricating about once every 6  months. The scrolling issue is difficult to live with as when it happens the controllability of anything is lost until the scrolling is stopped, which can take anything from seconds to minutes.

The 3rd issue has been the battery contacts which are continually in need of cleaning to ensure continued usage.

The 4th and more terminal issue is with the motherboard. What happens here is that when the hand held unit is switched on and all the icons light up, as it is supposed to do for a couple of seconds, it continues to stay lit up indefinitely and is frozen and is inescapable. I have fitted 2 replacement mother boards so far since purchase and I have just been to switch the handset on for a few hours of "play" to find that it needs replacing again, 3rd time lucky hopefully. Luckily there are a lot of second hand units on ebay as people continue to update to a more reliable system, so repairs are relatively inexpensive, but extremely irritating.

.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

And if anyone would like to suggest a DCC control system which can read and change CV's, not wireless, have over 21 functions. and is very easy to learn to get to grips with and is under £400.00 then please let me know.

Thank you           

I had all the above problems with both my origninal Dynamis and a replacement handset... I finally dumped the system after it let me down at an exhibition (thankfully someone gave me a loan of another controller for the weekend)  

I now use a Lenz set up, which came in at under £300 and have no complaints.  Performs well all round both at home and exhibition.

Hi TBF

One of the lucky ones you are. Strong the force must be with you.

Good to hear there are some good ones out there.

I have just received my 4th replacement, hopefully this one will last a year or 2.

NM......exhibiting at Doncaster in February so hopefully the 4th replacement will not let me down.....fingers crossed.

Paul

• 2 years later...

My Dynamis handset had no display.   I dismantled the handset noting which screw came from where.   There was a lot of a white deposit around the connections to the joystick, the battery connections and the on/off switch.   I cleaned the white deposit off the printed circuit board using a stiff tooth brush, then cleaned the battery terminals.   Finally I sprayed Servosil Super 10 Switch Cleaning Fluid into the joystick operating it as I sprayed.   Reassembled the handset with a new set of batteries switched on but still no display.  

I took handset apart again and I noticed that the display was loose in its holder.   The display just sits in a holder on the printed circuit board relying on contacts on the board touching the underside of the display.   It is not a soldered or a plug in device!   I cleaned the contacts on the pc board, put the display back in its holder making sure it was the right way up, reassembled the handset and was pleased and relieved that it worked when I switched it on.

I would most definitely not use normal WD40 on the joystick.   it is not a dedicated switch cleaner, its a penetrating oil and water displacing spray.   It has been known to melt some plastics!      WD40 Electronic Contact Cleaner spray is a dedicated contact cleaner   I used Servosil Super 10 as I had it to hand.

Thank you           

Sorry that my response has been delayed by a failed ’Net connection. I used Dynamis for years with no trouble, once I overcame my instinctive pointing of the handset at a locomotive rather than the base station. For my purposes, its shortcoming was its maximum capacity of forty locomotives. When my second handset was full, I thought it was time to look for a different system. I believe that the ideal DCC controller has yet to be built – it should have the functionality of a laptop and the dimensions of a handheld. After reading a lot of views on the subject I settled for the NCE Powercab. I’m very pleased with it. It does more than the Dynamis and comes with a longish lead. I particularly like the tactile roller speed control, which can be operated with one hand whilst watching the locomotive concerned. Digitrains sell it for £159. The price adds to the appeal.

• 7 months later...

After studing the best DCC solution for my layout and budget I decided to get the Bachmann Dynamis and out of the box I loved it.  After a few months I noticed that the base would not connect with the hand set.  I changed the PS and it got fixed.  After some time I returned to the factory PS and it worked fine.  Then  right before the warranty ran out the joystick began to give trouble.  The hand set would change the locos or power settings on its own. I cleaned the pots on the joystick but after a while it started to malfunctionagain.

What to do? I opened the handset, and found rust on one of the battery terminals so I cleaned it up and put silver solder on it.  The joystick manufacturer is Polishine (Chinese) they don't sell less than 1000 pices so I went over to Digi-Key and purchased a CTS 252A104B60NA-ND which is 100K OHM joystick.  I live in Florida so you UK guys can source it locally.

Once I soldered in the new joystick all worked well but the Infra-red link was going in and out.  I added a snap choke ferrite core to the end of the PS and so far all is working back to normal.  Noticing that the Dynamis was made in China I could suppose that some parts might have quality issues since the POTs are sealed and a claning did not cure the problem.

If you don't want to spend more money, I recommend you or a friend change that joystick and clean the battery terminals, maybe even change the PW.

The CTS 252A104B60NA-ND joystick mentioned in the above post is no longer available.

Does anyone know of a direct equivalent?

Archived