Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Wolverhampton Station

Hi all,

I'm just thinking out loud here really - I was wondering if anyone had considered or indeed already modelled Wolverhampton Station? It strikes me that with the current availability of fine AC traction & rolling stock in both 00 & N gauge it may now be a distinct possibility. The arrival of Dapol Catenary would be a bonus too.

The era I would have in mind would be the late 80s/early 90s, when an Intercity train from Euston would stop & lose it's AC traction in favour of a 47 to haul it through to Shrewsbury & beyond. I used to travel this journey quite a lot to & from Wellington.

If I recall correctly there were class 310 EMUs which terminated in the bay platforms to the south of the station, and plenty of DMU stock - both the new (at the time!) sprinters, and older (The type escapes me). Then there were plenty of through trains from Euston too which carried on to Glasgow etc.

In fact, the more I type, the more I'm tempted to start modelling it myself! :D

Any thoughts folks?

Matt

Guest baldrick25

Model in the Low Level station when it was still just about in operation , and you have a huge variety of traction and movements on two levels, one electrified , one not.. Just a thought

You'd have a chance to run a 304 into the south bay as well. The ran up from New Street with some regularity.

I should think it would make for a great model, though personally I would shift the timescale back to the late 70s/early 80s so that I could have whole rakes of Mk1s on the inter-regionals and a greater variety of AC electrics. Could also find room for a pair of 25s on a 'Summer Saturday' run to Aberystwyth. :D

I did consider Wolverhampton a few years ago, but as always it never happened. I got as far as looking at planning portal plans to see what would fit.Its certainly possible, the curve of the plan almost lends itself to a layout.

cheers

Shane

• RMweb Gold

You'd have a chance to run a 304 into the south bay as well. The ran up from New Street with some regularity.

I should think it would make for a great model, though personally I would shift the timescale back to the late 70s/early 80s so that I could have whole rakes of Mk1s on the inter-regionals and a greater variety of AC electrics. Could also find room for a pair of 25s on a 'Summer Saturday' run to Aberystwyth. :D

The South bay was originally part of the Parcels Depot. It was not signalled for passenger use, but occasionally was used unofficially. I don't know when it became a passenger platform, but it would have been after Parcels traffic ended. Mill St sidings were not trapped against the Parcels siding. These were taken out under scheme plan BS1/83, so not before 1983.

The Signalling Record Society has a copy of scheme plan NW880017 entitled Wolverhampton PSB - Upgrading of Bay Platform and provision of Set Back move from WN117 to WN109. This would indicate that the work was not done before 1988 at the earliest.

• 2 years later...

Does any one know how the track layout was before the centre siding was lifted between plats 1&2 and before plat 4 was built. May be I should just sat in its 80s guise. What I'm planning is a bitsa small layout of just one end of the station, with current preference being the north (or should it be west?) end, but I can't remember how/where the through siding connected to the mains.

Did the Euston emus make it into platform 1 or 3 or just in the south (east) bay post siding closure? They must have when the parcels depot was still open if the signalling didn't allow right?

304s would have come through on Manch services wouldn't they?

Regards

• RMweb Premium

Does any one know how the track layout was before the centre siding was lifted between plats 1&2 and before plat 4 was built. May be I should just sat in its 80s guise. What I'm planning is a bitsa small layout of just one end of the station, with current preference being the north (or should it be west?) end, but I can't remember how/where the through siding connected to the mains.

Did the Euston emus make it into platform 1 or 3 or just in the south (east) bay post siding closure? They must have when the parcels depot was still open if the signalling didn't allow right?

304s would have come through on Manch services wouldn't they?

Regards

I think some of the plans I have for Low Level include a bit of the "other" station, I'll dig them out and have a look.  There might also be something in "Rail Centres: Wolverhampton" which (IIRC) has a chapter on the rebuilding of High Level.  From memory the point for the middle road was roughly at the end of platform 1.  Mid-80s I think 304s were running through on Manchester-Walsall (via BNS) services.

edit: to add platforms 1 and 2 were bi-directional so terminating services could have used either

• RMweb Premium

I thought these photos might be of interest, In both cases the point at the B'ham end of the loop is beneath the first vehicle, I think

post-6677-0-12893600-1375036437_thumb.jpg

post-6677-0-27864700-1375036466_thumb.jpg

Here is the other end of the station

post-6677-0-32738100-1375036575_thumb.jpg

90007 was there for driver training I think

post-6677-0-16351400-1375036658_thumb.jpg

No model of Wolverhampton would be complete without one of the waterproofed 08s.  08901 seemed to always be there:

post-6677-0-97234200-1375036749_thumb.jpg

Thanks Mark

Just trying to see if that west end/Shrewsbury end would compress slightly to fit the scalefour standard gauge workbench challenge. The 2 loco sidings, the 2 bay lines and less complicated s&c at that end lend themselves better to a bitsa layout than the brum end I think.

Regards

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave

There are details of the original signalling notice 745G covering the changes at Wolverhampton from Saturday 14th August to Monday 16th August, 1965 here http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/notices_detail.php?n_id=2195#scans.

It has scans of the layout, http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/2195/diagram%20b.pdf is the one covering the station, also http://www.signallingnotices.org.uk/scans/2195/text.pdf gives the narrative, signal profiles and list of routes for controlled signals.

There was a change at the Stafford end fairly early on as road labelled 'Shed' disappeared and the bay became a passenger platform with WN76 as a 3-aspect main signal. This always had a standage problem with long u/f DMUs as with a 3-car set the driver couldn't see the signal. The present platform on the area often referred to as the 'Banana Yard' was built to get over this.

Eric

• 4 years later...

Archived