what times do clay trains run in cornwall

Guest 34008Padstow

Guest 34008Padstow

hi guys. i was wondering if anyone knew the times/days that clay trains run through par. i was hoping to try and get some pics for a layout idea

Thanks in advance

hi guys. i was wondering if anyone knew the times/days that clay trains run through par. i was hoping to try and get some pics for a layout idea

Thanks in advance

if its any help we live overlooking the Coombe viaduct and I can spend a day getting train times at saltash if thats any use

The CDA workings to/from Fowey Docks (class 66 load 38 CDA) are as follows:

Monday:

6G05 Fowey to Goonbarrow.

6G06 Goonbarrow to Fowey. (later on a Monday, normally Par apx 10:50).

6P07 Fowey to Parkandillack. - Booked through Par apx 14:30.

6P08 Parkandillack to Fowey.

Tuesday:

6G06 Goonbarrow to Fowey. (normally thru Par around 08:00).

6G07 Fowey to Goonbarrow. (Par apx 12:30)

6G08 14:30ish Goonbarrow to Fowey. (leaves once the 14:08 Par to Newquay has cleared.)

6G09 Fowey to Goonbarrow.

6G10 Goonbarrow to Fowey.

Wednesday:

6G06 09:34 Goonbarrow to Fowey. (leaves once the 09:17 Par to Newquay has cleared, so Par apx 10:00).

6P07 12:30ish Fowey to Parkandillack..

Thursday:

6G06 Goonbarrow to Fowey. (normally through Par around 08:00)

6G07 Fowey to Goonbarrow. (Par apx 12:30).

6G08 14:30ish Goonbarrow to Fowey. (leaves once the 14:08 Par to Newquay has cleared.)

6G09 Fowey to Goonbarrow.

6G10 Goonbarrow to Fowey.

Friday:

6G06 09:34 Goonbarrow to Fowey. (leaves once the 09:17 Par to Newquay has cleared, so Par apx 10:00).

6P07 12:30ish Fowey to Parkandillack.

As for mainline bulk wagons (JIA/IWB) the trip workings are a bit more erratic, but is roughly:

Wednesday:

Block train (6C99) arrives St.Blazey 06:00 ish from Bescot/Newport.

6B03 06:30ish St.Blazey to Burngullow. Trips wagons to Parkandillack branch.

6C21 12:20ish Burngullow to Long Rock, fuel tanks.

6C11 14:10ish Long Rock to Burngullow empty fuel tanks.

6C11 15:30ish Burngullow to St.Blazey, fuel + clay.

Thursday:

Morning, load JIAs/IWB at Par Harbour.

6C39 16:00ish St.Blazey to Newport ADJ.

0C39 23:xx Newport ADJ to St.Blazey, light loco.

Friday:

6B03 06:30ish St.Blazey to Parkandillack.

6C43 Burngullow to St.Blazey (varies, left 11:00 today, sometimes as late as 14:00).

6C43 18:30ish St.Blazey to Exeter Riverside.

6M60 Exeter Riverside to Bescot, via Newport.

Thats your lot......

HTH

N

hope you see something - i spent a fruitless couple of hours in the area a few weeks back. I gather these services are a bit temperemental at times...

I found that too when we stayed there last year - and we stayed in Golant too which made it all the more frustrating! :lol:

Guest 34008Padstow

some intresting pics there. i have never been to golant despite living here for 24 years.Also slightly OT does anyone know where i can find a decent pic of th bridge carrying the mainline over the par docks branch?

• RMweb Gold

CDAs headed west would probably the Tavy Jcn / Heathfield ones for Fowey via St Bz.....

Errr. not sure you're right there Mickey - Heathfield hasn't had any traffic for several years (see Captain Kernow's recent pictures here) and Marsh Mills china clay works has also closed - so there's no traffic from Devon into Fowey any more as far as I know...sad.gif

@ robert17649 - were they actually CDA hoppers or some other wagon do you think?

• RMweb Premium

Golant is a superb photographic location which works best in the late morning and afternoon for light on the train and the river. Alternatively if you're up for it there are some opportunities for silhouette shots in the morning.

Either drive down to the village and park (beware of the extremely steep hill - 1:4 with a short steeper bit!) or take a Western Greyhound 524 bus going to Fowey from St. Austell station to Caste Dore (not a 525 which takes another route) and walk down the lane from there - remembering you will need to walk back up it later!

There are vantage points on the hillside above the village for trains coming out of Carne Point (try the tracks towards farm properties part-way along Church Hill) and for the adventurous with a decent lens there might be some "reverse-angle" shots from over the river at St. Winnow with early morning light behind you and shining across the water favouring trains coming down from Lostwithiel.

Beware: the road through Golant village beside the harbour is tidal and can flood at the top of bigger tides. Don't park along it and remember there is a back way out if you get trapped. The pub down there isn't too bad either.

I posted all the EWS/DBS freights that run earlier in this thread. CDAs no longer venture east of Lostwithiel, only traffic ex Cornwall now is JIAs for Stoke, with the odd IWB Cargowaggon. The Saturday train is a mystery, was it definately clay?? Not an engineers train or something??

Would i be right in thinking the jia's are the ones been made by kernow?

JIAs are to be released by Kernow, but are not out as yet. Heljan do a Cargowaggon and Hornby the CDA, so all current clay wagons can/will be available....

Guest 34008Padstow

Just had a re read through the notes, and noticed jia's are loaded at par. i didnt think it was still in use, or was it just the port that closed?

Archived