Loch Dore

sharkman

Although I originally built this layout to fit into a small workshop I still really hankered to do one as a show exhibit. My previous one which you may have come across was Latelee Town which was retired in 2006 after doing DEMU at Burton on Trent. My rail partner then had moved to Wolverhampton and as I no longer had the facilities to store it so it was decided that I'd sell my share to him and he would return it to he's home. So after nearly 5 years with no layout the opourtunity came along to build a 12'0" x 1'6" design in a new workshop in the back garden. It was to be simple and something that would'nt spend month's stored away and then quickly put up somewhere suitable to do a weeks work and maintenance before a show.

Being in contact with the local club I heard that they where going to do a new show so I stupidly said I'd volunteer a layout which gave me about 9 months to build something. Fortunately I had a carpenter/railway modeller friend who did all the boards. Electrics was going to be DC as I had tended to be a DCC "ludite" till I started to fall under the spell of sound. So it was going to be DCC, hardware was the NCE Powercab reason being Gary my ex rail partner had gone that way plus he would volunteer to help out which ment if I got a Powercab as well we would then have two handsets if I was going to do shows.

Design was simple a small back fiddle yard leading into a single platform station with loco refuelling facilities at the other end. The main industry is the Wiskey Distillery, all the graphics was supplied by our local model shop manager http://www.modeljunction.com, I never new he had so much interest in wiskey!

The period is aroundish 1987, location is the east side of Scotland, and some what off a limb between Edinburgh and Inverness it also men't I could still run large logo 37's and some 47's. Trains are a mixture of two and three coach services, the night sleeper, come on this is Scotland you've got to have one of those. Freight is traffic to distillery, an OTA timber train, BDA's carrying pipe's and other Speedlink services.

Most of the building are the excellent Bachmann Scenecraft range because they seem to lend themselves to the location. I also have gone to town on lighting and you can actually work the layout quite affectively in darkness the only thing needed is the coaching stock to be lit. Those floodlight towers by CRsignals are excellent and work on a simple Bachmann trainset controller, 7 tower's in all. I was particularly pleased with the bridge that breaks the layout in two and hides the entrance to the fiddle yard, it carries a disbandoned branch line.

post-7440-0-98214700-1300026344_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-44078500-1300026362_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-13955800-1300026373_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-92301700-1300026383_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-81610400-1300026392_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Now with just under 3 weeks to go before the debut show the race is on to get as much completion as I can. The next photos show the platforms with much added details although standing passengers are still to be added. The TPO in platform 1 is the Bachmann/Modelzone version along with a Replica Full parcels BG branded Scotrail a Mk 1 BG Newspaper van is on the other end. Class 47 461 has just brought the Loch Dore portion to a stop of the London/Edinburgh sleeper. Passengers have sometime yet to leave their berth before its removed to the storage roads.

By the way some off you may have noticed that the seated passengers seem to be on cushions!! Their actually on white Bluetac, I intend getting the more uptodate station seats from Bachmann when available so have temporaily fixed them to the traditional Peco ones.

post-7440-0-24376600-1304350794_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-55101600-1304350897_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-69097400-1304350941_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-66905900-1304350990_thumb.jpg

post-7440-0-67946700-1304351019_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This parcel train has just arrived at platform 2 but Class 20 192 is also the latest to the stock fleet having just arrived today. It makes a very clean appearance against the first Newspaper van I think this may have to change slightly!

2011-06-16190657.jpg

2011-06-16190633.jpg

• Like 3

I think its fair to say it does'nt always rain in Scotland and the caravan site proves it. Scanterly dressed figures are making the most of what good, hot sunny weather can bring!!!

caravan3.jpg

caravan1.jpg

caravan2.jpg

As you may have noticed the camper van has now been moved to the caravan site. Its original area to the left of the distillery now redeveloped with a small cottage. The owners certainly like their garden complete with greenhouse.

cottage2.jpg

The two lads seem to be enjoying their spot of football but I'm not sure what the old lady sweeping up may be thinking

cottage1.jpg

Another shot of the cottage.

cottage3.jpg

Finally a view of the cottage showing its situe.

cottage4.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

At last is a micro buffet to work with the passenger services and to form some refreshments for passengers. Its easily done using a Bachmann Mk2 BSO which seem to be remarkably cheap at moment. I also removed one of the seating bays and fitted in a buffet module although I think it was hardly worth it as you really need internal lighting to appreciate it!! It awaits renumbering and Scotrail branding.

buffet1.jpg

buffet2.jpg

buffet3.jpg

buffer4.jpg

• Like 3

great looking layout and some nice details, are the buildings rtr or made by youself??

neil

Hi Neil, thanks for your comment, 90% of the buildings are Bachmann Scenecraft apart from the low releif cottage which is Wills. My threads on here have got all out of order but if I'm allowed to advertise a more updated version can be seen on the BRBlue forum but I will try and ammend this one.

When I seen the Name loch dore thought this was another layout. It looks excellent and look forward to more pics.

Josh

Cheers Josh, I had'nt realised Scotland was still such a popular subject - perhaps i should have called it Lochnadore!

Ian

A very grubby 47563 prepare's to move the Loch Dore night sleeper on its journey to Edinburgh where it will connect in with the London portion ending up in Kings Cross early the next morning so that everyone arrives refreshed.

47563_sleeper.jpg

Here are a couple of shots of the stock comprising of this service, fortunately the first class coach provides a refreshment service, no doub't alcholic!

47sleeper2.jpg

sleeper3.jpg

The class 20 has moved the parcel stock to platform 1 where it will form a much later parcels service to Glasgow Queens Street.

47and20.jpg

• Like 2

My thread got spread into 3 so I'm adding missing images from the earlier ones to fill the gaps - I hope you like?

DSCF2058.jpg

DSCF2056.jpg

DSCF2084.jpg

DSCF2073.jpg

DSCF2068.jpg

DSCF2077.jpg

Dscf2112.jpg

One of my favourite loco's is the Bachmann 08 who running number was standard Bachmann and so happened to be located to Perth shed for this time - what luck!!

DSCF2142.jpg

DSCF2141.jpg

Some earlier progress of the layout shots.

DSCF1887.jpg

station1_nov.jpg

brewery.jpg

• Like 3

Some shots of the burn't out brake van residing at the end of the road. Looks more of an over enthusiastic guard on a cold day rather then a spot of vandalsing!! The vehicles from the Parkside range with much carefull cutting to represent the work of flames.

brake2.jpg

brake1.jpg

brake4.jpg

brake3.jpg

• Like 3

• 6 months later...

I thought it was time for an update to the latest happening's on Loch Dore and well to be honest very little accept the arrival 26 027 in a nice well weathered condition! OK it did come via a well known auction site but I could'nt resist it specially as its a class lacking on the layout - all it needs is a suitable sound decoder version I had considered Olivias but I'm open to suggestions?

26027 arrives on a single full parcels coach

26027_3.jpg

26027_4.jpg

Later it prepares to run round the vehicle via the platform crossover and then to collect the two private owner wagons from the whisky distillery sidings.

26027_5.jpg

26027_1.jpg

26027_2.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Hi Ian

The pictures certainly give it a scottish theme and the weathering about right nothing over the top just subtle this is most certainly on the watch list I'm liking this a lot as I'm another scottish layout co-owner with Lochnagar.

Keep up the great work and of course keep the pictures coming we all like pictures !!

And as for a sound decoder may I recomend Legomanbiffo for the class 26 and 37's they are awesome if you do a search on youtube for legomanbiffo you'll be suprised I think ?

Colin

Edited by Cov Guard

• 1 month later...

I must thank Gareth Bayer for spending a hot Saturday afternoon taking the photos that are really excellent and then creating the captions for them and indeed upgrading my mundane text to something amusing to read.

Edited by sharkman

Cracking layout only found it following the article in rail express and very nice it looks too. You have got in lot in the space and scenery and back scene are excellent. I also like you're weathering as it looks just right. I would also recommend legomanbiffos sounds especially with your stabling point the 37/4 start up options would be good to play with on there. You can see them on YouTube and Charlie at dc kits stocks them if you do want them. Howes are also very good.

Keep the pictures coming

Mark