Prototype for EVERYTHING !

Hi All,

I found this lurking in Acton Yard, London, today and thought it may be of use to some of you ?

Let me know if anyone models this as I'd love to see it done........oh....it's used for wagon shunting by the way, although not at it's current location.

It was a bit like the scene from the film 'Close Encounters' where they're in the desert and all sorts of things that shouldnt be there just start appearing............

Anyways, enjoy........

post-7088-1258470237688_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12584702585438_thumb.jpg

post-7088-12584702735408_thumb.jpg

Dave rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Premium

How does that work then? It doesn't have an rail wheels. Are the yards it works in all built up to track level? I think that would limit its use a bit. Reminds me of a fantastic foreign layout that was in Continental modeller about 2 years ago i think. It was a dock scene, and at one end it had a wagon turntable. Once the wagon was turned throigh 90 degrees it was pulled to the unloading bay by a tractor. That was done by having a freewheeling model with a rod through the board, and then the rod pushed along by a motor underneath. HO scale i think it was, very impressive and a possible way to make this work, if anyone is mad enough.

How does that work then? It doesn't have an rail wheels. Are the yards it works in all built up to track level? I think that would limit its use a bit. Reminds me of a fantastic foreign layout that was in Continental modeller about 2 years ago i think. It was a dock scene, and at one end it had a wagon turntable. Once the wagon was turned throigh 90 degrees it was pulled to the unloading bay by a tractor. That was done by having a freewheeling model with a rod through the board, and then the rod pushed along by a motor underneath. HO scale i think it was, very impressive and a possible way to make this work, if anyone is mad enough.

As far as i know..........it would........erm...........okay, I don't honestly have a clue how it works but yes, it does look better than a 70 !!!

Dave

If you notice, the coupling hook is actually pivoted, and free to swing from side to side. I suspect that the tractor crosses one rail into the four-foot, and works slightly to one side (also as suggested by the damaged paint to the buffer beam. Early days on the preservation line I used to work on I regularly used a tractor on the track for various jobs (not usually shifting stock - as it was more fun to get a loco out...!)

• 3 weeks later...

I must admit to be a little surprised by this thread as I'd assumed that shunting tractors were more common. I have in front of me a photo in Colin Maggs, 'Rail Centres: Bristol' showing one shunting coal wagons at Avonmouth in 1980, and I'm sure I've seen other examples.

• 4 weeks later...

The factory in Lancaster where I worked after leaving school in 1960 had a Field Marshall tractor with a steel plate bolted to it. It was used to push wagons up the factory siding but more often when I was there to push start recalcitrant company lorries!

Edward

There used to be something similar here in Hull for working the fruit sheds on the Princes dock side in the 50's. If memory serves, the driver would push his load by only one buffer so as he could look past to see if all was clear. The registration made me look twice as BT was a Beverley issue, that being the East Riding office just six or so miles north of Hull.

Archived