Broadgauge loco kits

• RMweb Gold

One of the plans I am considering for the 2010 challenge is modelling a GWR branchline with a difference, the difference being that it would be built in Broadgauge to P4 standards.

Before I make any decisions about whether or not this will go ahead, I want to get a couple of bits of stock built (after all there's not much point building a layout if you havent got anything to run on it.)

Given that I know next to nothing about what is available from the trade in this area, I'm interested to hear if anyone has any experience with it, particularly where to look for kits etc.

Also with regards to kit making, my current experience with brass is fairly limited (a Colin Craig FGA set, and an S Kits FEA pair) along with some rather poor white metal kits. That said so long as the instructions are good its not a problem (the FGA was a very complicated build, made relatively easy by very good design & instructions). I've been planning to buy one of those chassis building jigs for a while to aid with some other loco chassis I have to build (one day), so I would probably end up buying that prior to starting to make sure everything is square.

I imagine the Broad Gauge Society would be the guys to ask.

They publish a list of bits available in 4mm and 7mm (but really nothing alas in 2mm and I've yet to find a viable source of 8mm dia spoked wheels) in the 3mm world (ie the right gauge)

Of course for the really crazy I'll note that 1:240 on N gauge track is also 7ft ;)

So starting with Z-gauge (1:220) scenery and using Code 40 rails would give a basis for ZB7 (Z-scale, Broad gauge, 7 foot)? :)

How about dual-gauge trackwork? ;)

Adrian

3mm scale track on 2mm is probably easier at that point. There are actually quite a few modelling systems based on broad gauge by "upping" a scale just as narrow gauge goes the other way to get easy access to parts. Eg some of the Indian modelling is 3mm on OO gauge track , which while rather bogus for standard gauge 4mm is excellent for 5'6", and I guess passable for 5'3" gauge in 3mm.

How about a dual gauge branch line, you could have the best of both worlds so if there is not much broadgaugestock about you can run P4 standard gauge. Or just run P4 and date the layout just after conversion

K's did a broad gauge loco MK6 Rover, you would have to go on Ebay, or contact Sherwood Models who sell Nu-Cast locos who do most of the old k's loco kits. Nu-Cast may have some body line only stock gathering dust, worth a try

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the info so far, certainly going to be something I am going to have a go at in the new year, just not sure how far I will take it yet. I'm a little concerned that something as old as the Ks stuff is going to meet my standards for kits. If it requires more than a couple of passes with some wet and dry to clean up cast parts I start to loose interest, if it requires a lot of tidying of parts the white metal tends up end up as a weight inside long wheel base wagons.....

Looking at the photo of the Ks kit on the IKB site they dont really give a very clear impression of the quality, other than the method of motorising it just wont be suitable....

Such a shame that the Finney Rover is only available in 7mm scale.......

How about a dual gauge branch line, you could have the best of both worlds so if there is not much broadgaugestock about you can run P4 standard gauge. Or just run P4 and date the layout just after conversion

K's did a broad gauge loco MK6 Rover, you would have to go on Ebay, or contact Sherwood Models who sell Nu-Cast locos who do most of the old k's loco kits. Nu-Cast may have some body line only stock gathering dust, worth a try

IKB now do all the K's Milestone white metal kits http://www.keykits.n...ogue.aspx?c=IKB Some, if not all, have new compensated chassis. I built the Beyer Peacock 4-4-0 and for some time have been contemplating the Rover but it seems a bit pricey. In 7mm there is also the superb looking Finney Rover http://website.lineo...GWR%20Rover.htm

Archived