Weird Deviation........! All change, how Wearde is that!

BlackRat

Ok thats got your attention, its not some new type of rubber clad fetish (though thats another story.....!!).

Not far from where I live, the original GWR (Broad Gauge) ran across the estuary at Wearde Quay, by way of a a wooden viaduct.

This was eventually replaced at Forder with Forder Viaduct.

So for my diorama, its going to be the original viaduct (with a lot of modellers licence as after all its only 20" X 11"!).

I cant decide on a scale as yet, something I have not done before. :yes:

So its 2mm f/s, 3mm f/s or possibly even S!

A good pal models in S scale GWR Broad Gauge so I can always borrow a loco for posing pics!

It wont be an exact copy as again the size constraints mean I have to adapt it, so hopefully it will look about right (ish).

So offffff we go!

(As the world hasnt ended as predicited today!!!!!). :yahoo:

Hi Wally, no I havent but have borrowed it before from the Library. Day off tomorrow so will nip in and have a looksee.

Did a site visit today, as we regulalry walk the area.

This is definately going to be 'of the impressionist school' as apart from T, theres no way anything else will fit within the space.

Having said that, if it doesnt have to work.....................................!!

Hi mate -

Having said that, if it doesnt have to work.....................................!!

Are you considering a 'perspective approach'? I've got something similar in mind along the lines of some of the dioramas made by Jack Nelson back in the '70's. Might even get from 18.83 down to 'T'....

I'll be watching closely!

Regs

Ian

Bit of a field trip today, as the weather is lovely and needed a leg stretch after the half marathon yesterday!

I had forgotten how wide the estuary is at this point!:rolleyes:

post-7061-0-51094900-1306772261_thumb.jpg

The actual viaduct ran across what looks like the small inlet, roughly about halfway across.

post-7061-0-64562500-1306772313_thumb.jpg

What looks like a load of rubble on the far shore, is the remains of one of the original stone piers. It must have lain here for quite a time now!

Amazing whats left really. Onviously when the track was moved or deviated, lots was left, including the old trackbed and of course all of the infrastructure. And to think, we go on about old railways as if they really began in the 60's!

post-7061-0-12375400-1306772514_thumb.jpg

Its amazing just what you find! This phonebox is tucked away next to the old permenant way, clearly visible in the picture!

post-7061-0-74757700-1306772585_thumb.jpg

And of course just to show who it all belongs to, one of many GWR Boundary Markers. Some are actually im much better condition than this one, they tend to be the ones that are tidal and are under very salty water for most of the time!

post-7061-0-38812100-1306772406_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Day off today so been and got the MDF for the boards etc.

Also bought one of those 'chopper' things to cut the wood/plastic sections.

No excuse now is there?laugh.gif

The one thing is tho its a big bridge and a small board, so it may have to be something 'generic' perhaps, or just the first span.

Will see what develops.................

Well, today having literally cobbled together bits of mdf and flexi ply I came up with this..............laugh1.gif

post-7061-0-36483400-1310480099_thumb.jpg

Unless I am modelling in micro scale (T?) then even a small part is not going to look right.

Having said that, this little lot reminds me of something North Wales 'slatey type of thing', and I have always fancied a bit of 0-16.5 or similar.yes.gif

I think I am going to go for a bridge over very troubled water (a waterfall) and for something different, the water spilling over the front of the base boards and continuing out.

Well, that's today's plan anyway!laugh1.gifrolleyes.giflaugh1.gif

A pleasant hour or so has been spent creating a snow storm in summer.................

post-7061-0-58445000-1310491780_thumb.jpg

All we need to do now is wait for the grab adhesive to go off, then we can really start carving up!

The polystyrene (old packing, good recycling eh!) will then be covered in plaster mixed with a little black poster paint to give the rocks, (limestone?) a basic colour.

Then we can fill the gaps in the wood on the facia and stain/varnish or paint it.

Watch this space................laugh1.gif

Andy, there's so much to see, numerous boundary markers (you will never shift them I know!!), old fencing, GWR broad gauge rail etc all within 5 minutes or so easy walking!

Then,.......................a top pub to relax in on the way home!

Show you round, next time you venture dahn saf!wink.gif

After 'recovering from the morning after last nights SWAG Curry session....................yes.giflaugh1.gifblink.gif

I have been making the sleepers and the wooden planking for the bridge decking.

The sleepers began life as wooden drink stirrers, which were liberated from a theme park in Florida!...............blink.gifrolleyes.gif

post-7061-0-53228700-1310810967_thumb.jpg

Which are then 'chopped' down using my new chopper thingy!

post-7061-0-71411800-1310811034_thumb.jpg

These are then stained in a weakish solution of potassium permanganate(!) mixed with water. It looks bright purple, but when rinsed the purple effect turns brown, which gives the rather pleasing (to me) effect of weathered cereosote............

post-7061-0-80489200-1310811236_thumb.jpg

The only draw back is I have fingers that look like a 40 a day Woodbine man or it could be something worse..................!laugh1.gif

Anyhow, I need to fix them to the bridge deck then start to lay the rail.

Now is it going to be &mm, S or 0-16.5.

Lets start laying and see how it looks!rolleyes.gif

• RMweb Gold

The sleepers began life as wooden drink stirrers, which were liberated from a theme park in Florida!...............blink.gifrolleyes.gif

:laugh: I've 'liberated' many things over the years! In fact the shelving in my garage was liberated from a local skip! :D

Look forward to watching this develop Neil.

Regards,

Nick

I have been making the sleepers and the wooden planking for the bridge decking.

Lets start laying and see how it looks!rolleyes.gif

Aha - going to be a 'US Backwoods' model then???:yes: A Shay would look good!

Regs

Ian

Well the bridge is getting there...............Roughed out a few bits of Wills random stone, of course they need fitting, painting, weathering etc but thats a job for another day!tongue.gif

post-7061-0-54972600-1310831467_thumb.jpg

And with the decking started............

post-7061-0-04992000-1310831576_thumb.jpg

and with a couple of bits of rail off cut, well just to give an effect!

post-7061-0-36275900-1310831745_thumb.jpg

And YES, a Shay would be nice! Wonder where I will get one!

So tomorrow its getting plastered, and then see where we go from there!yes.gifrolleyes.gif

That should tell us where the module is, Cornwall, North Wales or even somewhere in darkest Uncle Sam!laugh1.gif

Been very busy this week, so not a lot of time for modelling, people too busy dying on our roads for that..................sad.gif

So, as a bit of stress relief, I went and got plastered!........

..post-7061-0-13483900-1311280504_thumb.jpg

Basically everything has now been covered with artex, 'textured' and then overpainted with various tones of greyish paint.

This is then 'lowlighted' with a contrasting dark grey and then 'dry sponged' to give a final blending and texturing.

Its then highlighted with light grey and finished by dry brushing white.smile3.gif

post-7061-0-30622500-1311280630_thumb.jpg

The 'grassed areas' have been painted green (I couldn't find me brown!) and the camera/lighting makes it look greener than I was the day I joined the Marines!yes.giflaugh.gif

This will be sealed, have a basic application of ground foam, then all the rest will be hit with my new static grasser.

Lets see if I manage that without getting zapped!rolleyes.giflaugh.gifyes.gif

Added the 'base' to the grass bits, using Woodland Scenics foam, on top of this, will of course go static grass, made to a cunning blend!

Work has started on the river, with a water fall to the rear.

The fall is going to be made using silicon rubber (very popular in the States) and the river will be the same material.

The colouration of the 'bed' will then slightly show through (some hope) if I get it right!laugh1.gifyes.giflaugh1.gif

post-7061-0-41623200-1311526414_thumb.jpg

The river, will go over another 'fall', and off of the front of the board! Well thats todays plan!laugh.gif

Once the wet stuff has been sorted, the static grass will be put on before fixing the bridge, then comes the track laying and the final bridge supports etc.

Watch this space..........................

Well, this is the first attempt at the waterfall, made in a pie dish that was intended for a Clay Hood!

It just needs to dry, then to be peeled off and highlighted and see how it looks in place.

The tin foil has been greased with a little WD40, to help it peel off...........

post-7061-0-22950000-1311594281_thumb.jpg

The silicon sealant has also been squeezed onto the river bed and 'textured' to hopefully give an effect of fast flowing water, of course it will probably need another layer then highlighting, but this is for starters......

post-7061-0-02465500-1311594475_thumb.jpg

And of course the intention was to have the water 'spilling over' the edge of the model............

post-7061-0-85385900-1311594444_thumb.jpg

Well thats all for today modelling wise as work beckons later.

There's still loads to do, but no rush, after all,....................there's still a few months to go!

Let me know what you think..........

You can see now where the first part of the silicone 'waterfall' has been added.

It needs more work, and it needs to look 'wetter'!unsure.gifyes.gif

Still for what its worth...........

post-7061-0-36866200-1311683061_thumb.jpg

And with the bridge..............

post-7061-0-18501000-1311683090_thumb.jpg

I have tried a little 'frothing' (only of the water) by dry brushing to see how it looks...............answers on a postcard please.........laugh1.gif

• RMweb Gold

A quick glance at the first picture, and I thought I was looking down over the waterfall to the bottom... (it's been a long day already !)

You probably need more moss either side of the falling water, and there appears to be a kink in the water itself, but it's looking really good so far.

Have a lie down Stu, and dont go overdoing it!biggrin.gif

The kink is more of an optical illusion, its where the green paint underneath has been rubbed away, just leaving the clear silicone.

I will have to fiddle.

The 'mossing' is a long way off tho!

But as its you wink.gif a quick 15 mins with contact glue and Woodland Scenics, well its a start isn't it.....

post-7061-0-46556200-1311685735_thumb.jpg

and another view...........

post-7061-0-02962500-1311685782_thumb.jpg

But you can see (hopefully) where we are going with this.............................

Quite a bit removed from the original idea!laugh1.gifyes.giflaugh1.gif

Thanks Simon, tho I havent quite worked out what gauge yet or how to do it!

Been playing today with my new toy..............an electrostaic grasser, its great to use and so far.................no shocks!laugh1.gif

Anyhow, here we go for starters........

post-7061-0-43354100-1311770956_thumb.jpg

another view............

post-7061-0-48177700-1311771109_thumb.jpg

and from the other side.

post-7061-0-42831100-1311771134_thumb.jpg

I like the effect the static grass brings and the scene is starting to come together now but there's still a long way to go.

That's the fun tho isn't it, the journey as opposed to reaching the destination, that could be a modern railway strap line!laugh1.gifyes.giflaugh1.gif

Thinking now of an item of rolling stock to build, kit or scratch........any suggestions? (clean please!)laugh.gif

Archived