moorswater viaduct 2FS

bcnPete

• RMweb Gold

one of JVs shots in Diesels in the Duchy..

Thanks Mickey - the inside cover has a fab shot side of a 50 crossing it...can see all that stonework too :blink:

• RMweb Gold

Another Update

I am trying to work on this at least once a week and post progress...so approximately 15 updates left :O

I may have to do away with my 2.4mm thick card frame supports as the front fascia sags so I have tried one side in 5mm foamboard....which still sags :(...however, will deal with that one later when a cunning plan elopes.

As I await my Easitrac order of sleeper base, I decided to map out the base contours around the viaduct. This has been done in a quick and dirty fashion using 5mm foamboard and a glue gun and although it will get a skim of sculptamuld sometime, I do enjoy seeing the contours of the land for the moment - quite architectural.

I will probably start a test of the stone cladding for the viaduct next, beginning with the legs.

I attach some progress shots depicting another cameo of a 47 on Pass crossing over a 37 returning light engine after dropping off clay hoods at moorswater...I think you get the picture :D

post-3290-0-05949000-1307570185_thumb.jpg

5mm foamboard for the contours...

post-3290-0-67540300-1307570200_thumb.jpg

Will receive a layer of sculptamuld soon..

post-3290-0-96396000-1307570216_thumb.jpg

Overall shower upper and lower lines...

• RMweb Gold

You mean 'a la Bryn' style....with tape too? ;) Good idea though...

...I presume you mean at the front to prop the fascia? I was trying to cantilever it to represent the lighting beam on the layout as it will be but perhaps its asking too much from this model. I guess some 5mm mdf would crack it...but then I have to watch the overall dims...I did undersize it to allow a few adjustments...

• RMweb Premium

I was thinking to stiffen the structure, still cantilevering it. It would be a shame to have anything as a prop at the front.

As I was reading this, kebab skewers did spring to mind... but I was beaten to it :rolleyes: On a serious not, could you use the 2.4m card and make a "sandwich board" style arrangement around something like a skewer or some stiff wire?

Looking good Pete, I do love the multi-layer aspect, something rarely covered in this scale!

• RMweb Gold

Can you get Paella on a kebab? laugh1.gif

...I was thinking more eating a kebab on the terrace, shades on and sipping chilled rose :sungum:

could you use the 2.4m card and make a "sandwich board" style arrangement around something like a skewer or some stiff wire?

nice idea Bryn...in architectural engineering terms, a 'flitch beam', often using steel plate sandwiched between two timbers...now thats got me thinking :blink:

Looking good Pete, I do love the multi-layer aspect, something rarely covered in this scale!

Many thanks Bryn

Hi Pete.

When I first started to read the thread I couldn't work out how you were going to make it fit with the layout you are already building. Your drawings explain everything though, this should be a great project and at the end of the day is progress on your layout.

Cheers Peter.

• RMweb Gold

and at the end of the day is progress on your layout.

Hey Peter - Many thanks - Yep...that's the main incentive really, to keep the mojo active during the summer season whilst trying to work within the competition deadline... :slow:

• RMweb Gold

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your kind words - am just awaiting a few components inbound from the UK, then I hope to crack on with it.

BTW, I had a look at your web/blog site - there's some terrific work on there - If you haven't already, you should set up some layout topics/blogs on the forum here of your micro layouts for peeps to see...inspiring stuff :yes:

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Nothing to show I am afraid :cry:

I had hoped that this entry would kick start my modelling mojo again...but after an initial burst it seems to have disappeared.

Not sure why either...it could be a number of things...busy period at work, increase in temperatures here in Barcelona or just a loss of interest in trains overall :O

I can't really pop to an exhibition to get the enthusiasm back either...but we all makes our choices in life.

I guess as July approaches there must be 12 weeks or so left...let's hope that spark ignites again soon :blink:

• RMweb Premium

Hi Pete

Yes, don't give it up - this is a great diorama and it would be a great shame if you let it lie. Having been to Barcelona I can see why there's a million and one other things that would draw your attention away though. Keep going - there's a lot of us, I'm sure, who are looking forward to the next installment.

Mike

Pete. Are you finding something daunting about what you're setting out to achieve in the time that's given to the project? Is there something that could be simplified without impacting on the overall effect or end result. It happens to quite a few of us... this "wall" that we hit, resulting in loss of mojo... or whatever it's called. I often feel the need to stop and sit and write down the tasks that need to be done, listing them all out one by one... breaking the task down into more manageable tasks that can be tackled, and then crossed off. That way, each smaller task gets done and there's less of a monumental wall to climb to get to the end result - perhaps it's a case of "don't try to climb the wall that faces you - look again and use the steps"... if only there was a lift :huh:. I keep a notebook to hand to jot ideas of the "what next" category when I find myself struggling.... as I am a bit now that I've done all the immediate small jobs and now have a painting task to tackle - or perhaps I'll remember some other small job that needs to be done first - where's that list of mine?!?

It's also summer - and there are many things that need to be done.... especially as a Dad! Good luck and stick with it!

• RMweb Gold

I do hope you get the spark back Pete. This is/was turning into something special.

Thanks Sam - I have a slot pencilled in tomorrow night for modelling - let's see what can happen...

Yes, don't give it up - this is a great diorama and it would be a great shame if you let it lie. Having been to Barcelona I can see why there's a million and one other things that would draw your attention away though. Keep going - there's a lot of us, I'm sure, who are looking forward to the next installment.

Thanks also Mike - I need to remind myself that it was started to 'jump start' my modelling to complete the extract that it is extracted from! Am still awaiting my order of sleeper bases to arrive from the UK but that is a flimsy excuse as there are plenty of other things to be getting on with...perhaps its the daunting stonework that is terrifying me!

Pete. Are you finding something daunting about what you're setting out to achieve in the time that's given to the project? Is there something that could be simplified without impacting on the overall effect or end result. It happens to quite a few of us... this "wall" that we hit, resulting in loss of mojo... or whatever it's called. I often feel the need to stop and sit and write down the tasks that need to be done, listing them all out one by one... breaking the task down into more manageable tasks that can be tackled, and then crossed off. That way, each smaller task gets done and there's less of a monumental wall to climb to get to the end result - perhaps it's a case of "don't try to climb the wall that faces you - look again and use the steps"... if only there was a lift :huh:. I keep a notebook to hand to jot ideas of the "what next" category when I find myself struggling.... as I am a bit now that I've done all the immediate small jobs and now have a painting task to tackle - or perhaps I'll remember some other small job that needs to be done first - where's that list of mine?!?

It's also summer - and there are many things that need to be done.... especially as a Dad! Good luck and stick with it!

Jon - Many thanks also. It could be the stonework...but I just need to actually start it, I think. The task breakdown is a good idea...strange as I do that sort of thing in my dayjob, but modelling tends to be a little adhoc, with much going on in my head to try and ensure I can maximise the few hours spent each week. My sketchbook has architectural ideas at the front...and modelling ideas working from the back...often the two get to meet - I will definitely try this approoach and set myself some sort of programme...which includes drawing an etch for the handrail and getting it sent to be produced.

Thank you all for the interest in my project - I already feel inspired again to get back in and try and resurrect it... :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Pete,

In any creative activity, sometimes you hit a wall. You could call it "modellers' block."

I find the same thing maybe once or twice a year. It usually lasts a week or month or two. Sometimes it comes back on its own, sometimes a deadline helps, sometimes going to a show gets me "back in the mood."

But I say don't worry about it; go and do other stuff and come back round to your modelling when you're ready.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Ben,

Yes, I have had a few cases of it since I restarted the hobby about 4 years ago...some of my blogs tracked the highs as well as the lows.

But as you say sometimes, if we force the issue it doesn't always help...it will return...hopefully soon.

I tried very hard to overcome modellers block a few years ago, but it gets back at you in the end!

I took a complete break for a while, abandoning old projects and ideas completely. I found other things to do for a while. Almost 2 years later, the appetite returned and I took a completely fresh start. Now, I am enjoying modelling far more than I have done for a very long time and I now have a far more objective view of what I would like to achieve or can achieve in reality.

Model railways is a hobby and we are supposed to do it because we enjoy it, not because we feel under pressure to do so from friends. Find another hobby, another scale or at least something that takes you away from what you are doing for a while. If it worked in a desperate case like mine, it should work for you too.:rolleyes:

Pete... glad to see that you're ok and that if we were able to help in any way, then that's great - this is, after all, something that this forum of Andy's is so useful for... and that makes it so important for the continuation and growth of this "hobby". Glad you're back on the road again.. and I'll be watching for updated. I too went back to my list tonight and completed two other jobs on my Nimbus... time to face the airbrush begins to loom :huh:

Archived