Ixion Model Railways Ltd - New RTR 7mm HC Tank

ixionmodels

POSTED BY IXION MODELS DIRECTOR LINDSAY O'REILLY. Please note - I won't have much time to contribute to this thread, as I'm working on changes to the CAD to finalise it ready for tooling. But I'll check back in every few days...

post-3944-0-65967900-1307779050_thumb.jpg

IXION MODEL RAILWAYS ANNOUNCES THEIR NEWEST PROJECT:

THE O GAUGE HUDSWELL CLARKE STANDARD 13in x 20in INSIDE CYLINDER 0-6-0 CONTRACTOR’S STANDARD GAUGE SADDLE TANK LOCOMOTIVE IN 7MM ‘O’ SCALE (1:43.5)

Saturday June 11th, 2011:

Ixion Model Railways announces the production of a finescale injection-moulded O Gauge model of the Hudswell Clarke standard 13in x 20in inside cylinder 0-6-0 contractor’s saddle tank locomotive in 7mm scale (1:43.5, for 32mm standard gauge). Images of the final CAD will be posted soon on www.ixionmodels.com, but earlier ones can currently be seen at BRM's online site at https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/Ixion_O_Gauge_Hudswell_Clarke_Saddle_Tank_Locomotive/. ONE IMAGE IS ATTACHED HERE

This locomotive, Ixion’s third product, once again reflects the Ixion Directors’ own diverse interests in the railways of the United Kingdom and Australia, catering as it does to steam era modellers of the railways of both Great Britain, and New South Wales. The CAD design work for this engine is almost complete.

PROTOTYPE INFO

On February 15, 1888, the first of a new class of 24-ton standard contractor’s industrial tank locomotives, Maker’s No. 299, rolled off the production line of the Railway Foundry, Leeds. This saddle tank featured 13†x 20†inside cylinders, and a simple, robust design and construction. Later known as the firm of Hudswell Clarke, this manufacturer eventually had produced eighty of this class of locomotive when the final engine, Maker’s No. 1750, was completed on July 19th 1946.

Over a period of over 70 years, these little engines worked on Light Railways (famously including the Easingwold Railway, whose loco No.2 was of this class), railway construction duties, in collieries and government and private industrial facilities across Britain.

One engine, Maker’s No. 1530, of 1926 was bought by the Sydney County Council in Australia, and worked the Bunnerong Power Station sidings until its sale in 1947. It ended its days at the Wallarah Colliery at Catherine Hill Bay, south of Newcastle, NSW.

Three examples of the class have survived into preservation, though none is operational.

MORE ABOUT THE MODEL:

Made in the same Chinese factory which produced our acclaimed On30 Coffee Pot models, this superior model will feature:

• An injection-moulded, painted, ready-to-run body and chassis

• Finescale wheels

• Six-wheel electrical pickup

• High-torque flywheel-equipped motor, driving the rear axle

• 40:1 precision gearbox

• Compensated chassis

• DCC and sound ready, with provision for easy speaker installation

• Full cab detail

• Sprung buffers

• Hook drawgear, with three-link couplings

• Choice of three liveries: lined maroon, lined green, and lined blue

• Included is an etched brass fret containing a selection of prototypically correct cabside Maker’s plates, plus suitable saddletank nameplates, and engine number plates

• Also included is a set of injection-moulded 7mm scale loco tools.

Final price is to be confirmed due to the possible effects of currency movements, but we expect the recommended retail price to be £325.00, and available in model shops.

As we intend this model to be as widely available as possible, trade enquiries from model railway retailers are warmly invited.

We use our website www.ixionmodels.com to provide regular updates on the progress of all Ixion products. Additional details of liveries, pilot models, delivery dates etc will be placed on the website as they are finalised.

Cheers, Lindsay.

Hmm, one of those, a handful of wagons/vans, maybe a Terrier and a couple of 4 wheel coaches.... - I'm thinking bucolic Light Railway...

Keep dreaming son, you didn't get one number on the lottery last night :( !

Very nice though, and a much requested prototype (or at least, 'type' of prototype) - deserves to do well and I might be interested in a 4mm one at some point.

• 2 weeks later...

I have tonight updated the Ixion website at www.ixionmodels.com to include some additional details of this model, and a variety of views of the finished CAD drawing. We have signed off on this, and tooling is now underway. All being well, (and fingers crossed!) these locos will be available for sale before Christmas this year.

Cheers,

Lindsay O'Reilly

Ixion Model Railways Ltd.

post-3944-0-59689900-1309269018_thumb.jpg

This looks like it will be a nice model.

It would be nice in 4mm & 2mm scales then again I do like small tank engines so how about some Pecketts some other Hudswell Clarke locos etc!

I might be tempted with one of these though.

keep up the good work.

Mark

All being well, (and fingers crossed!) these locos will be available for sale before Christmas this year.

Yikes, time to start saving the old pocket money then!

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Being very careful to say nothing more than "look here" for fear of being accused of self promotion there is a link to a video of the first engineering prototype being test run in China on this page

http://www.ngtrains....sell_clark.html

Much will probably change as this is just the first prototype and its now been shipped to Oz for assesment by Ixion

I was sent the video by Ixion and given permission to share it

I dont model standard gauge but I might be once this arrives.

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Being very careful to say nothing more than "look here" for fear of being accused of self promotion there is a link to a video of the first engineering prototype being test run in China on this page

http://www.ngtrains....sell_clark.html

Much will probably change as this is just the first prototype and its now been shipped to Oz for assesment by Ixion

I was sent the video by Ixion and given permission to share it

I dont model standard gauge but I might be once this arrives.

The Ixion 7mm scale Hudswell Clarke loco mentioned above is due early next year and is available to order from forum sponsor EDM Models at a special introductory price of £240 (inc postage)

http://www.ngtrains.com/Pages/Ixion/hudsell_clark.html

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bitten the bullet and placed an order for a Maroon locomotive.

I have to say the photos look superb on the Ixion website - and the MP4 video is what swayed it for me. The engine looked very happy pulling away at such a slow scale speed with its load of a couple of wagons. And negotiations resulted in the order - provided I slim down my 4mm fleet further that is :D

I am looking forwards to this one; will there be more pre-production photos in the near future? I am very interested to see what the liveries look like in the flesh.

Cheers,

~ Gary

• RMweb Premium

Sorry Gary - not seen any yet - the sample I managed to get my hands on just for a few minutes at Warley was in grey unpainted plastic as shown on the Ixion site in photos by Chris Nevard taken for Model Rail. http://www.ixionmodels.com/welcome_page.htm I would guess that most would be well weathered in industrial use anyway - the latest Model Rail has an article about weathering the Tower Pug - and that's almost twice as expensive ! Looking again at the photos of the Pug, the 'rust' on the footplate and around the bottom of the smokebox door looks too red to me ??

Mike

• RMweb Gold

I've just bitten the bullet and placed an order for a Maroon locomotive.

I have to say the photos look superb on the Ixion website - and the MP4 video is what swayed it for me. The engine looked very happy pulling away at such a slow scale speed with its load of a couple of wagons. And negotiations resulted in the order - provided I slim down my 4mm fleet further that is :D

I am looking forwards to this one; will there be more pre-production photos in the near future? I am very interested to see what the liveries look like in the flesh.

Cheers,

~ Gary

Gary

It is hoped that decorated pre-production examples will be available in photo's of the models in China if not having made it to Oz or the UK before Christmas.

The model seen in the video and in the picture below are of the first engineering prototype which is made to prove the concept and to highlight any changes that may be needed,

post-2660-0-57686700-1323127290.jpg

Credit for the photo is to Chris Nevard.

The word from Ixion is that they are delighted with the model but that it has done its job as the discussion piece for the continued development of the model. The list of changes for the next iteration is quite lengthy but none of it earth shattering. Obvious things to attend to are the handrails and the steps.

As with this test model I would expect Ixion will get photo's from the factory in China that will wing there electronic way at light speed whilst the prototypes are in the mail first to Australia for 2/3rds of the Ixion team to review before heading to the UK for the UK1/3rd of Ixion to see them.

I will post pictures as soon as I get some I am allowed to share

• 1 month later...

Gary

It is hoped that decorated pre-production examples will be available in photo's of the models in China if not having made it to Oz or the UK before Christmas.

The model seen in the video and in the picture below are of the first engineering prototype which is made to prove the concept and to highlight any changes that may be needed,

post-2660-0-57686700-1323127290.jpg

Credit for the photo is to Chris Nevard.

The word from Ixion is that they are delighted with the model but that it has done its job as the discussion piece for the continued development of the model. The list of changes for the next iteration is quite lengthy but none of it earth shattering. Obvious things to attend to are the handrails and the steps.

As with this test model I would expect Ixion will get photo's from the factory in China that will wing there electronic way at light speed whilst the prototypes are in the mail first to Australia for 2/3rds of the Ixion team to review before heading to the UK for the UK1/3rd of Ixion to see them.

I will post pictures as soon as I get some I am allowed to share

This is Chris Klein from Ixion. I tested the EP at home. It pulled six wagons weighing in total 0.3kg from a standing-start on a 1:18 gradient. Performance was good for a proving prototype.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

You wanted Black - you can get Black

That's right - Ixion has listened to their customers and dropped the blue loco in favour of unlined black. I have copied the information below from a posting by Ixion to the 7mmYahoo Group

Following evaluation of feedback from customers and retailers, we have decided to replace the lined blue livery with unlined black. The white/black/white lining will now appear on the green livery, as shown in the photo.

There will be a slight delay, as we are having two sections of the model re-tooled in order to remove unsightly join lines. The whole saddle tank will now lift off to access the DCC socket, eliminating the join seen in the photo. The second area is the bunker, which will eliminate the join seen in the photos of the first EP which can be viewed (along with high-res images of the new liveries) on the "7mm Hudswell Clarke" page of the website.

Samples of the black and maroon liveries should be available after Chinese New Year, and I will post photos as soon as we have them. The production run will hopefully commence in late February, and we anticipate delivery in late March/early April.

Paul Martin from EDM Models has also advised all his customers that Black is now available. We had the original Engineering Prototype at our Derby Open Day on Saturday and this attracted a lot of interest and a couple more orders - thanks to Alan for providing the demo layout - photos can be found here - note that his layout is for sale! http://www.rmweb.co....gauge-open-day/ and also here http://www.rmweb.co....39574-ramsdale/

Copied from the EDM Newsletter

We have had the EP to play with for a couple of weeks and at both our Yorks area monthly meeting and at the Mickleover “do†last Saturday it impressed all who saw it.

Since then this photo of a second EP done up in one of the liveries has arrived and it looks the business.

Many who saw the EP commented on things they would like to see improved and many of them are being implemented anyway.

Just below the handrail on the saddle tank of the EP there is a join which has now been moved to under the tank. A similar join in the rear bunker is moved to the bottom. Brass rather than plastic steps are being fitted as are finer 3 link couplings. The EP has plastic handrails and whilst it was Ixion’s wish to change them for metal I understand they will be improved but will remain plastic, metal having been ruled out on cost grounds. They are pretty easy to change anyway.

Just to put this in perspective, commissioning this loco has cost $100,000, the changes have cost another $6000 and to offer the loco as a budget model the line has to be drawn somewhere

Mike

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Ixion have just posted photos of the final pre-production Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0ST in O gauge - lovely. Mine's a red one! The droopy handrails and skirt under the boiler will need attention, methinks...

http://www.ixionmode...elcome_page.htm

Now that the news is out in the public domain, I can copy below the contents of an email I had direct from Chris Klein, the UK Director of Ixion with copies of the photos that are now on their web site

The third EPs with the revised tooling for the Hudswell Clarke arrived last week. We are very happy with the new tooling, which has rendered the joint lines on the saddletank and bunker virtually invisible. We are also very pleased with the quality of the lining. However, we are not content with the shades of the green and red version and these will be revised. The green will be similar to Humbrol Matt 80 "Grass Green" and the red version will be Renault Estrucan Red. We are very close to ordering the production run.

I was hoping to get mine before the Derby show this weekend as Hospital Gates is there and that's the sort of layout that would use a loco like this - as I have no plans yet for a layout then I don't mind waiting a few more weeks. However, Chris will be at the Reading show this coming weekend, on the Dragon Models stand if you'd like to see all these models 'in the flesh'

Mike

• 1 month later...

Sorry that this isn't directly a model reply but there is an operational HC tank loco: See > www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJDGK5BoeUs

Sir William McAlpine bought his in the early '60's for £100 and moved it to his home at Fawley, Bucks where it can still be enjoyed working as per my link above.

Cheers,

Dudley

• 1 month later...
Guest Isambarduk

I am still eagerly awaiting delivery of my HC, due beginning of August so not long to wait now …

I ordered a black one with a view to modelling a Great Central Railway class 4 – as in No. 278 ‘Humber’ of 1909 (see www.flickr.com/photos/phil-seaford/6140058294/), later LNER class J61 No. 5278 (see http://d240vprofozpi.cloudfront.net/locos/J/j61_2.jpg from www.lner.info/locos/J/j61.shtml).

Originally a contractors loco, it entered GCR ownership in 1911 but can anybody tell me what the livery was – I assume that it was all over unlined black but I would be delighted to be told other wise. Were the numerals straw/shaded red?

I would be grateful for any information – or where it might be found. Thanks.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Just had a browse on the Ixion Website and there has been a long awaited (by me) news update.

Looks like the 7mm Scale Terminus that I have been planning and laying track down might just be getting its first Locomotive in the (very) near future. On the Hudswell Clarke page there are some very fine close up pictures of the locos including the brass builders plates. And the home page has some details for UK Stockists as well.

Looking forwards to this - big thanks to Ixion! The models look fantastic.

Cheers,

~ Gary

That red one looks beautiful. Must just check with EDM that it's a red one I have ordered - mind you the green one looks very nice too......decisions......decisions........

Archived