Favourite "One Stop" Suppliers in the USA, UK (or anywhere)

trisonic

The internet "store" I use the most is M.B. Klein (modeltrainstuff.com) They also have a retail shop in Maryland which I plan to visit next year when my son moves down to that area for work - need to start saving now lol.  Another source I've used is TrainWorld in Brooklyn.  I've ordered from them several times several years ago (via phone as they didn't have a website) and was blown away by their superfast shipping.  I also visited their store in Brooklyn - way small shop as mail order really is their lifeline, but it was fun as there was an EL right outside (elevated portion of the subway).  Unfortunately I don't know if either ships internationally.

If you are taking a road trip that way, the Strasburg Train Shop (near the Strasburg Railroad and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, beside the Choo-Choo Barn) in Strasburg, PA is ok, as is Strasburg Station store in the Rockvale Outlets mall in Lancaster, PA (just north of Strasburg on US30). The Model Railroad Shop in Piscataway, NJ is also worth a visit. The M.B. Klein retail store is pretty good too.

Adrian

• 5 months later...

If you are taking a road trip that way, the Strasburg Train Shop (near the Strasburg Railroad and the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, beside the Choo-Choo Barn) in Strasburg, PA is ok, as is Strasburg Station store in the Rockvale Outlets mall in Lancaster, PA (just north of Strasburg on US30). The Model Railroad Shop in Piscataway, NJ is also worth a visit. The M.B. Klein retail store is pretty good too.

Adrian

Update: the Strasburg Station store in Rockvale Outlets closed early this year.

Adrian

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just got back from the Indianapolis O-scale Show.  OK, OK, I had to pay back the missus by letting her go with the girls to Spain.  Hang on - I did OK didn't I...?  Anyway, good 2-rail shops were there: P&D, Des Plaines, NormsOscale and many other traders.  As usual, in conversation they had stuff 'back at the store' so a call is necessary. 

Just to say that there are several cheap phone call services out there.  I use 18185 and my calls to all of the retailers mentioned are 2p per minute.  Even when they say "Hang on I'll just go and look" I still smile.  And not just BT customers, I'm with Virgin, most services are covered.

Jason

• 6 months later...

As above

whilst looking for new watering holes in York over the weekend, i discovered a new model shop

Cutty blacks models

38 Huby Court

Walmgate

YO1 9UD

01904 636150

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Walmgate+Bar+Launderette/@53.95566,-1.071485,328m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x436784e9803be1b3!8m2!3d53.9556501!4d-1.0715392?hl=en-GB

to my surprise it was full of American HO and N gauge, Atlas ,Intermountain, Athearn rtr ,Genesis, Walthers  etc, even some Atlas O gauge 

no website but does mail order, worth a look if your in York, i came out a little lighter in the pocket!!

Ray

P.S go in there first then head up Walmgate and visit Brew York!!!

THANK YOU, LOYAL CABOOSE FANS FOR YOUR AWESOME SHOW OF SUPPORT AT OUR GRAND RE-OPENING LAST WEEK! THIS WEEK WE HAVE EVEN MORE AWESOME STUFF FOR YOU!

Taken from their website

Now under new ownership and in new Premises - Haven't heard anything detrimental about stock, service or premises - good luck to them!

whilst looking for new watering holes in York over the weekend, i discovered a new model shop...

I bet you'd told the Mrs you were visiting the York model railway Show!! Perfect cover!! :D

to my surprise it was full of American HO and N gauge, Atlas ,Intermountain, Athearn rtr ,Genesis, Walthers  etc, even some Atlas O gauge 

no website but does mail order, worth a look if your in York, i came out a little lighter in the pocket!!

Atlas O..?? 2-Rail Atlas O..?? I really didn't need to know that... :nono: :mosking:

Edited by F-UnitMad

Model Junction had some of the Scaletrains modern tank cars in stock a few months ago, but looks like they've all gone.

Their also showing 'Advance Reservations' for Scaletrains SD40-2 and GE Tier 4 Gevo locos.

http://www.modeljunction.info/estore/product_info.php?cPath=25_27_71&products_id=44652

Thanks, they've got advance reservations on carbon black hoppers as well, which is what I was looking for

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to a hobby shop just north of Montreal on Wednesday...it has been nicknamed The Mothership. Long-story short....owner rich and doesn't care if stock sells or not..he sells at MSRP, no deals,no discounts. He probably has $2-3 million dollars of inventory, including stuff going back to the early 1990s...those he sells at 1990 MSRP. No website,no internet connection...strictly old-school.

post-6759-0-20206000-1501855619_thumb.jpg

post-6759-0-97297800-1501855658_thumb.jpg

post-6759-0-35670400-1501855977_thumb.jpg

post-6759-0-96190900-1501856027_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to find some good suppliers of On30 or O gauge model details in the UK. It seems to me that our American cousins are not so well supplied with kits for such things as, water towers, switching signals or buildings and the parts that make these things up as we are in the UK hobby.

So here in the UK can I buy the bits and pieces I need to detail an On30 line like the RGS, and before anyone says, I know it wasn't 2'6" gauge, but I use it as an example.

Any help would be useful. 

Cheers,

Mike

• 3 months later...

Hi as any member purchased from Hogz Trains, they have some of the fox valley HO GP60s and are quoting me $10 shipping!!!! well the order page is,,seems very cheap.

Thanks

TT

Beware! Importing locos from the US can be very expensive. I have bought dcc soundlocos from Trainworld, Brooklyn, who now have a minimum overseas shipping cost of $40.00! Despite the postage and vat locos still work out cheaper than buying from Gaugemaster.

Try to obtain an estimate for shipping from Hogz Trains. But don't forget there will be vat to pay.

Edited by Alcanman

Thanks ive done it many times before but Ive taken a break through an accident at work and for my sons first year in life, wow lots changed im used to a love letter from parcelforce! ebay USED to be good but boy some exhorbitant shipping prices via their Erlanger centre makes a multiple purchase totally unviable, this had just started when i took my break from the hobby.

Ive used Spring Creek in the past might try them again.