Favourite "One Stop" Suppliers in the USA, UK (or anywhere)

trisonic

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Visited Des Plains store in Des Plains, about 4 miles North of Chicago O a Hare.

It's four years since we last visited and it's now in a new location with even more stock than before. Picked up some switch stands that I needed for Fort Myers and some more N scale NS heritage locos for a future project.

ALs Hobbies in Elmhurst is closed at present but they are hoping to reopen but no date given. Wasn't a wasted visit as we got some shots of a UP double stack train passing the station.

Ian

• 1 month later...

Please does anyone know of a current UK stockist of Intermountain O scale wheelsets? Or any other wheelsets to convert Atlas 3 rail to 2 rail?

Team Track Trading in Cornwall. £8 per set of 4 axles, free P&P for orders over 3 sets.

http://www.teamtracktrading.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=554&subCat=1355

Satisfied customer here. :)

They replace the likes of Weaver plastic wheels. Usually to convert Atlas 3-rail to 2-rail I've done a complete swap of the trucks, which is the easiest way. I've ordered the trucks usually from US Ebay sellers, so not the cheapest, but the rotating bearing caps on Atlas trucks are so enticing.... ;)

Team Track Trading in Cornwall. £8 per set of 4 axles, free P&P for orders over 3 sets.

http://www.teamtracktrading.co.uk/catalogue.php?cat=554&subCat=1355

Satisfied customer here. :)

They replace the likes of Weaver plastic wheels. Usually to convert Atlas 3-rail to 2-rail I've done a complete swap of the trucks, which is the easiest way. I've ordered the trucks usually from US Ebay sellers, so not the cheapest, but the rotating bearing caps on Atlas trucks are so enticing.... ;)

Thanks for the reply, I did order from Team Track but they are out of stock and refunded my payment. I was wondering if there is a readily available alternative to Intermountain?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi There.

I use these firms because I know they are honest and quick.

I mention eBay as well and have had great success with them.

But I only know about O Scale items

Valley Model trains: Structure kits scenery items

P&D hobby shop:  Wheels, couplers, Loco parts, sometimes rolling stock very good service.

Model Tech: Scenary items

Trainworld: Rolling Stock

Die cast direct: Model cars and trucks

Weaver: (at their website direct, mainly rolling stock you pay more but they are very good and quick if they have the items in stock)

eBay: Well just about anything!

• 3 weeks later...

Always seek out local supplier when in North America and just had a fruitful stop at Dailey Hobbies in Whitby Ontario. Not the biggest range but some interesting stuff (also some fab old FROG plastic kits).

Interestingly the owner told my wife - who got dragged along that they were having people travel hours to them to get paint because of mail restrictions on sending then through the post....and I thought that was just a Royal Mail thing!

Edited by Buckley Wells

• 7 months later...

I have found the lowest prices anywhere in the US, for anything Walthers stocks, to be Blue Ridge Hobbies, in SC.  Blue Ridge Hobbies

There website is not the easiest to use, but you can search using Walthers stock numbers. If the do not have it in stock, but Walthers does, there can be a few days longer wait, but they order from Walthers on a daily basis.

Not sure those in the UK would benefit, they do ship international, but not sure their polocies would be worth it, unless the prices made it so.

Jim F

PS: I do have a local shop, thought it's not as well stocked as it was in it's heyday. The Little Choo Choo Shop, in Spencer NC. If visiting the area, it's worth a stop, and then one could visit the NC Transportation Museum right across the street. It's housed in the old Southern Railway Spencer shops. many of the buildings have been refurbished, the roundhouse has a full working restoration shop and a working turntable.

Edited by JimF51

• 2 months later...

I popped in to TrainMaster models when working in Georgia last year.

The shop was really good, though stock of locos seemed quite thin.

lots of "New Old Stock" and a good used selection, and one of the more interesting in-store layouts that i've seen.

Picked up an Athearn Genesis sound fitted N&S SD60MAC as a memento of my visit.

Plus, it's nicely placed for some 1:1 scale action - this is just across the road...

https://youtu.be/Gg3Rk2axovg

Edited by Trains4U
  • Like 2

Gareth, you sell American stuff (especially, ooh let me suggest*..... AtlasO 2-rail :D ) & we'll come running... :yes: ;)

*Edit: and Kadees, & Intermountain wheelsets, & Grandt Line, Detail Associates, etc etc..... dribble dribble dribble....

Edited by F-UnitMad

Not sure how he compares pricewise - though my dealings with him have been fine - But do a search on ebay for "Bob the train Guy" in south Carolina, his ebay store listing is under r.m.bowditch

Bob the train guy also has an online shop too, with some attractive prices, got my last Eel River Beer car off him, 5 star quick service :)

http://www.bobthetrainguy.com/

Model junction here in the UK have been very helpful to me the last few weeks and Ive put in a few pre orders from them. I've also have some bits coming from LSWR models ( the penguin )he also has been very helpful

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered for the first time from PWRS (http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/) excellent service and Ive enrolled on their online purchase system (porters) however, I ordered my loco and they call you for first time orders ,,even to here the UK with a good 10 minute chat too!! they even e-mail you to ask as to what time you'd like to be called!!.

Loco in post see how long it takes,,,report back..

• 4 months later...

The internet "store" I use the most is M.B. Klein (modeltrainstuff.com) They also have a retail shop in Maryland which I plan to visit next year when my son moves down to that area for work - need to start saving now lol.  Another source I've used is TrainWorld in Brooklyn.  I've ordered from them several times several years ago (via phone as they didn't have a website) and was blown away by their superfast shipping.  I also visited their store in Brooklyn - way small shop as mail order really is their lifeline, but it was fun as there was an EL right outside (elevated portion of the subway).  Unfortunately I don't know if either ships internationally.

I can also put my vote down for M.B. Klein and Trainworld as my go to stores on the net.

Fast service and friendly reply's to e-mails.

Then I also had some good service from j-tprantle on e-bay.

If it was not for the current state of my local currency (which are turning into toilet paper at a rapid rate) these stores would get a lot more business from me.

Cheers!

Jacques

Edited by jrossouw79

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered for the first time from PWRS (http://www.pacific-western-rail.com/) excellent service and Ive enrolled on their online purchase system (porters) however, I ordered my loco and they call you for first time orders ,,even to here the UK with a good 10 minute chat too!! they even e-mail you to ask as to what time you'd like to be called!!.

Loco in post see how long it takes,,,report back..

Has it turned up yet??