Favourite "One Stop" Suppliers in the USA, UK (or anywhere)

trisonic

I've used MB Klien and Walthers when ordering from the US and both are pretty good.

With a slight tangent I order Microscale decals direct from them, much easier, quicker, with a better range and a useful sized preview and unless you're buying loads it comes in a flat envelope and doesn't usually attract the attention of customs. ;)

According to their website, they don't :-(

"TrainMaster ships to the United States only. All purchases are shipped through our choice of carrier and service. Shipping is FREE for orders over $99.99. There will be a flat shipping fee of $8.95 for orders under $99.99. Any special request for shipping will be paid by the customer."

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Just had a delivery of bits and bobs from Model Tech Studios. Mainly, castings etc (you cannot get a pile of trash with a skunk on it over here.)

Their service was really prompt and best of all i did not have to pay anything extra on delivery to Royal Mail or our money grabbing government via costoms and excise.

George

never heard of them either, whereabouts are they George?

Hi Jon

As Gene says they are in New Hampshire. They have 2 web addresses

www.modeltechstudios.com

and

www.finishedmodels.com

I ordered castings for 50s telephone boxes,50s vending machines and various other "clutter" including the skunk that i mentioned before. The casting are resin and are very clean and free of flash. I also had a few of the finished ones as they were not much more in price.

One of the troubles we have in the UK seems to be that we cannot get all the small accessories that help finish a layout from one source. I also wanted a couple of 50s Phillips 66 gas pumps but they did not do them. So looked on the net and found pictures of pumps at a route 66 gas station. As i had some suitable decals i made up two of my own. Though i say it myself they look pretty good. I would post a couple of photos but i just cannot get them on here even after following the advice that Shortliner sent me.

George

www.oakridgecanyon.co.uk

Edited by mr roarke

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Yesterday(2nd Dec) i ordered an on30 Whitcomb Centre Cab diesel kit from Backwoods Miniatures an it was delivered this morning at 9.00am. I know they are a UK company but they obviously dealt with my order straight away. Now i await the delivery of the Athearn SW1500 which is coming from the USA. Not in a hurry for it as the household authorities will not let me have it until Christmas Day. Hoping that there is enough room inside the body for a sound chip. As the layout is not going out to its first exhibition at Halifax later next year i have got plenty of time.

Happy xmas to all

George :jester: :jester: :jester:

• 5 weeks later...

DCCTrain in Ohio is very keenly priced for TCS decoders and NCE equipment. Rob Gruber is the man there, and he has looked after me for a few years now - getting stuff airmailed to down under from the US with no hassles at all. Highly recommended as a one stop DCC related supplier. Biggest hassle is the bright pink web page - makes it hard to sneak a look in when I am at work!!!!

Whilst RMweb was down, I found this very useful Canadian Supplier of Decals, with very reasonable Shipping to the UK...

http://www.tmrdistributing.com/

This is why I haven't re-posted my Decals request I posted just before RMweb blew up, and took my post with it, it seems...!! :D

I replied to that post F-Unit but it would appear that the site went down before you read it so here goes again! Anyway, all I said was why not try Microscale direct?

http://www.microscal...tegory_Code=SOO

They are perfectly happy to supply small orders because I have ordered as little as 3 sheets from them. There is a very efficient lady called Rachel who deals with orders so you could contact her at their inquiry address and see what she says:

info@microscale.com

Cheers

Willy

Edited by Willy

... why not try Microscale direct?

Thanks for your reply Willy, I didn't see it.

I did look at their website - to get the exact sheet codes for one thing!! But I think it was their 'blanket' $10 shipping charge put me off for just a two-sheet order.

TMR's Shipping was $4.25 Canadian... ;)

Thanks for the TMR link, think I'll give them a go as I need quite a few decals soon.

TMR also has the great virtue of being at all the better shows in southern Ontario so you can see the goods before you buy and get to know Terry.

Cheers,

David

Thanks for your reply Willy, I didn't see it.

I did look at their website - to get the exact sheet codes for one thing!! But I think it was their 'blanket' $10 shipping charge put me off for just a two-sheet order.

TMR's Shipping was $4.25 Canadian... ;)

You are right about the postage and I think hard about it each time but I get such a good service that I feel it is worth it especially when I order around 10 sheets.

Willy

I have found Tony's Train Exchange an excellent resource for DCC Supplies as well as some Peco Code 75 track. Quick communication and postage as well as very competative pricing. Here in Portland, I frequent the Hobby Smith mainly for Digitrax decoders and scenery supplies. The Whistle Stop is also very well stocked but a ways away over in East Portland. For British outline, I have used Britannia Models just over the border in South Surrey, BC Canada.

For other overseas orders, I have also used Hattons who don't charge VAT which offsets the postage!

• RMweb Gold

We visited Hobbysmith for the first time last Summer and was an easy walk from the UniverslCity light rail stop. There's also a very good pub that brews its own beer to stop by and check out the goodies you have just purchased in Hobbysmith!

A well stocked model railroad shop and well worth visiting if you are in the area.

Ian

Here in Portland, I frequent the Hobby Smith mainly for Digitrax decoders and scenery supplies.

We visited Hobbysmith for the first time last Summer and was an easy walk from the UniverslCity light rail stop. There's also a very good pub that brews its own beer to stop by and check out the goodies you have just purchased in Hobbysmith!

A well stocked model railroad shop and well worth visiting if you are in the area.

The Hobby Smith in the Hollywood district is my regular haunt for North American items. I am very happy to give Ron (the owner) my custom and I usually pre-order my North American items from him. The current location (next to the Baskin Robbins) is much nicer than the old one in the basement of the Rite Aid building (formerly Fred Meyers).

I haven't visited the site of the old Laurelwood brewpub (now Columbia River Brewing) since it transformed into Laurelwood Pizza (it still looks that way on Google maps streetview) when the Laurelwood label moved up Sandy Blvd and opened new locations - including two outlets at the airport.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, its Hollywood (not Universal) as you say, with the Red Blue and Green MAX lightrail services serving this stop, the red line being the line to the airport.

Yes PDX airport has a Rogue brewery bar and two Laurelwood brewery bars - well worth checking in early!!

Ian

Yes - Portland (and Oregon) does have a thriving micro-brew industry - Glad to see people frequent the Hobby Smith - very helpful and well stocked (apart from a TCS 2x-UK on order!) - it's why I bought my Digitrax from them.

Charles

Edited by East Anglian