Boxfile Basics

</p>You could easily build a plywood box to hold a layout much stronger but without the discipline of sticking to the boxfiles you would make it a bit bigger here, deeper there and totally destroy the idea.

In essence, just what I'm doing by chaining 5(6) boxfiles together.

In principle, the idea is to be able to isolate any one of the scenic units as a diorama or small shunty. But in reality they must be attacked as a whole at this stage or they simply will not connect together as such.

Most of my problem with this is the continual distraction to other things / kits.

The intention was to use scrap settrack that had been found in the same clear-out, however I now find that much of it is in such a bad shape (broken sleepers) that I am going to be a few lengths short. The though of going into my local model shop and being recognised buy such items is quite off-putting.

• RMweb Gold

Lay the track under cobbles, or use lots of ballast (or put up an anonymous request on here for some kindly soul to dispose of some of their excess track to you).

But I do like what you've done so far .

Cobbles would be a bit out of place I'm afraid, though heaping on the ballast would probably help - There is intended to be an old chalky road over at one place and the filled-in track in front of the drys so that should provide opportunity to hide some of it.

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just out of interest, why the universal (or apparently so) choice to put the layout within the boxfile and have the the lid as backscene??

Strikes me that, if the underside of the lid were used as the track base, and the box becoming the vertical section, that would avoid the need to cut the sides or have them flip down (so weakening the box structure). You get the depth of the box (and it's width, now height) to protect structures at the rear.

Just curious... as I have a whole bunch of surplus boxfiles sat on the shelf above my desk at work... and some ideas for an HO (US and/or DR) micro or two.

• RMweb Gold

Just out of interest, why the universal (or apparently so) choice to put the layout within the boxfile and have the the lid as backscene??

Strikes me that, if the underside of the lid were used as the track base, and the box becoming the vertical section, that would avoid the need to cut the sides or have them flip down (so weakening the box structure). You get the depth of the box (and it's width, now height) to protect structures at the rear.

Just curious... as I have a whole bunch of surplus boxfiles sat on the shelf above my desk at work... and some ideas for an HO (US and/or DR) micro or two.

This has been done, but agreed not by many. I think in my case the lids were not stiff enough or straight enough to be used as a track bed, whereas the box, even with pieces cut out, was. Also, the natural way of opening a box file is to lie it on the base of the box and open the lid - if you orient the layout the other way, it would be upside down...

But, I'd love to see more examples of box file layouts, in any form !!

Stu

• RMweb Gold

For those that don't appreciate blogs I am building this - whilst it's not operated in a boxfile, my criteria is that it all fits into one (or actually three this time!) so I can fly it back to the UK... :O

• RMweb Gold

Shouldn't that be for those that DO appreciate blogs? - Being one of those that don't, the link simply goes to a jumble of html, otherwise known as a blog. Pity.

You're probably right - I know that some peeps never read them so may have missed my waffle...but if its a techy type software issue I can't help...being particularly lowtech myself :D

OK, here goes:

OverallView2.jpg

The Melbridge Box Company was built years ago to prove it could be done. I'd volunteered to run the DOGA boxfile competition so I thought I ought to check it could be done.

Full construction details, including how I hid the wiring, on my website: http://www.pagenumberone.co.uk/layouts/Boxfile/index.htm

Hope this helps someone.

Phil

I recall seeing the Melbridge Box Company,

at a show several years back

Fabulous it was too Phil.....

It also reatured in Hornby Magazine too, I'm sure

It is a brilliant example of not "overdoing it"

and not trying to squeeze too much into such a small space....

Along with Stubby's excellent "Porth Bythan"

you have 2 great examples to start the design & build of a boxfile micro

good luck with your design Kenton

Archived