Dapol October annoucements (no longer secret!)

crankycalf

I find it a bit odd that three 'secret' locomotives would come out via Osborns Twitter, surely it would be embargoed to Warley.

Of course if it is true then they would be nice additions and the NEM magnetic coupler will be a reaction to Bachmann's developments, if they are using Microtrains all the better because they are known to be reliable.

[Edit] - a picture does help believeability!! Can't be Dapol though - it has black wheels LOL

Theres a Dapol Club Day today I believe hence the reason for the announcements. Make sense in that Bachmann are unlikely to do a A3, A4 or Bulleid Light Pacific given the Hornby OO models. On the otherhand are they going to stick with them for a number of years as Farish would or is it going to another case of buy them now, flog off whats left cheap.

There is no driveshaft between the tender and the locomotive - could be either - though the cab doesn't appear to have anything intrusive so perhaps it is tender drive.

Game changer - Dapol take three iconic locomotives off Bachmann (and the Bulleid was coming as Dapol Dave has previously mentioned the Maunsell coaching stock) plus they have the Brittannia and 9F.

So in the next 18 months or so we should have classes A1 to A4 (Bachmann have to announce the A2 in N now surely).

Southern representation will grow as Bachmann have a few OO models they can shrink in addition to the Dapol Bulleids

Bachmann will continue to dominate on LMS leaving the GW but Dapol are strong here too.

Of course what we need now are going to be smaller locomotives - tanks and the like - they're shooting out the big ones but we need a mix and with magnetic couplers shunting will now get a whole lot more interesting.

Its fine producing a NEM Microtrains type coupling but it would be as useful if they could develop one that is a one piece fitment to the traditional N Arnold type mounts.

But you can mix and match - putting the traditional couplings within the train and keeping the Microtrains types at the outer edges - maybe not single wagon shunting but a whole lot better than hand of God or making those tiny 2mm brass couplings

CrankyCalf - do you have any links with Osborns - your posts eerily echo the announcements on Twitter as they are now showing as the A3 and A4 being available from December!

Or are they following you on RMWeb????

Not that it really matters - I know what Santa is bringing me now for Christmas and I am glad I stocked up on Gresley coaches when there was nothing to pull them.

AbOyEmcCMAAfmir.jpg

Single chimney is very, very wrong with smoke deflectors and BR green livery, as is the overly high snifter valve behind it, and that banjo dome looks horrendous! Apart from that, I had to look very closely to see it wasn't 00 gauge. Get those things right, and Dapol will make a mint from an A1 and A3 model in N. The future is looking really rather bright for N gauge modellers :)

Single chimney is very, very wrong with smoke deflectors and BR green livery, as is the overly high snifter valve behind it, and that banjo dome looks horrendous! Apart from that, I had to look very closely to see it wasn't 00 gauge. Get those things right, and Dapol will make a mint from an A1 and A3 model in N. The future is looking really rather bright for N gauge modellers :)

I wasn't overly impressed by the banjo dome myself but expect on the actual model it won't look so bad and I did wonder about the single chimney - it's probably a bag of parts thrown onto a test model - fingers crossed.

I wasn't overly impressed by the banjo dome myself but expect on the actual model it won't look so bad and I did wonder about the single chimney - it's probably a bag of parts thrown onto a test model - fingers crossed.

Sadly, given their track record, I wouldn't bank on Dapol avoding at leat one glaring error on each model they produce. Especially when they are in hurry up to get it out mode.

Hi

Thats great news well done Dapol. They do look the business.

Sadly, given their track record, I wouldn't bank on Dapol avoding at leat one glaring error on each model they produce. Especially when they are in hurry up to get it out mode.

Give them a chance wait and see Chris.

Martin

I am a modern image N modeller however the yard I am modelling regularly services steam rail tours and recently saw two A4's side by side, just yesterday I was looking for a A4 and was amazed no recent model was available. Quite fortuitous!

Hi everyone,

with reference to the open weekend and secret itsm announced at the HQ,

i will clarify a few things before putting the full press release here (sorry if its a long one but it was sent to Andy but i presume he's out and will no doubt trim it when he cam).

A3. We do have all the variants available to produce from the tooling, and the picture of the banjo dome showed a quickly scabbed on dome from a first EP model. This will be flush mounted for production samples, and the manufactrers plate will be removed form the smoke deflector and replaced (wher necessary in the correct position on the cab side or smoke deflector or not at all (if correct) by an etched brass one.

From the press release you can see the variants we are producing in livery and dome/chimney etc. This has been correlated with expert advice and pictures and the painted first EP sample is purely to give a 'feel' for the finished item and is NOT indicative of the actual finished item.

The same goes for the A4.

Both these loco's and the Bulleids have tender fitted motor with cardan shatf as is Dapol standard, but the first Ep samples were berefet of motor and shaft.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

Dapol Press release (embargo until 12pm Saturday 8th October 2011)

Dapol New Releases (N Gauge)

To coincide with our yearly N’thusiast open day at Chirk, we are proud to announce and show the following 3 new products that were unveiled to the membership.

The 3 First items below are due for release before Christmas this year!

Product #1

NEM magnetic couplers

These magnetic couplers have been in the design stage for the last 2 years, and we are now ready to release this item for sale. It will also become the de-facto standard coupler fitted to all locomotive production from now on.

To fit simply pull out your existing coupler from its NEM coupling box and push the new coupler into the empty housing. Do the same again for your rolling stock, and also fit a Dapol uncoupling magnet between the rails at ballast level.

This system makes uncoupling over magnets very easy, and also allows the pushing of the uncoupled train (from over the magnet) to anywhere on your layout without it re-coupling up. For the first time hands free shunting becomes a reality in British N gauge)

Available as packs of 1 pair or 5 pairs (blister packed) and 1 pair (blister packed of magnets) they will be in your Dapol stockist by late November 2011.

We are also in the final stages of developing an ‘easi-fit’ NEM conversion kit for ours and other manufacturers wagons and coaching stock to allow you to modify the non NEM compatible rolling stock to NEM standards.

Nspare7 1 pair of Dapol magnetic ‘Easi-Couple’ couplers (Fully NEM pocket compatible).

Nspare 7a 1 pair of ‘in track’ magnets for Dapol ‘Easi-couple’ magnetic NEM couplers.

Nspare 8 5 pairs of Dapol magnetic ‘Easi-Couple’ couplers (Fully NEM pocket compatible).

Nspare 9 Multi pack of NEM conversion kits for non NEM fitted stock.

Product #2

A3 4-6-2 Gresley Pacific Steam Locomotive

This much wanted up to date model of one of the most famous class of steam engines, has been developed using our tried and tested, award winning tender powered, locomotive drive mechanism.

It has been designed to allow most types of A3 locomotive to be produced, including round and banjo domes, single and double chimneys, with or without smoke deflectors, GNR and corridor or non corridor tenders. (Others to follow)

Specification includes Dapol’s superb ‘super creep’ motor allied to a 30:1 gear box, split frame tungsten chassis, phosphor bronze self lubricating axle bushes, scale metal wheels (painted wheel faces), pin point metal bearings on tender wheels, factory fitted NEM magnetic couplers, DCC NEM 651 6pin decoder socket, traction tyres on rear driving wheels, tender to locomotive close coupling, accessory bag, etched brass factory fitted nameplates.

Both the A3 and A4 models are due to be in the shops for Christmas and should be very popular so please pre-order yours from your Dapol Stockist today at £119.95 each

Initial production run to include the following;

ND129a #60045 ‘Lemburg’ BR Lined Green Late Crest (Double Chimney, Banjo Dome, smoke Deflectors and GNR Tender)

ND129b #2750 ‘Papyrus’ LNER lined Apple Green (Single chimney , Round Dome, New type tender)

ND129c #60079 ‘Bayardo’ BR Lined Green Early Crest (Single Chimney, round dome and GNR Tender)

ND129d #4472 ‘Flying Scotsman’ LNER Lined Apple Green (Single Chimney, Banjo dome and corridor Tender)

Please see attached pictures of (pre production) models for web use etc)

Product #3

A4 4-6-2 Gresley pacific steam locomotive.

Also introduced by Dapol at the same time as the A3, we present LNER stablemate, the A4.

Featuring 2 main tender types at launch (others to follow), the mechanics and specification closely follow the A3 locomotive. Variants for this engine include single and double chimneys, painted wheel faces, and with or without number board on the front. Valanced versions of this locomotive are being developed and will appear later.

Again this locomotive will feature accurately sized, factory fitted etched brass nameplates, and be fitted with NEM magnetic couplers as standard.

Initial Releases will be as follows and can be pre-ordered from your Dapol stockist at a retail price of £119.95 (in shops from late December 2011);

ND128a #3 ‘Andrew K. McKosh’ LNER Garter Blue with Red painted wheels (single Chimney with corridor tender).

ND128b #60017 ‘Silver Fox’ BR Lined Green Early Crest (Single Chimney and Corridor Tender)

ND128c #60021 ‘Wild Swan’ BR Lined Green Late Crest (Double Chimney and Corridor Tender)

ND128e #2509 ‘Silver Link’ LNER Grey (single chimney and Corridor tender) (N’thusiast Club limited edition)

Please note that pictures attached are pre-production ones only, and some details/finishes will inevitable change.

Product #4

4-6-2 Bullied Light Pacific Locomotive

Keeping with the ‘Pacific’ theme we are please to announce that we are in the final design stages for producing the Bullied Pacific locomotives.

We will manufacture this model in both un-rebuilt and rebuilt form, with both ‘West Country’ and ‘Battle Of Britain’ names.

With a retail price of £119.95 these are bound to be popular, so feel free to pre-order yours from your Dapol stockists soon.

Specification for these models will follow the A3 + A4 including our factory fitted magnetic coupler as standard and etched brass nameplates and crests.

The initial Release of these models will be;

ND208a Battle Of Britain #21C164 Southern Railways Green (Un-Rebuilt)

ND208b West Country #34098 ‘Templecombe’ BR Green late crest (Rebuilt)

ND208d Battle of Britain #34066 ‘Spitfire’ BR Green Late Crest (Un-Rebuilt)

ND208e Battle of Britain #34088 ‘213 Squadron’ BR Green Late Crest (Rebuilt)

ND208h West Country #34030 ‘Watersmeet’ BR Late Crest (Un-Rebuilt)

Dapol Product Update.

We can now confirm the following updates for existing N gauge models.

38xx GWR 2-8-0 steam locomotive

This is in the final stages of development and will be out in 2012, and we hope to be able to show you models in the early part of next year.

The model has been designed with a 3500 gallon tender complete with ‘Super Creep’ motor and DCC NEM651 6pin socket onboard.

All specifications will mirror our A3+A4 and Bulleid locomotives, but also include etched brass cabside numbers.

Product codes and liveries as follows;

ND149a #2884 GWR Green with GWR ‘Shirtbutton’ tender emblem.

ND149b #3836 BR Black with Late BR Tender Crest.

ND149c #2892 GWR Green with ‘Great Western’ wording either side of GWR Crest. (please note number change from original press release).

ND149d #3832 BR Black with BR Early Tender crest.

Class 56 Diesel locomotive

This model is in the tool room for final adjustment as of this date (08.10.10) and we hope to be launching it for sale in Late March of 2012.

Liveries and product numbers are as previously announced.

Class 142

This is due for release mid to late 2012 and is currently in the final stages of development.

Pendolino

This is a ‘back burner’ item which we will develop slowly and judge the release date depending on costs of the final product and retail price.

Class 92

This will follow the list above, but as we are developing more N gauge products that will be announced with our January Catalogue we cannot give a date for its release.

Wagons

Our previously announced wagons are progressing and we expect to see them in the new year of 2012.

Archived