Johnson's Klear

Good Morning Guys

Please forgive me for bringing up this subject yet again but desperate times need desperate measures.

I am getting close to using up my last bottle of original Johnson's Klear.

I have looked at the bottle of the new replacement formula in my local Tesco's but there is no information regarding how this product is made up.

Does anyone know or have any evidence that the new replacement Klear is the same formula as the old original Klear.

I keep reading in the blogs that the new Klear is slightly different to the old Klear and leaves a brownish tint, has anyone used both products and could give some help or advice.

Regards

David

Railway and Landscape Photographer

http://www.landscapesandsteam.co.uk

• RMweb Premium

I've had no problems with the new one in the 'States. The formula was purchased by Pledge or whoever......

'Course in Europe your mileage may vary.......

Lot of hype about this on Internet.

Best, Pete.

The formula was changed for European "consumption", I believe the USA product uses the original formula.

Lakeland floor polish has been mentioned as a substitue on some of the modelmaking sites. Caveat emptor of course.

Rob

When you think about its original use, a lot of kitchens have white tiled floors - which housewife wants a "brown tinge" to that?

Best, Pete.

Many thanks to all of you who provided me with more than enough information on this subject.

I am sorry to say there are too many conflicting reports good and bad about the new formula Johnson's Klear so the only way I can be sure is to purchase a bottle and compare it myself.

Thanks again and not wanting to bore you all any more I will add my findings sometime in the very near future.

Regards

David

Railway and Landscape Photographer

http://www.landscapesandsteam.co.uk

am sorry to say there are too many conflicting reports good and bad about the new formula Johnson's Klear so the only way I can be sure is to purchase a bottle and compare it myself.

Thanks again and not wanting to bore you all any more I will add my findings sometime in the very near future.

That sounds like a good plan. Sorry for not contributing, I don't have much to offer as I have not yet exhausted my stocks of Klear. However I await the results of your experiments with great interest.

• RMweb Gold

The original Klear had long since disappered from the shelves before I was aware of it.

I've likewise been confused by all the threads on the subject as none seem to show definitively what WILL work post-Klear. I've seen responses saying the new Pledge/Klear doesn't work, whilst on a model road vehicle thread I've seen emphatic words saying it DOES work - but the confirmation came from someone who knows someone. It all seems to be Chinese whispers.

What I have tried recently is Micro Satin made by Microscale Industries. I get it from Model Junction, Slough (no connection other than as a customer). Brushing this on THINLY (it is opaque/white-ish) seems to me to be doing what Klear does/did. It's only in small bottles and certainly smells like floor polish!

• RMweb Gold

Forgot to mention, the threads a few years old mention Klear being on sale in eg France as Futur. I've looked in several branches of Carrefour, Auchan, Leclerc, Cora etc as well as Migros and Coop in Switzerland. All these days seem to have 'multi-purpose' cleaners and nothing these days seems to be in clear bottles with clear liquid whatever the brand name.

Metr0Land,

For what it's worth, (doesn't help the OP), I bought some in France a few months ago, labelled as Klir. White bottle, label mainly red with white and grey and the Johnsons name.

I think it was from Intermarche.

Regards

Chris g

• RMweb Premium

Hi

I bought some of the interweb last year, I got two bottles to make sure I don't run out (fingers crossed ) I don't remember who. Just Googled it and found this, looks like the biz.

http://www.mysuperma...hine_500ml.html

This looks like the real stuff as it is clear in a clear bottle, the other stuff in the search was in a white bottle.

HTH

SS

Hi

I bought some of the interweb last year, I got two bottles to make sure I don't run out (fingers crossed ) I don't remember who. Just Googled it and found this, looks like the biz.

http://www.mysuperma...hine_500ml.html

This looks like the real stuff as it is clear in a clear bottle, the other stuff in the search was in a white bottle.

HTH

SS

Out of stock!

Really, Jack? It's always advertised over here on plastic laminate kitchen floors. I still don't see it for wood, surely one would want no colour change from Pine to Oak over whatever "your" stain is.

The latest iteration, here, is totally transparent in a clear bottle. It looks exactly the same as it has always done, to me. I'm becoming convinced that the Euro Formula is now different from the North American one.

Best, Pete.

A lot of our cheaper, fashion item, "wood laminate" floors are actually a form of linoleum/tiles laid in strips, rather than "real" wood - but it was clear, which is where it got the name "Klear" - they seem to be going out of "fashion" as people discovered they are noisy, hard and carpets/rugs are far more comfortable, and can be vacuumed rather than polished, Sorry, the wood laminate was being refered to as "brown" - not the "Klear". I have some out in the shed, bought for making light-weight baseboards, under the impression that it was a pack of wood flooring , only to discover it was floppy rubbery-plasticy stuff

The latest iteration, here, is totally transparent in a clear bottle. It looks exactly the same as it has always done, to me. I'm becoming convinced that the Euro Formula is now different from the North American one.

Sounds plausible. Any chance you could post a picture of a bottle (a picture speaking a thousand words and all that ;)).

Unless your local supermarket finds it odd that you are taking photos of bottles of floor polish. :D

• RMweb Premium

Best, Pete.

I think this is where the confusion lies, the US is still using the original formula, but the European mix is new.

Rob

Archived