Welsh exhibitions

Piemanlarger

Been looking forward to this show for months. It will good to see all those that I know and I have offered my 'services' as a volunteer locum operator etc for the day (well most of the day as I probably go and watch Cardiff City lose in the afternoon).

I think there are some splendid layouts there, and lots of diesels too, even French ones!

Tony

I've just finished preparing a 'hand out' for those attending the show.

The brief details of the layouts promised are as follows:-

COGIREP

Scale 3.5mm ‘HO’ Gauge

By Al. Reynolds

A minimum space layout, Cogirep represents an urban industrial setting served by the French national railway S.N.C.F.

ROSAMUND STREET

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ gauge

By Brian Rolley

A small urban goods yard at the turn of the 1970’s hemmed in by heavy industry. Shunting is carried out using cards allocated to each wagon. The wagons must be shunted in accordance with the order the cards are dealt.

DRAGON STEELS

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By Wayne Crowley

The South Wales steel industry forms an impressive backdrop to this layout portraying the steel traffic of the 1980’s and early 1990’s employing a variety of steel carrying wagons and associated diesel locomotives.

MOOSE CREEK

Scale 3.5mm ‘HO’ Gauge

By Brian Tucker

A very basic locomotive servicing facility in a snow covered valley setting somewhere in British Columbia; complete with a cross section of sound fitted, mainly Canadian, locomotives.

‘VOPAK’ BARRY DOCKS

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By Paul Rolley

Voted ‘Best in Show’ at the 2015 Taunton Show; set in the present day with DB and EWS locomotives hauling and shunting predominantly container wagons, but with some continental wagons in chemical traffic also putting in an appearance.

MINSTER

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By John Rance

Located in the Welsh Borders somewhere near Shrewsbury, Minster is a market town served primarily by current era diesel multiple units of several train operating companies, with the occasional diesel loco making an appearance.

SHEPCOTE LANE

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By Baz. Jones

Set in the Sheffield area during the late 1980’s to early 1990’s. Based primarily on coal deliveries to a local steelworks and featuring a working wagon tippler and associated traverser, the layout also contains a variety of other weathered wagons.

POYNTON SNEER

Scale 7mm ‘O’ Gauge

By Marc Smith

Well modelled, run down sidings shunted by a variety of steam and diesel locomotives, of both industrial and British Railways ownership.

or

BRACHTY BRIDGE

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By Marc Smith

The ultimate in minimum space modelling. A layout built and displayed in a plastic storage box and set in one of the inner suburbs of Cardiff. One for the BrAIns beer and Clark’s pie afficianado.

HAVERFORDWEST

Scale 2mm ‘N’ Gauge

By Paul Gandy

Set in the present day with Arriva Trains Wales passenger trains and EWS/DB hauled freight. Watch out for the military trains carrying finely modelled armoured fighting vehicles.

HAFOD  PARKWAY

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By Steve Dodd

Current era modelling, with electronic gadgetry, sound and other effects to the fore.

WOKINGHURST

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ gauge

By Graham Mann

A layout representing the present day West Midlands railway network. Look out for the hi-rise buildings under construction and the associated tower crane.

CWM GARW

Scale 4mm ‘OO’ Gauge

By Ben. Brown

Ben explains the initial steps from a proprietary set-up to railway modelling with sound and other contemporary advances.

Entrance £3.50p  -  under 14s free.

Proceeds to local charities.

Light refreshments available

Some photos of the layouts invited can be found at:- http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103912-small-model-railway-show-cardiff/page-2?&p=2168898

Edited by br2975

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Brian,

Something to look forward to on Saturday.

I presume you do have an exclusive room set aside for RM webbers ( well at least me, the Stationmaster and Danemouth) to sup BrAIns black from champagne flutes whilst being served mini Clarkes Pies off silver platters?

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 2

Thanks Brian,

Something to look forward to on Saturday.

I presume you do have an exclusive room set aside for RM webbers ( well at least me, the Stationmaster and Danemouth) to sup BrAIns black from champagne flutes whilst being served mini Clarkes Pies off silver platters?

This happens every day in Cardiff!

That'll be the hospitality suite at the Cardiff City Stadium.

Currently, not to be visited if one is agrophobic

Brian R

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

After everything had calmed down after the show, I had expected to see some form of  post exhibition report by one of the organisers.

In the absence of such, and rather belatedly, thank you all very much for your efforts.

It was a great show which I thoroughly enjoyed.

Will there be similar next year, as it seemed to fill a certain, welcome niche?

• Like 1

Please accept my humble apologies Richard.

I had posted a brief report, and a thank you, elsewhere on RMweb.

You may find some familiar faces at t'other end of this link.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/103912-small-model-railway-show-cardiff/?p=2175377

Thanks for making the trip, and sorry I couldn't chat for longer.

The same apology is extended to several other RMwebbers including 'stationmaster' - 'Rivercider', also a very generous member from Porthcawl and several others.

Brian R

PS Paul & I will be exhibiting 'Vopak - Barry Docks' at the Stafford Railway Circle annual bashthis weekend, so if any 'RMwebbers' are passing .....

Edited by br2975
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Brian,

Thanks, I blinked and missed that completely! Doh!

I'll see you and your kid brother at Stafford on the Sunday. (But no pies this time!)

I have a DofE course to attend the previous day.

Mike,

If you are travelling on the Sun, I could arrange to give you a lift back to Stafford station as I pass the station on my way back to Telfland.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if there are any model railway shows - or club open days - in the Newport area in the next few months?

Think there's an O gauge thing called NEWGOG in Newport 16th April. A friend from the Midlands has suggesting meeting there. Haven't checked details yet.

• RMweb Gold

Copied from elsewhere:

NEWGOG (South Wales Gauge 0 Show) Supported by the Gauge 0 Guild Date: Saturday, 16th April 2016 10am to 4.30pm Location: Lysaghts Institute Building, Orb Road, off Corporation Road, Newport, NP19 ORA Price: Adults £6.00 Concessions £5.00 Information: This will be our third NEWGOG event in the Lysaghts building, after last year's successful exhibition we continue with the second hall to bring in more layouts, traders and demonstrators. Layouts: Paxton Road ....................Tim Ticknell. Rose End ..........................Steve Neil. Ventnor West ....................Kevin Cartwright. Bakewell Street .................Chris Hopper. Abbey Road .......................Mike Curtis. Acme Road ........................Peter Kirmond & Simon Thompson . Demonstrators :- Alistair Stallard ..................Coach Construction. Dave Murdoch ...................Loco Construction. Richard Simmons ..............DCC Sounds. Bob Savage ........................Trees & Scenics. Trade Support :- Amberly Services . Lord & Butler. Lionheart Trains. Dragon Models. APK Models. Scorpio. Squires. Wild Swan. Plus :- Guild E& T Guild information and membership table. Artist David Woolnough. Bring & Buy. Lucky Dip (proceeds to be shared between Noah's Ark Children's Hospital in Cardiff and NEWGOG). Plus Newport MRS large Test Track. Once again there will be a cafeteria service in the building with ample car parking as Morrison's super store directly behind the Lysaghts building is the agreed overflow car park. Doors open 10am and close at 4.30pm. Tickets: No advance tickets

Edited by Tim Hall

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Yes the NEWGOG show is on, I've been both years and it's a good show.

This should be a good show - last year's one definitely was.

... and this year's didn't disappoint, either.

The layouts were good - so were the demonstrators (who were dispensing some excellent advice, just like last time) - and I've also got no complaints about the trade.

Well done to all concerned.

I think I might also be going to next year's show ... .

Huw.

Agreed, this year was very enjoyable.

How I kept my hands in my pockets I don't know.

But, it did provoke me to return home and break out the stored 7mm stock and re-assess my future plans !

Now that can't be a bad thing ?

Two photos attached of Bakewell Street.

Brian R

post-1599-0-18381400-1460988737_thumb.jpg

post-1599-0-45199500-1460988755_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

Anyone have a list of 2017 exhibitions to be held in Wales?

The Welsh MRC's are not well known for getting something like this together.

Sometimes members within a Club don't even know the details of their own Club.. :nono: 

Edited by Penlan

I have the following dates of some shows in God's country

NewGOG 22nd April at Lysaghts Institute

Swansea MRC 7th/8th October at LC2

West Wales 0 Gauge, Bronwydd Arms 7th October (With Gwili Railway Gala)

Cardiff MR Exhibition 21st/22nd October. Not sure if back at Ysgol Glantaff.

I imagine that with the conflict in dates, one or two shows may change........

And I may have misinterpreted some information, but hope these help.

Chris