Hi Horsetan,

If you have access to the afore mentioned book by Kevin Robertson it gives you the full ins and outs on the conversion but the basics are:

The train heating boiler end bogie was modified to accept a pneumatically controlled suspension system and a traction motor on the centre axle. A1A - A1A became 1A1 -3!

This was so they could fit a range of different size wheels to look at the interaction of the wheel on the rail head and adjust the pressure exerted on the rail with the pneumatics. Power from the traction motor et al came from the accompanying electric loco used as motive power. 

They compensated for the removed 57 tons (!) of internal  equipment by placing a large quantity of scrap and lead weights between the frame - much like a giant brake van!

The insides were gutted and divided up so there was the two cabs as built, a 'room' above the bogie and the rest became a laboratory with tables, chairs and a whole raft of recording and measuring equipment. The bodyside vents also became windows to help the technicians see what they were up to! She essentially became an elaborate non - corridor lab coach.

The bogie itself actually  now stretches to the outside of the fairings so it isn't a simple task to put all that back as it was. You are also still stuck with the fact that she is now too tall for Network Rail...

Robertson states that the usual formation for the test train was 18000 with modified bogie leading, electric locomotive to supply power to 18K, lab coach with facilities and extra equipment, a braking locomotive to supply extra stopping power and then a loco to take the whole cavalcade back to its start position. The great thing about this is that on at least one occasion this final loco was a DB Class 50 2-10-0 steam engine!

The guy in charge of the conservation program has offered me a tour inside the next time we are both on site together at the same time and I will take a few illustrative photos to post here if I remember (!).

All the best,

Castle

They were not mucking about were they? How about if we fit the pneumatics to all of the axles - from Kerosene Castle to the worlds largest and heaviest custom  lowrider - I can just see it jumping up and down on the track outside the shed!

I am not sure the permanent way team would be keen on this...

Much as I'd like to see more broad gauge on here, what possible benefit would that be? I think I'd use a somewhat stronger term than 'controversial' :no: If you are modelling the broad gauge, the track is the first thing you need to get right, and there's no existing 16.5mm track would be the right place to start...

Nick

you are right Nick - I had forgotten how different the track looked. I had been thinking in terms of using rtr wheels and mechanisms, but the sizes would be all wrong. had been letting my laziness do the talking :)

• Like 1

Cornamuse,

It was a good basic idea though - just not one that pans out all the way! The track on the broad gauge has longitudinal sleepers under the rails with only the occasional transverse brace to keep the gauge. It has to be said however that we do have a real mixture of track at Didcot including the afore mentioned 'baulk road', dual gauge baulk road, dual gauge with regular transverse sleepers and chairs, broad gauge with regular sleepers and all points (no pun intended!) in between. The metal rail on the baulk road is also of a different cross section known as bridge rail that means it can be fixed directly to the wooden base.

The wheels and track may look a little coarse too if you were not to change them. A bit too Triang rather than fine scale! The basic idea of using mechanisms and track gauges for other scales / gauge combinations is good though - we wouldn't have 009 / 016.5 if it wasn't for this kind of thinking! That is what is great about the forum - ideas like this can be kicked around and talked out. It has also stopped me thinking about it too which is a good thing! If anyone else out there wants to give the layout idea a go though, be my guest... As Nick says, more broad gauge modelling can't be a bad thing and if doing a micro layout, building track and so on wouldn't seem as daunting a prospect!

All the best,

Castle

Getting the bridge rail to look right would be a real challenge, I think. You are right about the coarse track - especially as a lot of the broad gauge stock looked so elegant. very exposed too, for fitting a mechanism in.

out of interest , anyone know a loction when broad, standard and narroww gauge met? now that would make for interesting trackwork (that I would have no chance of replicating - you can't make track out of cardboard, so it is beyond me :D )

thanks for the interesting thoughts (and thread), castle

ta

andy

out of interest , anyone know a loction when broad, standard and narroww gauge met? now that would make for interesting trackwork (that I would have no chance of replicating - you can't make track out of cardboard, so it is beyond me :D )

that would make a very interesting and unique diorama/boxfile layout! Just as well I don't have much interest in the GWR or I'd be going off thinking about it... (I've enough barmy ideas in my head as it is!!)

• Like 1

Getting the bridge rail to look right would be a real challenge, I think...

Surprisingly easy in fact. The Broad Gauge Society supply a nickel silver 'inverted T' section that gives a reasonable impression of bridge rail. It can be glued to timber or soldered to copper clad strips for the baulks and the transomes can be cut from balsa or similar. Rather than clutter up Castle's thread, I've posted an update with photo of a micro layout that gets worked on now and then on my layouts blog.

Nick

• Like 1

Hi All,

I am glad people are seeming to like the thread so I will keep going with it!

In response to the comments made about the broad gauge (very nice diorama by the way Nick!), as I was 'on shed' today, I took a few pictures that may be of interest / inspiration to some. As we are the only place in the world where IKB's 7' 1/4" is properly used we have the only fully working set of GWR broad and mixed gauge track in existence. It is fully signalled and controlled from the nearby signal box. What is it like to ride? Well, even from the footplate it is graceful, smooth and elegant. You can well understand how these machines easily hit 60mph+!

This first picture shows a stretch of normal dual gauge baulk road permanent way. The main sleepers are under the rails and there are just a few transverse members to maintain the gauge. This is relatively simple in concept...

post-14393-0-24964300-1329604762_thumb.jpg

... but this isn't! This is a dual gauge point with a scotch. The scotch takes the rail that is shared by both the broad and standard gauges from the extreme left rail to the extreme right. This will no doubt have the custom track builders of this forum drooling at the potential for a mega challenge!

post-14393-0-46737700-1329604823_thumb.jpg

This is one of the two broad and standard gauge split points where the broad (mixed) gauge goes one way along the broad gauge demonstration line and the standard goes off onto what is known as the branch line.

post-14393-0-78978500-1329604891_thumb.jpg

And this is the view behind me as I took the last picture with a certain beast quietly awaiting its annual boiler exam! The building is an original transfer shed from the Didcot area that was used to transship goods to and from the broad to the standard gauge lines.

post-14393-0-31204700-1329604950_thumb.jpg

And finally on the broad gauge demonstration line, just to prove that there is a prototype for everything we even have a very short stretch of plain 7' 1/4" gauge track that is made up in the more usual chaired track. Just look at the size of the buffer stops! This will one day be the site of Didcot's broad gauge engine house.

post-14393-0-91589300-1329605021_thumb.jpg

These pictures wouldn't be complete without a last shot of Didcot's little bit of IKB's atmospheric railway that neatly demonstrates the cross section of the broad gauge rail.

post-14393-0-06990900-1329605069_thumb.jpg

Hope that was interesting!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 15

HI All,

A Meat - Tea pair!

The next project on the bench for a photo build is of 2 related vans and so they are being done as a pair. These are the MICA and TEVAN vehicles. The MICA's were a breed of refrigerated vans for the transport of fresh meat from slaughter to market. This type of vehicles were often to be seen at places like London's Smithfield Market and versions of them served throughout the reign of the GWR and well into the BR period. They always stood out due to their startling white livery and complex swooping end handrails that gave access to the ice tanks at either end. They were originally refrigerated with ice but later switched to dry ice and this meant a change from two hatches each end to one central version. Didcot's version was built to Diagram X8 in lot 921 in 1925.

post-14393-0-19310300-1329662787_thumb.jpg

Some MICAs were later converted to fit into the TEVAN series of vehicles. These were MICAs that had their refrigerant tanks removed and found subsequent employment in transporting dry goods - particularly tea and cocoa. J. S. Fry, the chocolate manufacturer was one such customer. Built in 1922, on conversion from X7 configuration in 1938, Didcot's example entered the V31 diagram. The V diagram includes other covered goods vehicles such as the famous MINKs and the range of grain wagons.

post-14393-0-59168800-1329662834_thumb.jpg

The models are both based on David Geen whitemetal kits of the diagram X5 MICA. Both are fairly involved conversions so here we go!

The first thing I did with the X8 MICA is to produce a rolling box. The frames and the sides are one and the same on these kits and the axle boxes and 'W' irons are separate bits so the bearing holes are reamed to accept the bearings and then carefully soldered together. This was my first try at soldering whitemetal but I have the advantage of my experience doing whitemetal bearings for real locomotives so I had a bit of a head start here! It didn’t stop lack of heat in one bit from making the very first joint I made fail – nerve wracking to start with isn’t it?!

post-14393-0-52155300-1329662908_thumb.jpg

The door stops on the X8 are in a different position too so a little light carving with a scalpel is in order to remove them.

post-14393-0-20957300-1329662980_thumb.jpg

Next to fit are the buffers (from L.M.S. again) and end steps and as I didn't read the instructions properly, I hadn't fitted the steps until I had made the body... D'oh! The instructions state that having built many of these, Mr G. recommends the fitting of the steps flat on the bench but it wasn't too difficult to do this way round as I leave the roof off vehicles where possible until painted as it saves a round of masking and leaves a very crisp edge to the paint.

post-14393-0-21793600-1329663168_thumb.jpg

Then, the vacuum cylinder and hose (a replacement from Dart Castings) were soldered in place.

post-14393-0-41605400-1329663211_thumb.jpg

That's it for now - see you soon!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 8

Hi Andy,

Is my collection going to meet its big brother someday? I have already been beaten to the punch on this one in a sense as the guys just down the road at Pendon have done a display for us at Didcot and before the centre opened; their engines were sat on the buffer beams of the real thing for a photo call! The only loco that was a model of the actual loco it was sat on though was Shannon so I might be able to corner that particular market…

Perhaps one day it might be a good idea so who knows? Could make for an interesting event! I would like to get a large number finished first however as the logistics of moving them and then taking care of it all in a very dirty heavy engineering type environment will be tricky. Best done all in one go to my mind and I will need to take the other half with me too as her camera skills will be required to not waste the opportunity on my iPhone ‘snaps’ and limited photography ability.

Perhaps an engine photo shoot could be done when I have finished all of them that I need for this part of the collection. Remaining on the list to build or get are 6023*, 4079 (I have the old Hornby one but I am waiting for them to do a nice 4073 series castle in their new moulds), 1338, 7202*, DL26* and 1363. Those marked with an asterisk are in stocks and awaiting a turn on the workbench. Requiring detail and / or weathering but mostly renumbered and standing on their wheels in my display case are 5051, 3822, 3650, Railcar 22, 4144 and 6106. The rest are done except crews (apart from18k as it has the ex Bachmann Class 37 driver that can just about be seen in the posted photos) and DCC.

Give me a year or two…

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

Here is the latest instalment of the MICA / TEVAN builds.

Stop before you start!

The next job is to sort the buffers and brake gear on the MICA. Lanarkshire Model Supplies does a great range of buffers and as the later X7 & X8 MICAs had the GWR self contained buffers, I ordered two sets of these:

post-14393-0-19563100-1330119190_thumb.jpg

Mainly Trains comes to the rescue again with one of their etches - this one is for Morton brake gear. The X7 had the regular D/C GWR system but the X8 has the Morton which is nice as it provides a bit of variety in the fleet! These are the etches pre - attacking.

post-14393-0-49213000-1330119238_thumb.jpg

Once all the 'sides' of the brake gear were together, a few wires to represent the cross pieces were installed. This is the first one going in.

post-14393-0-11670300-1330119416_thumb.jpg

And this is the result of the exertions with the footstep also in place. These are whitemetal in the original kit but things got a bit tight on the under frame after the Morton gear was added and an etched replacement (from a Comet coach detail set) was added along with the kit lamp irons.

post-14393-0-25839500-1330119484_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Castle

• Like 7

Hi Cornamuse,

I am fine (apart from a little digestive issue that kept me of work yesterday - horrible 24hr stomach bug!) - thanks for the concern. I have been a little busy at work and Didcot so the progress on my personal projects has slowed to a crawl but I will post again with some updates at the weekend. I would do it sooner but can't seem to upload photographs to the site via my iPhone which I am on at the moment.

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

As requested, here is the latest instalment of the MICA / TEVAN builds.

Get a handle on yourself!

The final job is to sort out the roof, handrails and lamp irons. I started with the roof that I had cleaned up roughly before hand.

post-14393-0-62089300-1330783114_thumb.jpg

A session with the mini drill and a milling bit soon put pay to the original hatches and a dose of Squadron green putty filler was applied to smooth out the rough edges.

post-14393-0-73332400-1330783146_thumb.jpg

Brass strip of the correct thickness was formed over a curved surface and then cut to size with a slitting disc in the mini drill. These were soldered on and a thin piece of brass wire was used to represent the handle. The hinge was formed from a chunk of styrene.

post-14393-0-81885300-1330783185_thumb.jpg

Then it was handle time - Arghhhhhh! That I am glad that I had extra brass wire of the correct diameter in my own personal stocks is all I will say about how the end rails were formed... Thankfully, the TEVAN only has two! The other handles are etched versions from either the kit or Frogmore Confederacy. Tiny holes were drilled to help the securing of these and the lamp irons. Finally, (after this last picture was taken) the new door stops were fitted on the bottom of the wagon's body, scale couplings trial fitted and we can call that one ready for the paint shop.

post-14393-0-21258200-1330783227_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Castle

• Like 8

Hi Cornamuse,

Thanks for the kind comment, it did drive me a bit spare doing those end rails it has to be said! I should have done enough on the vans for another update this weekend. I have another project on the go alongside this which will have to remain top secret until next month so stay tuned!

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

Fancy a cuppa?

On we go to the Dia. V 31 TEVAN. This one will require a bit more surgery in some places that the X8 MICA and a little less in others. The big change is in the ends where we have to get rid of the ice boxes. I thought about a range of different was of doing this including cutting off and repositioning the ends and shaving the tops down to the correct thickness and scribing in the detail. In the end, I took the path of least resistance and simply cut the tops off and soldered the sides together.

post-14393-0-89149500-1331463459_thumb.jpg

I then fashioned new top sections in styrene sheet that I had pre scribed with a broken scalpel blade to represent the planking and then blended it in with filler. This is the first end to be done. I also had to remove one side of the steps on the ends and the holes for these had to be filled in too. The roof was used to ensure the correct curve at the top.

post-14393-0-01840600-1331463516_thumb.jpg

With both ends on I found that the roof was now too long and as it didn't need any hatches or the vast majority of the detail either so I sanded it smooth and with judicious mini drill carving, made it fit then shortened it.

post-14393-0-83941500-1331463595_thumb.jpg

Then it was time to break out the green goo again!

post-14393-0-26757900-1331463639_thumb.jpg

All the best,

Castle

Hi All,

Tea brakes?

This bit is a little easier than the X8 MICA as we can follow the kit instructions for the D/C brake gear. This goes together very well if you know where to put the bits but a diagram of this in the instructions would have been helpful. The GWR modelling website (http://www.gwr.org.uk) is useful in this respect as some great diagrams are to be found there. The tie bars on the brakes and between the brake gear are fitted and then the single side steps were fitted. The photo is an in progress one.

post-14393-0-79115000-1331979924_thumb.jpg

The final shot here shows all the various bits and pieces added including the 2 horrible (to make at least!) handrails at the ends fitted, all the handles & door stops on and so on. The door lock is a little bit of conjecture as the vehicle today has 'standard' van door gear but all period pictures of TEVANs I have seen have shown them to have the swing bar as on the model. I am not a wagon expert but I decided that as there would be major league aggravation in changing it and as I have precedent, I left it be!

post-14393-0-11593400-1331980203_thumb.jpg

There we are for now - just paint, transfers and weathering to go...

All the best,

Castle

• Like 3

HI All,

As my posts have been a little slow recently, here is another bonus one from the vaults -

Fancy a drink?

No. DW101 is one of Didcot's oddities. It looks to the untrained eye like a big rusty 6 wheel milk tank but don't be fooled! These vehicles were made to Diagram DD6 in 1946 as departmental vehicles for transporting drinking water. 6 were built and lasted well into the preservation age. As a result 3 of the six were saved and can still be seen and appreciated today.

post-14393-0-15583700-1331980659_thumb.jpg

The model is converted, like the real thing, from a GWR milk tank design - in this case a Hornby item. The big difference apart from the colour (!) is the tie downs that wrap over the top of top tanks and various other minor details.

post-14393-0-15406900-1331980726_thumb.jpg

I bought one of the weathered / graffiti daubed ex milk tankers from the Hornby range. This was for no other reason than it was cheaper that any of the other ones on the shelf -cheapskate aren't I?! I dismantled it and set about filling and sanding the big obvious joint line in the tank that is prevalent on the Hornby Model.

post-14393-0-23299300-1331980793_thumb.jpg

The 4 tie down straps were hewn from finest styrene strip as were the hose racks and other accoutrements. Scale couplings were also fitted. A 'fun' time was had doing the lettering as it felt like writing an essay using the tiny 1mm alphabet letters from the Fox Transfers set! Yes, they are ALL individual letters! Thankfully, the essay is still just about visible on the rusted sides of the tank at Didcot...

post-14393-0-04802400-1331980854_thumb.jpg

A fling round and about of my weathering weapons of choice resulted in a relatively easy (apart from the essay!) make over that produced an interesting and unusual prototype and for not a lot of money either. Give it a go!

All the best,

Castle

• Like 5