Moxley Heath - 7mm Lt Rly - Carl Arendt Challenge

Guest Jim Read

Guest Jim Read

Hello Job,

I didn't say thanks for the link in this post of yours;

You can also have a look on www.miniature-planet.com

You can order a lot of parts in the scale you are building in: brick, wood etc.

There is also a scale ruler available for al kind of gauges.

My apologies.

Some great stuff on that site.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Some progress over the past couple of weeks, went to Sheffield again and took some more pics of old factories in the Don valley area. Remade the terraced house for the 4th time and remade the 7" fiddle yard extension and stuck it to the end of the layout. Just put up the buildings resting against each other to see what they would look like, here's a couple of pics:

11izwhv.jpg

2z54qht.jpg

More buildings to go along the end with a little platform for goods and workers.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

Hello all,

Some progress over the past couple of weeks, went to Sheffield again and took some more pics of old factories in the Don valley area. Remade the terraced house for the 4th time and remade the 7" fiddle yard extension and stuck it to the end of the layout. Just put up the buildings resting against each other to see what they would look like, here's a couple of pics:

11izwhv.jpg

2z54qht.jpg

More buildings to go along the end with a little platform for goods and workers.

Jim

It's looking good Jim. It should look even better at Gildersome in September.

Jamie

Guest oldlugger

A really excellent looking layout Jim! It will be a cracker when you've finished it...

Cheers

Simon

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Andy and thanks Simon nice of you both.

And thanks for the 'spikes' Dave even in the two pics above they show up remarkably well :-)

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

More fiddling with the buildings added some coping stones and some vents for the nasty process in the factory and an electrical box, just to the left of the LBSC van will have a dangerous looking wire coming from that and through a window.

I made a bridge type thingy as well to go over the entrance from the traverser, having never done one before always using 'full frontal' fiddle yards I never realised how much of a scenic break these make, here's a pic;

gallery_7438_2157_6694.jpg

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Martin, I'm hoping to be at Mansfield next year so might see you there.

Your reversable box file layout is a good idea Tony one acting as fiddle yard for the other.

Eyup Andy wish I could make stuff completely out of card like you do :-)

Jim

Your reversable box file layout is a good idea Tony one acting as fiddle yard for the other.

I cannot claim the idea as mine , found a layout called "FOXBILE" micro O Gauge brewery which used it and I borrowed it from there! well when an idea is good it's good right?

I love what your doing though great work with your brickwork, I am reworking the whole of mine at the moment but you and one or two others on here are setting high bench marks in the O gauge micro world!!

Im not even going to mention cornamuse's work !

Tony

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

Been sticking the buildings to the board, ballasting, painting the backs of the buildings etc.

Had to remake the Corner Cafe for I think the 5th time, I'd sprayed the paper with artists matt varnish, it ain't waterproof! I eventually came across Media Range Colour Protection, it's made in Germany costs very little and I believed what they said on their website. Everything it says is quite true and the paper is now quite waterproof.

I'd read about combining pics to get everything in focus and thought well maybe there's a freeware program to do it, yes there is and it's called CombineZM, a little bit of a learning curve to go through and it will do the job supremely. For the pic below I made three separate files one focussed on the cafe, one on the fence and one on the rails.

Google will find both and they both deserve the ultimate gold medal accolade REELY GRATE.

I found some 7mm figures in an old box of bits, I'll have to repaint them.

9qky9k.jpg

"Why do we have to come here everyday, nothing ever happens, and where's your sister!"

Jim

Just found this thread.

That's a great little layout you've got on the go there Jim. I look forward to seeing more of your progress.

I may just be tempted into digging out the plan I drew up last year for a simular micro O gauge layout. It would certainly give me a chance to have a first go at hand built turnouts.

Guest Jim Read

Hello Kev,

After making that 0-4-2 making a few points will be a doddle, honest! It would go round 34" radius easily, on a previous layout I made a Terrier had no trouble with 32".

Jim

stonking, Jim. I will have to give that programme a look. im guessing that is you at the fence?

glad to see some modelling being done - real life been getting in the way at this end in the form of job applications and report writing. At least with this year's class it is easy to find positive things to say :) (and not "I'm positive he doesn't listen....." :) )

andy

Guest Jim Read

Thanks Mike and thanks Andy,

Yup that's me no specs and some hair, the ball belongs to someone else, sport gets in the way of trainspotting.

Jim

Guest Jim Read

Hello all,

I meant to photograph this way back in the thread, it's the fiddle yard/traverser, a piece of 6mm ply running in a slot across the layout. The upright bits of wood on top are used to slide it, just on graphite at the moment but when I've finished the layout I will take it apart and rub it with a candle wax.

zsawg.jpg

To stop it warping there's a tongue under the traverser and a groove under the layout, just bits of ply. At the other end of the traverser and so that I can remove it [just] the tongue and groove are bolted on.

2dbt44j.jpg

To adjust the travel I got a coarse threaded bolt cut a length of it sawed a groove into it, drilled a hole through the traverser just a bit smaller and screwed it in. A block of wood under the layout acts as a stop and the adjustment is very fine indeed. Of course with my poor woodworking skills the traverser wobbles a bit in it's groove so there are two grub screws on the other side so that it slews around a bit for the alignment.

33lcgnl.jpg

Jim

Archived