Auto couplings for 0-16.5 stock

hayfield

After 3 years of picking up stock for a 16.5 layout, before laying track I need to thing about auto couplings. I am very impressed with the Spratt & Winkle system after using it on a 4mm layout, but its a pain to fit. Should I use this (4mm) system or are there other alternatives please

Hi John,

Much as I am a keen user of S&W, I think that you might find that Dinghams are

easier to fit and look more like the couplings fitted to narrow gauge stock. Also,

if you don't mind that they only work one way round, they are very reliable.

They are a little more fiddly to make though, but once you get into batch work

you can knock them out quite quickly.

Good luck, Jeff

I've found Greenwich couplings to be very good on my O-16.5 shunting layout. They are easy to assemble and fit, and look reasonably like real chopper couplings. They can be worked by either fixed magnets or electromagnets, or on my layout by a powerful hand held magnet to allow uncoupling anywhere on the layout.

Here's a video showing some test operation of the layout, with the Greenwich couplings in action.

Another advantage is that they can negotiate extremely tight curves - this video shows a test of the tightest possible radius.

Paul

Mike

That looks very good and would solve the problem of buffers. The 2 problems that come to mind are

No delayed action (you cannot uncouple and push into place

Locos must work in 1 direction only (no turntables)

Which of the 3 are more reliable / user friendly

Electro magnets or permanent

Thanks as they are very tempting

No delayed action (you cannot uncouple and push into place

John,

As the person responsible for these couplings I must point out that delayed uncoupling is possible, however I have yet to determine the optimum shape for the latch. See the text and the 3rd video here:

http://www.zamzoodle...page782227.aspx

I can't do much about the single ended aspect, but then most prototypes that used chopper couplings ran that way. Prototype fidelity was my number one criteria in developing these. Apparently in Norway they turned the locos at the ends of the line and then manually swapped the chopper between buffers - as the rolling stock itself wasn't turned!

John

John

Thanks for that, missed it first time round

I have had time to think about the couplings ,and can't see it will be much of a problem other than brake vans (if they used them)

Railway Modeller arrived in the post today, 3 x 0-16.5 articles. One on a layout plan, another on a shelf layout and the 3rs on building a Peco coach, plus a free digital supplement. All of which are of interest for the new layout.

Have you sound chipped your loco? if so please what are the details

Hi John,

All my locos use CT Elektronik chips - a mix of SL51 and SL74 & SL75. They are small, incredibly sophisticated but a nightmare to program without (or even with) DecoderPro.

Some more sounds are featured here: http://dev.o14group....wer-on-the-plr/

John

John

Thanks for the reply, I am a DCC numpty so your detailed reply went straight over my head.

Is the delayed action a new coupling or an addition to your existing range and when will it be available

Can you use permanent or do you have to have electro magnets

The other possibility is the new semi-automatic coupling that Zeunert's are making for european ng, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhR2rcBOds4&feature=youtu.be

Thanks for the post but the other type is spot on for what I want in looks

Is the delayed action a new coupling or an addition to your existing range and when will it be available

Can you use permanent or do you have to have electro magnets

Hi John,

The delayed action is purely experimental at the moment - it was achieved with a small latch made from a very thin strip of metal and would work on all my coupler types. As noted on my About page (http://www.zamzoodle...page782227.aspx) I do not currently produce components for this and I confess it is not currently high on my priority list. More details can be found in Narrow Gauge & Industrial Review issues 86 & 87.

Electro magnets are probably best for spot uncoupling, but they need to be fairly powerful. Mine are home made using approx. 1500 turns of 33swg (0.25mm) enamelled wire on a 5mm bolt. You can also use a magnet on a stick for manual operation. Hopefully this will be clear from the instructions on my Resources page.

I hope this helps.

John

At least two 0-16.5 modellers use Paul Windle's 009 couplings...

They're another Hook+loop style with centre buffing head. Can be assembled either single or double ended and the instructions include adaptation for agnetic operation.

One further question if I may, our station is on a 19' curve, will this be OK for coupling and un coupling as I see that it may not work on curves

For coupling the chopper needs to locate in the matching buffer slot reliably and this is obviously affected by curves, large or mismatched overhangs on stock, couplings off centre and slop in the gauge. I can't guarantee they will work on such curves but if you minimise the other factors and perhaps open up the slot a bit (as noted in the instructions) they may well work OK.

The sharper the curve the more the chopper will tend to stick in the slot so you may need to use stronger electromagnets. You also need to ensure the slots and chopper are polished smooth and perhaps use graphite too (also noted in the instructions).

I hope this helps.

John

For coupling the chopper needs to locate in the matching buffer slot reliably and this is obviously affected by curves, large or mismatched overhangs on stock, couplings off centre and slop in the gauge. I can't guarantee they will work on such curves but if you minimise the other factors and perhaps open up the slot a bit (as noted in the instructions) they may well work OK.

The sharper the curve the more the chopper will tend to stick in the slot so you may need to use stronger electromagnets. You also need to ensure the slots and chopper are polished smooth and perhaps use graphite too (also noted in the instructions).

I hope this helps.

John

John

Thanks, as we are about to start building track it would be quite easy to add in a few alterations to the plan, If I could manage to make and fit the delayed action version even easier

• RMweb Premium

I have used DG (available from Wizard Models and KDs with my 016.5 stock. I moved to KD to work with others. The DGs are fine and cheaper than KD. Both give remote uncoupling opportunities.

In reality its up to you. I have never got on with Spratt and Winkle but I know they work, can't see 3 link so stick with bigger things.

KDs are easy to fit and don't need as much patience to put together - but really its up to you.

He means me - John Clutterbuck

I will have a stash of couplers with me if anyone wants to see (or buy) some.

Sadly a bit far for me and I think I am working that weekend, I think I will order a set anyway and give them a go as they are the look what I want. Just sorting out what I want to buy in what order, but these will have to come soon so they can be tried out before we go too much further.

• RMweb Premium

I am operating at Sparsholt but I am not doing any demo,s

He means me - John Clutterbuck

I will have a stash of couplers with me if anyone wants to see (or buy) some.

Oh !! How confusing - many apologies - I didn't realise there were two of you - too many Johns :O

Mike

Archived