Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

Oliver Cromwell stranded at Cleethorpes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 chriswright03

chriswright03

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 14:53

Thanks to spotting a status update from nimbamoss the other day I decided to have a ride across and see if I could get a few piccies. Still there with the support coach presumably awaiting recovery complete with DO NOT MOVE sign.

IMG_3079.JPG

IMG_3082.JPG
  • Like x 3

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 beast66606

beast66606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,480 posts
  • LocationCrewe and North an South thereof and Anglian

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:08

Has it paid and displayed ?

I believe it has the old Scottish drunks problem.

Piston broke.
  • Like x 2

#3 Simon Lee

Simon Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationDoncaster

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:33

Allegedly. it was a broken piston ring which is now fixed, loco is remaining at Cleethorpes for its next working this coming Saturday.

Regards

Simon

#4 Bon Accord

Bon Accord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Location61B

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:46

Well there's a nice pub at least next to the booking office - always has decent real ale on.

#5 Lady_Ava_Hay

Lady_Ava_Hay

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  • LocationSouth Coast UK

Posted 05 March 2012 - 15:58

When something similar happened to the Duke of Gloucester, did they not take the motion down on one side, bung that cylinder in neutral and steam back on only one?

In any event, I wouldn't have thought that a busted piston ring would do more than affect performance, surely?

#6 Bon Accord

Bon Accord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Location61B

Posted 05 March 2012 - 16:05

When something similar happened to the Duke of Gloucester, did they not take the motion down on one side, bung that cylinder in neutral and steam back on only one?

Wasn't that Britannia some years ago? I seem to recall she limped home with the motion on one side dismantled. Could be a different incident of course.

#7 Simon Lee

Simon Lee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationDoncaster

Posted 05 March 2012 - 16:07

In any event, I wouldn't have thought that a busted piston ring would do more than affect performance, surely?

Just going on information provided by the support crew, who actually changed the rings yesterday.

Given the current performance regiem on Network Rail and regarding steam on the ECML, anything that compromises performance should surly be avoided.

#8 The Stationmaster

The Stationmaster

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29,319 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 16:12

Given the current performance regiem on Network Rail and regarding steam on the ECML, anything that compromises performance should surly be avoided.

Steam hauled specials? (retires to nuclear proof bunker with tongue firmly in cheek, BUT unless steam locos perform consistently reliably they will be impinging on network performance and folk shouldn't forget that in my view).
  • Like x 2

#9 34theletterbetweenB&D

34theletterbetweenB&D

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,884 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 16:15

If such a thing did happen with DoG, it starting out with three cylinders gives the advantage of not going 'blind' in the event of an unplanned stop. A loco reduced to a single cylinder is always vulnerable to being unable to restart, and you can bet that it will happen in the worst possible location. The problem with a broken piston ring is what the pieces do if the cylinder is put to steam. A heavily scored cylinder liner is the least serious outcome, and significantly worse damage is possible.
  • Like x 2

#10 LMS2968

LMS2968

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationWigan

Posted 05 March 2012 - 16:19

I believe that when 70000 limped home on one cylinder, it was a hot big end that was the problem.

Broken ring(s), depending on how badly, could, in extreme cases, allow steam to bypass them and so act on both sides of the piston, to a more or less extent putting that cylinder out of action. Not good at the head of a heavy train.

#11 Bon Accord

Bon Accord

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,178 posts
  • Location61B

Posted 05 March 2012 - 16:25

A loco reduced to a single cylinder is always vulnerable to being unable to restart, and you can bet that it will happen in the worst possible location.

I seem to recall seeing a photo/film (I forget which) of a Victorian loco with just that problem - a large 'jemmy' bar was kept in the tender for such occasions, whereupon the Fireman would get out, and jam it under a driving wheel to move away from TDC/BDC.

#12 eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • LocationEast of the west coast and west of the east coast

Posted 10 March 2012 - 16:03

Stranded no longer:
Crossing the Don near Thorpe Marsh/Barnby Dun 10/3:
IMGP4579.jpg
IMGP4580.jpg

Of course, 10 mins earlier (and also later), the sun was out for a 66 (with white cab roofs?):
IMGP4576.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide, 10 March 2012 - 16:03 .

• Like x 2

#13 beast66606

beast66606

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,480 posts
  • LocationCrewe and North an South thereof and Anglian

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:16

Of course, 10 mins earlier (and also later), the sun was out for a 66 (with white cab roofs?):

66077 then

#14 eastwestdivide

eastwestdivide

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,816 posts
  • LocationEast of the west coast and west of the east coast

Posted 10 March 2012 - 17:24

66077 then

I'd have guessed 177 or 122 from this crop - what do you think?:
zoom.jpg

There's some interesting photo locations around there, although those freight lines need either a freight timetable or a great deal of luck. I had some of the latter, but the whole area was busy with freight for a Saturday morning. and I missed more than I photographed.

Edited by eastwestdivide, 10 March 2012 - 17:26 .