Card kits for detached and semi detached houses?

You might try the Wills Craftsman kit, CK11. It's a bag of plastic bits including material sheets, which you have to cut out according to supplied templates. They make up into nice looking buildings:

Houses008.jpg

Houses011.jpg

Drawback is the dreaded Wills sheets which are the very devil to work. I built the ones pictured using Evergreen 0.040" sheet and Slaters embossed stone sheets.

John

Or try Scalescenes - pretty sure they are due to release a 1930's semi

I've made the terraced houses and I'd say they are actually harder than the Wills Craftsman kits.

http://bmrcm.org/building-scalescenes-small-terraced-houses

P1010007.jpg

P1010008.jpg

Howard Scenics kits do appear to make up into lovely looking buildings. I've not made any of these I must confess.

None of these are in the Metcalfe/Superquik league for ease of assembly. They do give the builder a very high sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

John

Apparently (Art Deco 1930's) they're coming soon. Announced on Scalescenes website agenda for a 2012 release. Kingsway also do two very attractive styles in a card kit. Again from the 1930's era of urban expansion which pretty much fits any scenerio from then to the current day. Lovely. For those wishing to inflict the BNW of modern image on themselves as if being in surrounded by it IRL isn't already depressing enough, just add a wall, the shabby unkempt look so representative of contemporary society and some graffiti. Voila!

Thanks to everyone who replied,one problem is that I model N gauge which I forgot to mention in my thread starter.I like the Scalescenes kits because they always look lived in.

Looks like at the moment I'll probably buy a Metcalfe kit and use that as a basis for scratch building something.

John,

I like your terrace cottages,especially the window cills which look more as they should be than the standard thin kit version,I'll be trying that out when I build some more Scalescenes buildings.

Allan

• RMweb Premium

I've made the terraced houses and I'd say they are actually harder than the Wills Craftsman kits.

http://bmrcm.org/bui...terraced-houses

Howard Scenics kits do appear to make up into lovely looking buildings. I've not made any of these I must confess.

None of these are in the Metcalfe/Superquik league for ease of assembly. They do give the builder a very high sense of accomplishment and satisfaction.

John

They look very good though.

• 3 weeks later...

Bilteezi do some card kits of detached and semi detached houses.

These are available in N-gauge from the N-guage society and other vendors if you can find them.

BILT-EEZI - Card kits

BTZ001 SEMI DETACHED HOUSES £0.95

BTZ020 DETACHED HOUSE OR TWO SEMI'S £0.95

BTZ021 BUNGALOW WITH GARAGE £0.95

These can look very good if you are prepared to do a bit of work on them.

• use the printed thin card sheet as a skin over a thicker card structure,
  • recess windows and doors, and
  • add a few extra details such as rainwater pipes and guttering.

At 95p a sheet you can afford to have fun experimenting with them.

I am using a Bilteezi platform kit in OO over a balsa wood structure.

It's turned out to be rather more effective than I was expecting.

Regards,

Chris

Black Hat

can we have a look at them, Chris?

I don't have any of these models, but I have other Bilteezi 'kits' in N-gauge and OO. They also do them in 3mm.

I bodged up some of the cottages in N-gauge years ago but don't have them any more.

I have been using the Bilteezi OO platform kit on a balsa core for Jenswell.

I am pleased with the results so far but I don't know if it will make a decent photo!

I have more of their warehouse and dairy/factory kits I intend using for Grove Hill Yard when I make some progress.

There is a good photo of the semi and bungalow (not mine) on N-Gauge forum with comments on how they did it here:

<http://www.ngaugefor...hp?topic=2649.0>

post-684-0-05429400-1333619491.jpg

Bilteezi platform photo added 5-4-12.

The waiting shelter is an Alphagraphix kit.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Phil,

Can do.

This is the start of the floor plan,I've done more since on it and I'm in the process of drawing the various inner,outer and cover layers.

I'll post more pics when I've drawn the construction layers up and as it progresses .

I think I could well make a mirror image of it so it's a proper pair of semis later,perhaps leave the rear extension off the second one,or just shorten it.

semibuild.png

Allan

I have been playing around with this today.

You will probobly need to scale it, or I can post a pdf on here. printing lots of copies and making layers to give it some 3D might improve it. I have left the roof to you all, but could finish it if there is any interest.

Let me know if it is any use!

post-11344-0-61343100-1333797359_thumb.jpg

have fun

Andy

Thanks Andy,if you could post the PDF it would be handy,I'm always on the lookout for suitable base material to modify.

I've been Googling for house plans in the 30s to 40s era but not found a useful site for English houses.

Allan

I've been Googling for house plans in the 30s to 40s era but not found a useful site for English houses.

You won't find anything substantive. This period has been largely ignored by local historians - so says my local buildings expert also known as SWMBO.

I think the best resource is probably estate agents adverts - they'll all have photos. However this will be a ephemeral resource as when they're sold they tend to disappear after a time.

Here you go, folks - both sides of the semi and a few different colour doors :)

Hope you like!

If enough peple think they are worth it, I will have a go at a complete house and roof. It will be basic like this is, but suitable for printing multiple copies and layering, as well as for background use. Would look good in T scale, of course :D

Offered for yur delight and delectation as PDF and JPEG files - same detail on each. Not up to scalescenes standard, but then who can compete with a master!

post-11344-0-32316100-1333812988_thumb.jpg

1930s semi.pdf

All the best

Andy

edit: ps, if I get time, I will do a set of instructons and post, should anyone feel the the need :)

Archived