Marylebone mpd and goods.

spackz

Has anyone got any good quality photos or know of any books that may contain photos of Marylebone Mpd, including the shed, goods platform and surrounding buildings, i'm looking to build a mid sized diorama of this area as seen in the early sixties. Ive found a track plan but there aren't many photos around on flickr or google etc.

Kind Regards

Paul.

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone got any good quality photos or know of any books that may contain photos of Marylebone Mpd, including the shed, goods platform and surrounding buildings, i'm looking to build a mid sized diorama of this area as seen in the early sixties. Ive found a track plan but there aren't many photos around on flickr or google etc.

Kind Regards

Paul.

Surely Marylebone didn't have a MPD? There was a turntable north of the station on the up side.

I have a book "London's Railway's from the Air" and the two photos show the facilities including the TT but no MPD. It mentions in the text there was no MPD.

Keith

• RMweb Gold

taking to some of the older drivers at work i was under the impression there was a depot of some sort to the right hand side as you looked north, where the flats are now, accessed from the tunnel sidings by setting back into it?

• RMweb Gold

a quick trip round youtube reveals this from 1990

it is where i thought and is now flats, basically between the running lines and the met

have a look at some of the other vids by the same user, although not fantastic quality they are a very interesting look at the old NSE days round marylebone

• RMweb Gold

talking to some of the older drivers at work i was under the impression there was a depot of some sort to the right hand side as you looked north, where the flats are now, accessed from the tunnel sidings by setting back into it?

There was a TT and some sidings there by the carriage shed on the pre WW2 maps. By the late 1950s i think that had gone and there was then a TT on the other side just past the road bridge over the end of the platforms.

My copy of "The Great Central Then and Now" has a map dated 1955 showing a turntable immediately to the North of Rossmore Road bridge to the left departing Marylebone Station.

The carriage sheds are shown on the right just beyond the same bridge these "survived" as a DMU depot until replaced by a purpose built depot at Aylesbury according to my info.

The turntable and associated sidings look as if they could hold a handful of locos, but I thought in steam days the locos for the principal services came down to Marylebone Station from Neasden shed.

Edit spelling again

so the "shed" in the video is the old carriage shed rather than an MPD? if so i take it it was adapted for use as a fuel and service point for dmus and locos at some point

Additional quote from the book " The former carriage sheds survive as a depot to carry out first-line examinations, running repairs, fuelling and cleaning work on the DMUs: it is treated as a sub-shed of Bletchley Depot, which undertakes any higher maintenance work. The Marylebone Depot will close when the purpose-built depot at Aylesbury to service the new Networker Turbo DMUs is commissioned, but a new carriage cleaning plant is to be built at Marylebone, so this duty will still be able to be carried out there" (1989)

I don't know whether it all happened as above as my interests are more orientated towards to the GC London Extension days of Marylebone.

The Marylebone engine shed was used as such in early GC days, though I think mainly for pilot engines. I can't recall the precise date it closed, and the engines were transferred to Neasden, but it was 'early' GC days, prior to WW1. I believe the shed was subsequently used, among other things, as a shooting gallery.

Are you thinking of the IMS milk depot on Rossmore road? That had a goods platform just north and east of the station which was used for milk, parcels and fish IIRC. It was not far from the carriage sheds (Marleybone did not have an MPD as such).

Are you thinking of the IMS milk depot on Rossmore road? That had a goods platform just north and east of the station which was used for milk, parcels and fish IIRC. It was not far from the carriage sheds (Marleybone did not have an MPD as such).

It could well be mate, I have seen several photos of a class 15 being used as a carriage heating unit in that area, sat alongside the platform. I couldn't find any wider aspect photos of the whole area both ground level and from above, so I'm having trouble linking the shed area and milk depot to the same spot. From the photos of the class 15 I was under the impression that the back end of the shed (with attached offices) is adjacent to the milk depot platform.

I should have been clearer about the MPD section, as this seems to be a shed area for the servicing of DMU's in the 60's onwards.

Thanks for everyones replies,it looks like photos from Marylebone are hard to come by.

There was a shed at Marylebone known as Marylebone Goods Opened in 1897 a single track shed of at least 2 loco length closed in 1914.

There were servicing facilities on the opposite side of the line which was known as Marylebone Station A servicing area opened in 1897 with a turntable and coal platform. A mechanical coaler was installed in 1937 and the facility closed by BR in 1966. The turntable and possibly the coaler survived until the 1980's.

[Ed]broken links

• RMweb Gold

you can see it towards the end of the youtube video i posted above i think, there are a few dmu coaches and an 08 parked up there

This is an interesting thread. My grandfather worked his way up the footplate grades at Neasden, and then transferred to Marylebone diesel depot when Neasden closed. He retired circa 1976/7, but sadly died in 1984 before I really had the chance to ask him about his work. Somewhere we have an 8mm cine film of Neasden in the 1930s and the route learning notes he made.

Andy

This picture (links below) shows the area I want to model, am I correct in saying that those buildings in the background are the DMU shed and offices? With the former milk depot platform and class 15 in the foreground? Or am I combining the two areas when they are in completely seperate locations?

I am just after an overview of the whole area as a photo taken from the road bridge etc.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=311404

http://www.flickr.com/photos/beerdave1745/6312740412/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8050359@N07/6327017522/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dwbphotos/6041558217/

• RMweb Gold

A few shots of the carriage sheds in their DMU stabling days.

http://www.railwayphotos.net/sheds/marylebone.html#1

A shot about halfway down of Flying Scotsman on the turntable just north of rossmore road bridge.

http://www.mdrs.org.uk/steamspecials.htm

wow what a fantastic website, never thought i'd see a picture of a class 90 in rickmansworth, but i have now!

This picture (links below) shows the area I want to model, am I correct in saying that those buildings in the background are the DMU shed and offices? With the former milk depot platform and class 15 in the foreground? Or am I combining the two areas when they are in completely seperate locations?

Yes, this is the old milk and parcels platform with the DMU shed in the background.

• RMweb Gold

They should have kept this depot open as the new Wembley shed is in the wrong pace and there are lots of ECS workings to and from Marylebone which takes up paths on a busy 2 track mainline.

Shortsighted politicians again!

XF

i think it was a lot to do with a few acres of prime real estate in central london that could be sold for development, the ecs' are all timed to depart marylebone at certain times, there are certainly very few vstp movements within the station or up to wembley, with the remodeling of neasden jn movements from the north onto wembley can now easily turn back at neasden rather than having to run into marylebone as they used to to avoid blocking the jn

ecs' that dont need to go to wembley are now stabled on the wall sidings during the day

The Turn Table only got filled in a few years ago when the down sidings where ripped up and they built platforms 5 & 6 over them the diesel depot land was the most expensive bit of real estate that BR ever sold

The TT to the west of the station shows up on the OS maps for 1955 but wasn't shown in 1951

So how does that equate to the image in M&DRS Site? The turntable was definitely in use up until closure of the servicing area by BR in 1966 and I can see no reason to doubt the date given on the M&DRS site. On the other hand OS are not normally so far out.

• RMweb Premium

So how does that equate to the image in http://www.mdrs.org....eamspecials.htm ? The turntable was definitely in use up until closure of the servicing area by BR in 1966 and I can see no reason to doubt the date given on the M&DRS site. On the other hand OS are not normally so far out.

http://www.mdrs.org/

takes me to "Midwest Double Reed Society"!!!!

I think the link is broken

Keith

• RMweb Gold

The TT to the west of the station shows up on the OS maps for 1955 but wasn't shown in 1951

So how does that equate to the image in M&DRS Site? The turntable was definitely in use up until closure of the servicing area by BR in 1966 and I can see no reason to doubt the date given on the M&DRS site. On the other hand OS are not normally so far out.

Sorry if my original post wasn't clear.

The TT on the east side by the carriage shed was on the OS maps up to 1951. Unfortunately Oldmaps is playing up at the moment so I cant get a reference for it.

The one in the M&DRS photo of Scotsman was on the west side by Rossmore Road bridge. That was on the maps from 1955 and I think was still in use until steam specials stopped using Marylebone. The pit was still visible in 2003, but was later covered in a heap of spoil.

To put a cat amongst the pigeons this turntable, although no longer there, appears on the English Heritage website as having been Grade II Listed in 1987. Oops!!

Archived