RMweb Project Layout 2012

Andy Y

That's correct; the first stage is for the teams to submit proposals; make a selection and then move (rapdily) onwards from there.

It will have to be RAPID with possibly only 6 months to build from plan to finished layout it is hardly going to be another Retford.*

Perhaps another good opportunity for the "Layout in 6 weeks" team ? Which was a RMWeb Feature from the past. Whatever happened to the thread(s)?

Not only a challenge to come up with a team and agree on a concept, but also finding space and time to complete.* (NB for those reading that is no slur on Retford)

What a great idea! I can't wait to see what sort of layouts are entered, and love the idea of publicising it on both RMWeb and in the magazine. Hopefully this will be an annual thing, and if an example of how Warners and Andy propose to develop things over time, I for one am very excited about the future!

David

P.S I'd consider entering but I'd worry working in a team would slow me down ;)

Awsome idea, shame I don't have anyone to team up with for errr umm a 3mm/ft layout...

Would love to do it - in fact already thought of the background concept..

TT = Table top.. so build the layout well on a table top!!!

Guest oldlugger

I'd love to enter this competition but there are no other RMwebbers here in my area and I'm too far to form/join a group in the UK. What a shame. Great idea though!

Cheers

Simon

What a great idea! I can't wait to see what sort of layouts are entered, and love the idea of publicising it on both RMWeb and in the magazine. Hopefully this will be an annual thing, and if an example of how Warners and Andy propose to develop things over time, I for one am very excited about the future!

David

P.S I'd consider entering but I'd worry working in a team would slow me down ;)

I was going to joke about making the competition more 'interesting' by nominating teams and suggest yourself and Southernboy as I'd be interested to see what you'd come up with!

• RMweb Premium

It will have to be RAPID with possibly only 6 months to build from plan to finished layout it is hardly going to be another Retford.*

Perhaps another good opportunity for the "Layout in 6 weeks" team ? Which was a RMWeb Feature from the past. Whatever happened to the thread(s)?

Not only a challenge to come up with a team and agree on a concept, but also finding space and time to complete.* (NB for those reading that is no slur on Retford)

The timescale doesn't mean it has to be a shunting plank. I recently read the article on High Dyke, which was built in 12 months.

My own involvement with Narrow Road and Tickhill and Wadworth (12 months and 9 months respectively) and the next one (Just started but due at a show in September) have shown me what two determined modellers can do in a short timescale, especially with a deadline to meet. Peter Denny built the last version of Buckingham by himself in around 12 months too.

A common factor in many modelling projects (mine as much as anybody elses) is the amount of time wasted or the number of distractions. Do away with those and work with somebody with drive, determination and focus and miracles can happen!

Sadly my co-worker is not on RMWeb and is not likely to join up, so I will have to rule myself out of any entry for this one.

That is one very generous competition prize and talk about publicity; you’d have to be crazy not to enter.

Crazy not to enter? What an odd thing to say... Especially as the discussion has been quite reasoned up to now.

Having re read tthe original post, I think it's a shame it's only for groups.

I suspect that the timescale for this project will put off many folk. You'd certainly have to put all current projects to one side whilst this challenge was on. Interesting idea though...

Don't forget we built Treneglos in 9 months, young Spams.!!

...and 7 months of that was spent drinking beer and eating pies..

The timescale doesn't mean it has to be a shunting plank.

Did I mention "shunting plank"? I thought the example I gave was "A layout in 6 weeks" - An excellent example of how it can be done. It is that I can see quite a lot of time used up in the decision process: finding a team if one doesn't already exist (a very exclusive side to the challenge, as I suspect only an existing team or club already has the unity to get going quick enough); then the problem of reaching an agreement within the team on the layout form, design, prototype (we have all seen how difficult it is for an individual let alone a team to reach common agreement); then there is the actual time taken to implement, in theory more hands make faster progress but this requires easy access and probably a common location (again most likely a club); not to mention the added documentation and longer term commitments.

I'm not saying impossible - again I give the excellent example of "A layout in 6 weeks" but hardly a broad challenge to the membership as a whole. Just how many of the membership are even in a position to form a team with other members unless they are already associated through a club? Also are prepared to devote all their modelling time and some to the challenge for the next 7 months?

I certainly don't think the timescale is too bad. Afterall, for me at least, the limiting factor is cash more than time. It also depends whether the track is hand-built or RTR. If it's RTR and knowing you'll get the money back quickly, getting the basic layout up and sorted could take as little as a weekend or two ( depending on the size). I'm assuming of course, also, that Rolling Stock isn't included in the budget.

Well, I don't think there's any 'challenge' if there are no limits or boundaries so this lives up to its definition perfectly!

I guess, thinking about this logically, you first need to advertise your availability as a team member if you are not already part of one? And right here in this thread is perhaps the place to do it.

If you can then decide on a proposal, submit it, and wait for the call. If you're successful then organising your team into sub-teams (a la The Apprentice!) to build the various components - baseboard/track, scenery, stock, etc. and with regular meets for progress and kicks up the Rs. Writing reports will be simple enough for anyone who can string a sentence together (OK, maybe not so simple for some...) and then a subscription to Avon for the video shoots.

This is definitely doable for motivated people. With that in mind, and putting my money where my mouth is, I'm in for a team based in the south around the Brighton area.

Steve

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget we built Treneglos in 9 months, young Spams.!!

...and 7 months of that was spent drinking beer and eating pies..

Sorted...looks like we'll be building a pie and pasty factory then.

We’re looking for a group of registered RMweb members (2 or more people working together as 1 team)

If we register our imaginary friends on RMWeb, can they be part of the team, thereby circumventing the need to interact with real people? ;)

Guest Natalie Graham

If we register our imaginary friends on RMWeb, can they be part of the team, thereby circumventing the need to interact with real people? ;)

Just be sure they won't throw you off the team and finish the layout by themselves.

• RMweb Premium

Of course, you don't actually need to know or meet up with the other members, as long as you have a proper set of plans. If someone is good at baseboards then they can make them. Likewise, someone who can build track using templot, someone who can scratchbuild structures, stock, etc.

I am crap at woodwork, my track work is acceptable and I reckon I can knock up some ok structures. Anyone fancy a joint effort long distance?

I suspect that getting together with friends, the arm-twisting, negotiation, agreement on a project etc. takes rather longer with a group than with an individual. It may be a while before groups come forward.

As to all the lonely hearts out there, living far away from anyone else need not be an obstruction to group participation, as Sandside has just suggested. The problems are likely to come afterwards when only one of the group gets to keep the layout?

How about a modular approach, where people build separate modules which add up to an entry together?

Archived