SECR Birdcage Coaches

Bill

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a bore, but Cheam was that loco’s original name, so may not be the location.

Sherry and I did pass Nonsuch Skool the other day. It is the architectural brother to our own alma mater in Dorking.

The sidings at Streatham were Eardley, named after an adjacent road.

• RMweb Gold

Quite possibly not Cheam station.

Cheam is built as a 4 track layout with 2 side platforms and a central island.

The central island was never built, so today its a very wide 2 platform station with space for 2 additional tracks and a platform between the two running lines... certainly no gap in-between those rails.

Quite why TFL didn't take the opportunity to finish the job and extend overground to Cheam and provide a useful service to Sutton, instead of the useless Turnback at West Croydon I don't know.

Heres 70013 arriving at a Soaking wet Cheam in 2014, note the abundance of wide open space at this station..

Did I say it was raining...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to be a bore, but Cheam was that loco’s original name, so may not be the location.

Sherry and I did pass Nonsuch Skool the other day. It is the architectural brother to our own alma mater in Dorking.

The sidings at Streatham were Eardley, named after an adjacent road.

Thank you ! I was wondering whether this could be the case but the notes at the bottom were ambiguous!

• RMweb Gold

Cheam’s middle roads were fine places for the Mid-Sussex fasts to race through, and just occasionally to overtake a stopping service if trains were out of kilter. But once the M-S trains were diverted away in the Central 78 recast, to go via Gatwick, the middle roads had scant justification.

• RMweb Gold

Cheam’s middle roads were fine places for the Mid-Sussex fasts to race through, and just occasionally to overtake a stopping service if trains were out of kilter. But once the M-S trains were diverted away in the Central 78 recast, to go via Gatwick, the middle roads had scant justification.

Living beside the tracks at Cheam the only EMUs to be worth watching were the Nelsons thundering through with their swaying front gangways- after the wood-bodied augmented 4-SUBs were withdrawn.

Let’s hope they haven’t ended up in the Streatham Common condemned coaches sidings before we got to run them!

I found this pic said to be at Cheam ( I lived there ‘53- ‘63 ).and I think it is taken near the road bridge carrying the Epsom road, near Nonsuch School.

LOVE that photo! Here's my version ;) somewhat ruined by a massive front coupling and ugly BR front number plate that shouldn't be there and probably 101 other inaccuracies. Ohhh for a new tool...

post-29051-0-50741800-1515929164_thumb.jpg

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Quite possibly not Cheam station.

Cheam is built as a 4 track layout with 2 side platforms and a central island.

The central island was never built, so today its a very wide 2 platform station with space for 2 additional tracks and a platform between the two running lines... certainly no gap in-between those rails.

Quite why TFL didn't take the opportunity to finish the job and extend overground to Cheam and provide a useful service to Sutton, instead of the useless Turnback at West Croydon I don't know.

Heres 70013 arriving at a Soaking wet Cheam in 2014, note the abundance of wide open space at this station..

attachicon.gifS2330004.JPG

Did I say it was raining...attachicon.gifS2330014.JPG

Now there's a coincidence. I was there that day getting absolutely soaked as I didn't have a coat with me. Fairly sure that's me second from right on the bridge in your photos.

post-5890-0-30385100-1515930799.jpg

post-5890-0-93073800-1515930832.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Now there's a coincidence. I was there that day getting absolutely soaked as I didn't have a coat with me. Fairly sure that's me second from right on the bridge in your photos.

attachicon.gifIMG_0854-1.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_0883-1.jpg

I was astounded at the number of people did show up there. There was a few hundred on the platform, around 100 boarded, the other 100 watched, didn’t think that station was so busy in Rush hour.

In recent years we’ve had 34046/45212/61306 and 70000 through there, all but one were north bound only, via Mitcham (45212), the other 34046 went the rarest of steam routes via West Croydon, which was only the 4th steam trip since 1966 I understand), I suspect the crews are scared of hard work going south.

Interesting side, but next station up towards Ewell, someone has an SR lattice style home semaphore in their garden, on the “Up” side just after departing Ewell East towards Cheam.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

Living beside the tracks at Cheam the only EMUs to be worth watching were the Nelsons thundering through with their swaying front gangways- after the wood-bodied augmented 4-SUBs were withdrawn.

That's the other point, of course - not just the number of tracks but the number of rails on each track !

We must be near neighbours, I live off the Wallington line.

I was thinking (almost) to go down there and have a look, but weren't the bridges demolished recently ?

Every time Ive seen it from the train.. its swamp.. apart from that big incinerator being built close by.

Hackbridge, Like Mitcham looked to have sidings back in the day, but I haven't seen any pictures. I was always surprised given the size of Carshalton, that neither it's stations had any sidings, though Wallington looks to have been subtstantial.

Whilst looking up old pictures of these line's online (can't find any more birdcages), I noticed a few of the overhead wires, you can still see cutoff's from those gantries at West Croydon, that and where the bomb exploded in 1941 raises the section of plat 3 which if you look still have it's temporary repair visible (I point these reminders from history out to my daughter as we travel then pull out the books to show her how it was).

meanwhile maybe some day Sutton can visit its owners.

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/9165171.The_mystery_of_the_missing_locomotive/

A bridge was demolished last year, but it was one that had no access. The one in the picture is still there. (well it was this morning when my train left Hackbridge !) There is also one further north accessible via a footpath opposite The Goat pub where a footpath runs alongside Mitcham Golf Course. Totally off topic I know, but Hackbridge also had a loco named after it. An E3 IIRC. 

A goods yard at Carshalton would have been difficalt due to the elevated nature of the station. I believe the station was a later addition to the line due to resistance from local land owners.

A bridge was demolished last year, but it was one that had no access. The one in the picture is still there. (well it was this morning when my train left Hackbridge !) There is also one further north accessible via a footpath opposite The Goat pub where a footpath runs alongside Mitcham Golf Course. Totally off topic I know, but Hackbridge also had a loco named after it. An E3 IIRC.

A goods yard at Carshalton would have been difficalt due to the elevated nature of the station. I believe the station was a later addition to the line due to resistance from local land owners.

Another bridge was demolished fairly recently, that carrying the main road from Wallington to Mitcham over the platforms at the Sutton end of the station.

Hackbridge was No 484, a Billinton E4 radial tank.

The history of Carshalton station is very muddled and stories abound. Part of the problem is that Wallington station on the West Croydon to Epsom line was opened as "Carshalton" and only renamed when the Peckham Rye to Sutton line opened some years later. The OS map of the times actually captures this line under construction, with the earthworks basically complete, but only single track in place. It is clear that the current location for Carshalton station was in place right from the start, but there is an oddity that one of the side roads, some distance away, with no access to the tracks on the embankment, is called Station Road! To add to the confusion Howard Turner noted that the station moved in 1902. The original station building was a timber structure, similar to the first station at Uckfiled, replaced by the current structure in 1902. Photos of the first building clearly show it in the same location, which is very distinctive to those familiar with it.

Edited by Nick Holliday

PeterH,

That lighting installation you made is fabulous.

I'm right behind you.

Have taken coach apart and bought lighting strip.

Some help please.

Did you put in a circuit to light carriage in both directions?

Any details of what you did would be very much appreciated.

thanks

peter jf

Hattons have just informed me that the ex SECR birdcage composite 5453 in SR olive green is due on or after Friday 26 January 2018.

......... OR AFTER ... hmmmm ! .............. I bet they won't manage to post it at the same time as the 'H' class ...........................

[ Of course I'm still wondering WHY the composites are delayed so much ...... my latest theory - based entirely on supposition - is that the factory turned them out ( on time ) as Dia.316 rather than Dia.315  -  and now they've got the replacements on the boat, they're busy re-spraying the originals in malachite ! ................................... don't suppose we'll ever know the true story.]  

Edited by Wickham Green

Hattons have just informed me that the ex SECR birdcage composite 5453 in SR olive green is due on or after Friday 26 January 2018.

Here we are half way through Friday the 26th and Hattons are not confirming receipt .............. and they're STILL showing the Maunsell green 'H' this month too ........................................................ what was that word ? ..... "after" !

..... the Spanish have a word for it "mañana" ...............

The yoof of today have another word for it..."whenevah".

(And, yes, I'm also awaiting mine! :senile: )

Edited by truffy

All of which leaves me wondering if I should just order another set and renumber them. I had thought that Bachmann might do a Hornby, and crank out another set of different numbered coaches. But, at this rate, a certain warm place 'down below' (and I'm not referring to the Antipodes) might have formed an icy crust by then.

Just received notice from Hattons that my 39-611 has been processed. So I guess that means packed ready for shipping. 

Edit: second email to say it's packed. So my guess was incorrect, but close enough.

Edited by truffy

Just received notice from Hattons that my 39-611 has been processed. So I guess that means packed ready for shipping. 

Well mine's certainly been packed - at 16.10 precisely ! ...........

.......... and took 21½ hours to get from Widnes to Warrington Mail Centre .....

............... appears to be still in Warrington 20½ hours later .............. but It's found its way to "Medway" as if by magic ! ( 44 hours from packing ) ......

............ finally arrived 139½ hours after packing.

Edited by Wickham Green
  • Like 1