Fords at Dagenham

• RMweb Premium

This idea may seem batty, but bear with me. I've ordered a Rokuhan 'Shorty' Z gauge powered bogie chassis.

The Ford BTH loco is the one item of UK motive power I can think of which might be short enough to fit it. I shall have to see what the actual dimensions of the chassis are when it arrives in around mid-October, and whether adapting the BTH loco drawings can provide a 'box' to fit over it. Possibly a postcard mock-up first.

Why....well in my workshop there is an architects model of the GCR 'Bridge' project to Z scale, and today I agreed to refurb it for display use at events where our N gauge 'Bridge' is too long. I'd like to have something to run on it!

Dava

Edited by Dava
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I sent the idea to Simon at Rue D'Etropal. Amazingly, he has the Shorty chassis and has redesigned the BTH loco body to fit it in Z scale - same evening! So it's now available from Recreation 21 at Shapeways.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/D298XRMNL/b-220fs-fd-dag-diesel-loco-1

I'll order one when the chassis arrives. So you could use it on a Z scale model of Ford Dagenham steelworks, or the K&ESR!

• Like 1

I think one reason the Shorty chasis should fit is that I looks like it is designed for an American type loco. If you look at the Ford loco, yo will realise it is based on a standard American loco of that period, but to a much reduced loading gauge. The height is about the same as the bonnet on an American loco. It is why the HO versionI had printed ftted a Bachman GE44 chassis.

I took the opportunity to also resize the model for O and G1.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 5 years later...