Fords at Dagenham

Hope these may be of some use, Andy's previous set of drawings and photos are fantastic! I drew these up from the LOGGIES' measurements and photos.

post-7598-0-72938500-1494074604_thumb.jpg

post-7598-0-05290200-1494074628_thumb.jpg

And here's a photo with the single headlight.

post-7598-0-73293100-1494074760_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Simon

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hope these may be of some use, Andy's previous set of drawings and photos are fantastic! I drew these up from the LOGGIES' measurements and photos.

attachicon.gifscan0036.jpg

attachicon.gifscan0035.jpg

And here's a photo with the single headlight.

attachicon.gifFord, single headlight.jpg

Cheers

Simon

A very interesting photograph, one of the locomotives on a pre-delivery test perhaps? The clues are 1). The locomotive has had three link couplings added, as built and throughout their working lives they only had buckeye couplings. 2). The buffers are small round ones which were replaced by larger oval ones when in service. 3). It has the single headlight as built and lastly there seems to be a profusion of 'official bowler hats'. One last thing, thats an interesting looking brake van behind the locomotive can anyone give more details please?

One last thing, thats an interesting looking brake van behind the locomotive can anyone give more details please?

No other comment on the loco',but the brakevan is LNWR, a diagram 17B, which I realise that Bill Bedford will be producing a kit for: http://www.mousa.biz/_images/BWK1510.png 

There's a picture of the real thing on the LNWR Society website: http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/brakes/Diag017B.php

Adam

• RMweb Premium

No other comment on the loco',but the brakevan is LNWR, a diagram 17B, which I realise that Bill Bedford will be producing a kit for: http://www.mousa.biz/_images/BWK1510.png 

There's a picture of the real thing on the LNWR Society website: http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/brakes/Diag017B.php

Adam

The first URL comes up as 'not found'.

Gents,

Firstly I apologise for my rather tardy reply. I have been somewhat preoccupied getting Foxcote Manor to the railway and helping to get it into traffic.

I will happily bundle up the bits I have. If people would like to drop me a PM with some contact details then I can happy get it sent off to you.

Simon, that photograph is fantastic. Do you have any details where it came from, or indeed any more material?

Many thanks

Andy H

my website below has links to all my 3D printed items..

Now working out if I could do it for N gauge. Think there is a chassis. Also a 3mm/ft version. Detail such as handrails would be lost.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Gents,

Firstly I apologise for my rather tardy reply. I have been somewhat preoccupied getting Foxcote Manor to the railway and helping to get it into traffic.

I will happily bundle up the bits I have. If people would like to drop me a PM with some contact details then I can happy get it sent off to you.

Simon, that photograph is fantastic. Do you have any details where it came from, or indeed any more material?

Many thanks

Andy H

Hi Andy, thankyou, I'm afraid I can't remember where that particular photo came from, possibly someone in the Luton group, including "Isambarduk" (David LO Smith), who has got loads of stuff if you ask him.

And Simon, that 3D print looks lovely!

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

thanks for compliment. It is basic, but enough for anyone to do a decent model. It has been a loco which I have wanted to model for many years, got forgotten about till I saw the article in BRM. I had started to collect info, and I think there were some early pictures of the model David was building on this forum somewhere. I managed to start the design from those, but then havng the proper dimensions I modified it, then seeing the original drawings. I am sure someone wished those had been published before.

My HO model is now finished, it runs superbly because the Bachmann GE70 chassis is so good. A slow crawl that can make a snail look like a sprinter! No problem with dead frogs or dirty track, and if I really want, I can run it on DCC, but won't as there is no need to do so.

For anyone up this way, I am at the Manchester MRX DCC exhibition in a weeks time. I will have it there, it can even run on my French boxfile layout!

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

... I'm afraid I can't remember where that particular photo came from, possibly someone in the Luton group, including "Isambarduk" (David LO Smith), who has got loads of stuff if you ask him.

Cheers

Simon

It is, indeed, a super photo:

post-7598-0-73293100-1494074760_thumb.jp

but it did not come from me/us at LMRC, as far as I know.   David

The buffers are possibly a bit crude. They are also a week point in the printing, but it is easy to remove and put better ones on. The cost difference between having them on or not is pennies.

I am working on an N gauge version. Again it is basic, but it is easy to remove over scale items such as handrails. Would prefer to do that, as some are happy with that, as they prefer not to do their own. That should fit a Japanese chassis. Also a 3mm/ft version, but not sure about a chassis.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Finding a suitable chassis in 1/76 is why I'm going down the power bogie route. Another advantage is that many American locomotives have 8 foot wheelbase trucks, 28mm in HO which translates to 7 feet in 00.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The buffers are possibly a bit crude. They are also a week point in the printing, but it is easy to remove and put better ones on. The cost difference between having them on or not is pennies.

I am working on an N gauge version. Again it is basic, but it is easy to remove over scale items such as handrails. Would prefer to do that, as some are happy with that, as they prefer not to do their own. That should fit a Japanese chassis. Also a 3mm/ft version, but not sure about a chassis.

Finding a suitable chassis in 1/76 is why I'm going down the power bogie route. Another advantage is that many American locomotives have 8 foot wheelbase trucks, 28mm in HO which translates to 7 feet in 00.

Mine arrived this morning, excellent job. Now to find a suitable chassis or motor bogies.

Any chance of some photos of the raw item Phil?

I'm sorry that I havnt yet got all the Ford info together yet. Work is somewhat mayhem with a visiting GWR Manor and lots of uncovered turns I have hardly been in the office!

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Any chance of some photos of the raw item Phil?

I'm sorry that I havnt yet got all the Ford info together yet. Work is somewhat mayhem with a visiting GWR Manor and lots of uncovered turns I have hardly been in the office!

Andy

Sorry I am not able to supply any photographs but the product is very good with little if any of the rough finish that you get with some 3D printing. The one thing that is less than perfect is that the roof detail which IMHO looks a bit basic. The exhaust is OK but I would have prefered it as a separate item. The radiator top tank looks rather small as does the clerestory above the engine but these can be built up with plasticard. The footboards either side of the roof are a bit basic. On the main part of the body the only thing that needs doing is the radiator, on the prototype this is inset about three inches, on the model it is flush and does not have a great deal of mesh detail. I intended to add some photo-etched mesh to this anyway and that would have involved cutting out the panel anyway and mounting the PE mesh inside. In all a good basic model but I would have prefered the roof details as separate parts to be added on which would be an aid to painting and if they could be printed inside the void of the body could give a slight reduction in production costs. I would have prefered it without buffers, perhaps this could be an option in future?

thanks for the comments. I was originally only working from dimensions picked up from various places, and only saw the original drawings after I had done the design. I did then tweak some parts. Also I was originally designing the model for my own use in HO scale. Some items possibly came out a bit thick. As for the buffers, not including them would have only saved pennies on the cost, and I can guarantee some want them, some don't,   It is not that difficult to remove them. That is possibly the case with other detail. I have erred on the safe side, as making some items thinner, weakens them, and they get broken too easily. That did happen on mine with the buffers, in HO scale, so I beafed them up a bit to make sure it did not happen again.

I am currently waiting for a test print for it in N scale. A lot of small detail is lost, but I have included the handrails, much thicked, and again, some would want to replace them, some would be happy to have a model virtually complete.

I now don't photo models in the raw, as WSF tends to look worse than it actually is, and perpetuates the myths surrounding it by some. One thing that has been observed on some models is that the inside is smoother than the outside. Not sure why.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I am looking for a suitable chassis for the 00 version. The crucial dimension is the bogie centres, on the prototype that is 18 feet, 72 mm in 00 scale. Fortunately the American Bachmann HO scale GE 44-tonner switcher has a BC measurement very near to that. Only problem is that the example that I have is an earlier model with two separate power bogies rather than the more usual central motor/flywheel/cardan shaft arrangement. The later models of the GE has the more usual arrangement so I'm on the lookout for one of those. The prototype has a bogie wheelbase of 7 feet which means that the Bachmann bogies at 24.5 mm will have to be changed, shouldn't be to difficult as there are plenty of 28 mm bogies that I could use. 

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I'm going to order a 1/76 3D print of this loco in the next few days. I intend to fit a couple of 28mm wheelbase motor bogies under it (but not Tenshodo).

Mine arrived this morning, excellent job. Now to find a suitable chassis or motor bogies.

I am looking for a suitable chassis for the 00 version. The crucial dimension is the bogie centres, on the prototype that is 18 feet, 72 mm in 00 scale. Fortunately the American Bachmann HO scale GE 44-tonner switcher has a BC measurement very near to that. Only problem is that the example that I have is an earlier model with two separate power bogies rather than the more usual central motor/flywheel/cardan shaft arrangement. The later models of the GE has the more usual arrangement so I'm on the lookout for one of those. The prototype has a bogie wheelbase of 7 feet which means that the Bachmann bogies at 24.5 mm will have to be changed, shouldn't be to difficult as there are plenty of 28 mm bogies that I could use. 

I've been looking for a suitable chassis still, I've found that the GE 44-tonner is a bit too short. The overall wheelbase (outer axle to outer axle) of the BTH is 25 feet, 100mm in 00 scale. On checking the dimensions of various locomotives I see that many American switcher locomotives have an overall wheelbase of 30 feet which works out at 105mm in HO scale. I fortunately have the chassis from one such locomotive so I offered it up to the 3D printed body and was surprised how well it fitted. If you are willing to overlook the extra 5mm in the wheelbase this seems the way to go. There is no problem with the bogies fouling the steps as looking at the drawings of the BTH locomotive it has what looks like sandboxes on the ends of the bogies which extends them by a few inches. The switcher locomotive that I intend to use the chassis of is the SW-7/SW9/SW12 and SW1200 types models of which are available from various makers such as Atlas, Bachmann and Tycho. Depending on which chassis is used some slight modifications may be required to both body and chassis. On the body a slot will be required in the buffer beam to accomodate the coupling sockets and the chassis might require the removal of some details.

• 10 months later...