For the use of SWAG modular layout contributors

2014 SWAG Module Project

Tigger

• RMweb Gold

I guess the 3' 7" between the layout and the fire doors will be OK, but early drafts of the risk assessment call for you to undertake a fire drill at half hourly intervals, queuing up patiently to exit one by one.... :P  ;)

The fire drill was practiced this year at regular intervals when........................................................................I popped out for a fag  :drag:  

• RMweb Gold

The fire drill was practiced this year at regular intervals when........................................................................I popped out for a fag  :drag:  

cor - even done with smoke effects!

And as long as there's enough space for me  (and others) to stand and play with shunting moves although I was pleasantly (??) surprised to find out today that I've lost the best part of a stone in weight since last autumn, now if I can do that again in the coming year ........

cor - even done with smoke effects!

And as long as there's enough space for me  (and others) to stand and play with shunting moves although I was pleasantly (??) surprised to find out today that I've lost the best part of a stone in weight since last autumn, now if I can do that again in the coming year ........

If you can keep that up Mike we you will be able to play shunting games and we will be able to get the piano in behind you as well :locomotive:

Yes - my only outstanding concern is transitions into/out of the curvature.

I am wondering if it is possible to use the bridges between the modules to act as transitions, needs a bit more thought, but may work

• RMweb Gold

I also built a bit of super-elevation into both my corner units, which probably didn't help.

The problem with that Stu is doing it without easing it out at the end of the curve - which is a bit awkward when you have a continuous curve on the module (hence another reason for talking about a transition).  Maybe not so bad with a 'flat' curve?

This may be a solution

corner.jpg

The dark green area is the 30" x 30" Corner Module and the light blue is the gap between each module.

The main part of the inner curve is 70 deg of 24" radius with 10 deg of appox 36" at each end extending over the edge of the module to make up the bridge. This should allow for  about 8" of transition that we are is looking for.

• 2 weeks later...

The consensus seems to be that we go with Sidecar Racers idea (someone has to take the blame :O ) to have the modules still in a “U” shape but with the modules facing in to the centre. This will give the operators a better view of the trains as this year we were unable to see where the trains were of if they had encountered any problems. The new layout can be viewed  HERE

To achieve this we will need two volunteers (no pressure being applied yet. but you have been warned :triniti: ) to build new corner modules, to guide you on the way we have developed a set of standards which can be found HERE and some new or existing module builders to fill the gaps.

This is a great way to join in and have some fun so give it some thought and let us know  :senile:  :sungum:  :locomotive:

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

OK Tigger, I give in. I've looked at the standards and will commit to producing a corner module as well as a 3 foot one for SWAG14. I plan to use part of the rear of the corner module to provide a small 'fiddle yard' for the 3-footer if thats OK.

All the very best

Godfrey

That sounds fantastic Godfrey, great to have you on board  :sungum:

Just one question, will your corner be on the left or right of your module,  asking so I can bully someone else in to doing the other one  :triniti:

Thanks again

Mike

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Things seem to have gone a bit quiet on here of late, chaps - hope everything is still tickety boo and coming along nicely for April? I'm just in the process of doing the floor plan at the moment, so it would be good to hear that all is well!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I plan to attend this year and I thought it might be helpful to bump this topic after the deafening silence in response to the good Captain's plea above.

Happily, I now have the time and space to actually make something, so I've made a start on not one, but two 4' straight modules. The intention is to have the simpler of the two available for the Members' Day, but I certainly won't be offended if there isn't sufficient space for it.

Basically, I'm trying to get my modelling mojo back and I thought these two modules would be a good way of achieving this. They will be standalone photographic dioramas, but also capable of being linked together as part of a bigger layout. Board 1 shown under construction below.

post-7291-0-03839800-1391681021_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Yes Mike, I have just completed one as promised; I have designed it so that it links with my 3 ft module. Just to save any confusion, it should fit in the right hand top corner (looking at the plan - the corner which doesn't have a radiator on the wall)! I've made it 44" x 44" according to the Corner Module Layout standard but it is made up from two boards bolted together - a single board would not fit in the back of my Octavia estate. One board ( the back one) is 44" x 16" and the other carrying the curved link of track is 44" x 28". The only problem I have had is planning the track links to adjacent modules. The 'Down' line has to have a continuous radius of 24" and so there cannot be any transition and I didn't think two projecting 4" of flexible track on either sides would survive transportation. I am therefore planning to have four 4" lengths of track to link up with the adjacent modules - just the same as the straight modules. Perhaps someone will let me know if I'm being particularly thick! Trevor's module looks beautiful, mine, at present doesn't look nearly so elegant!

best wishes

Godfrey

I plan to attend this year and I thought it might be helpful to bump this topic after the deafening silence in response to the good Captain's plea above.

Happily, I now have the time and space to actually make something, so I've made a start on not one, but two 4' straight modules. The intention is to have the simpler of the two available for the Members' Day, but I certainly won't be offended if there isn't sufficient space for it.

Basically, I'm trying to get my modelling mojo back and I thought these two modules would be a good way of achieving this. They will be standalone photographic dioramas, but also capable of being linked together as part of a bigger layout. Board 1 shown under construction below.

attachicon.gifDT12125LE.jpg

Trevor, that looks to be a proper job,

PB

• RMweb Gold

Trevor, that looks to be a proper job,

PB

Thanks. At one time I earned a living by woodworking so I should be reasonably capable. However, lack of space has meant I'm out of recent practice, so I'm not yet up to the standards of Gordon S and Eastwood Town!

Just for the record, the construction technique was inspired by Barry Norman's methods, as demonstrated in Right Track 5.

• RMweb Gold

Dear All involved with the module project for 2013,

Mike (Sidecarracer) has been trying to contact our friend Mike/Tigger for a while, but we haven't heard anything. In order to safeguard the provision of a modular layout display this coming April, we have asked Mike R (Stationmaster) if he would kindly take on the role of Herr Modulemeister, and Mike has kindly agreed to do this, although he has graciously said he would take a step back, should Mike/Tigger be in a position to resume this role.

(Hope all is well with you, Mike/Tigger).

So, I will leave it to Mr Stationmaster to bring you all together for another day of Modular Merriment on 27/4/14!

Thank you all.

PS. You don't have to be called Mike to be involved in the modular layout!

Archived