Top of the Yard

Parthia27

I thought I would share some photographs I took of Top of the Yard, the minimum space HO switching layout I took to TVNAM last weekend. The whole caboodle is squeezed into an area of 900 x 300mm and is fed by a small traverser from the left hand side which can handle a single 50' car and a GP15-1 or SW1500. All track is Micro Engineering Code 70, the switches are operated manually, frog polarity is managed by Frog Juicers and control is provided by an NCE Powercab. All locos and cars are fitted with NWSL or Kadee Code 88 wheels and #58 couplers (soon to be replaced by Sergeant couplers). The layout depicts the top of a small ex Frisco yard in the early '80s (with the exception of the switch throws and Portaloo which are of more recent vintage but which were all I had in stock prior to the show). The majority of the stock is fitted with cosmetic air lines and coupler cut bars. The buildings and structures are mainly BLMA with some miscellaneous bits and some small scratch-built details added here and there. Most of the scenery uses Woodland Scenic and Heiki materials and features my first attempt at laying static grass. Despite it's diminutive size, the layout has been nearly 18 months in the making and was started as a 'small' and manageable project to amuse me whilst recovering from a serious illness. Please forgive my crude photography skills, all photos were taken using my iPhone.

My intention is to expand the layout and effectively double it's size to 1800 x 300mm and move the location to Northern California or Oregon so that I can also run my SP stock whilst maintaining a BN presence. If I make it sufficiently different Nick may also accept it at TVNAM in 2014  :blinkclear:

post-61-0-23125800-1371764677_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-97443700-1371764707_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-31016600-1371764732_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-79383200-1371764657_thumb.jpg

Cheers

Chris M

A great little layout Chris, a pleasure to exhibit next to you. Forgot to ask, did you bring the track/turnouts back with you or did you order them online. I couldn't get hold of ME turnouts when I built NW 22nd St. out of stock even with ME.

Regards

I liked it at TVNAM, a nice consistent level of weathering and colour on the layout and stock. Only criticism was that it was a little low sitting on the table, although it did allow the wheelchair users and small boys to see it.

If you're looking to offload the #58 Kadees let me know!

Thanks for the comments guys.

Dave - the turnouts for this layout and it's extension were bought into the UK on my last trip from the states, I have also imported ME track and turnouts from MB Klein recently,the freight charges were not too bad, but the customs and handling charge levied by the Royal Mail made the economics of this option marginal.

Tim - on reflection it would have been better to present the layout to give viewers a high level perspective. At home it sits on a 60' high shelf above my workbench and bookcase, so it is literally at eye level. You are welcome to have first refusal on the #58s, though please be aware that they have been weathered previously (still work fine though).

Tonight I have been playing round with a plan for the extended version of the layout and have come up with this which measures 1800mm x 300mm:

post-61-0-52768900-1371852137_thumb.jpg

/\ FRONT /\

The middle track will be fed from a short fiddle yard to the left of the layout. There will be no "on-line" industries. A derelict feed mill will be located at the rear left. The sidings will be used for car storage between trips to and from local industries. More to follow.

TTFN

Chris

Cheers Chris. I'll check out Klein's. I am a fan of the Shinoharas but they're a pain to convert for dcc with their metallic tiebar. You've rekindled a similar plan for a no industry partial yard layout I had for a Conrail shared assets layout, still can't put the right track plans together for it though.

A potential prototype for what you're thinking about is Buttonwillow, CA. If you check the track plan on Google maps, it's pretty similar to what you have. It is currently San Joaquin Valley Railroad, ex-SP, the terminus of the branch that formerly went to McKittrick. The main industry is cotton, though no longer rail served -- there's an active fuel distributor.

post-8839-0-15696100-1371910263.jpg

post-8839-0-31056200-1371910320.jpg

post-8839-0-10725500-1371910357.jpg

Hi Guys,

Been out all day in Nottingham shopping with the boss - penance for last weekend.

Phil, yes I have been more productive of late - really enjoying getting stuck in when I can, just don't get enough opportunities.

Dave, yes I too like Shinohara turnouts but they are a real pain to have to modify when using DCC. Have a look at Google maps or Bing in the New Jersey, Detroit or other shared assets areas. One day I would like to model a loco terminal and a partial representation of a turning triangle. Perhaps a spur with some MOW cars being held on a curve disappearing behind a derelict building with some tracks at the front to hold a consist of GP38-2s or other typical road switchers. This gives you a rough idea, 1800 x 600mm in HO, served by 4 track traverser to the right:

post-61-0-24015800-1371927840_thumb.jpg

Jack - many thanks, I'm in two minds as to whether I should keep Top of the Yard in it's current format and start anew with the Junction Yard, it would probably be easier and allow me to correct a few niggles with the configuration of Top of the Yard, same plan just a few tweeks.

JWB - mmmm, very nice, thanks for sharing.

Anyway off to repair a boxcar which lost a stirrup last weekend and experiment with some Sergeant Couplers.

Cheers

Chris 

Nice little plan that. I would love to model some part of Browns Yard, in Parlin NJ. It still has a whole host of ex-PRR overhead catenary masts and cables that would be great to model. All that works the yard now are EMDs even most of the remaining NS/CSXT 45-2's work out of Browns along with SD40-2s and GP38-2&40-2s. Having a blue Connie unit and NS and CSXT loco consist prototypically just hits the spot for me!

Enjoy the sergents. I might try the fixed rake dummy couplers too, good price if you keep consist sets together.

Regards

I found this film of a mixed freight (WPOI- 16) from Oak Island to Brown's Yard.

What's interesting is that the camera lingers on the train formation itself so you can see the make up of it.

Is this near Cheesequake?

Best, Pete.

Now got through!

This looks good, I thought, a Diner next to the yard - D'oh, it's the yard office! Thanks.

I did find a few on Rrp that purported to be of Brown's Yard but they could have been taken anywhere in NJ....

Best, Pete.

Dave, I amended my earlier message, many thanks!

I dunno how I missed that thread on Railroad.net!

Btw do you know how I would find out the freight timetable for Sundays at Three Bridges, NJ? This type of thing is a real mystery to me (only me, apparently) but I know that there is often an interchange between NS and BR on Sundays.....so two different things thru freight at Three Bridges and then Interchange freight.

You are a great help!

Best, Pete.

Pete

Not sure about Three bridges, I've been working my way down the freehold secondary/industrial line. But I suspect a post on the Jersey forum on railroad.net will get you an answer, I've seen lots of requests for timings, loads of railroad staff on there.

I have been spending some time over the last few evenings scouring the web looking for photos of small BN and SP Yards which I could use to provide some inspiration for the extended version of Top of the Yard.

One location which has immediately grabbed me was Brownsville Texas, the most southerly spot on the SP empire, and having just the right amount of secondary railroad feel about it to make it feasible in a compressed scheme. The following shots from the 80's just ooze atmosphere:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1849801

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictures/17298/SP3802-870310%20Brownsville,%20TX%20GP9.jpg

SP3338 6514-870310 Brewnsville, TX GP9 GP35.jpg

sp-3361-bve-tx-feb-20-19801.jpg

I'm off to look at google maps now to try to pinpoint the location where these shot were taken if it can still be found. More to follow.

TTFN

Chris

Small yards are getting harder and harder to find. There are two not far from downtown Los Angeles, J Yard on the Union Pacific ex-SP:

post-8839-0-01203100-1372521096.jpg

post-8839-0-89926400-1372521132.jpg

And Malabar Yard on BNSF:

post-8839-0-80351000-1372521218.jpg

post-8839-0-08435800-1372521315.jpg

Malabar has the magnificent advantage of being bordered by the Pabco Paper plant, which is not exactly your Lance Mindheim shoebox knockoff:

post-8839-0-96242700-1372521528.jpg

Dear JWB,

Yep, still have a few ideas for a J-Yard-esque shelf/show layout running SW1500s (SP era) or 1500s+MP15+gensets+GP15-1s (UPY era),

showing a piece of the LA River channel...
(picked up the Walthers HT Transmission Towers kit as an incentive to get into it...)

Should be do-able, but sooo many other layout projects stand in the way first... :-( :-)

Happy Modelling,
Aim to Improve,
Prof Klyzlr

JWB - thanks for the images of J Yard, one day I'll need to produce a layout based on that location (I already have the UP power).

After doing lots of tweaking I think the following plan is the best I can come up with for the extended version of Top of the Yard

post-61-0-46352400-1372628765_thumb.jpg

The rear and front tracks will be fed from the left by a 1200mm x 300mm Staging Yard, the rear track will be replaced with an odd piece of ME Code 55 which I have in stock, and the short siding on the middle track will be used to hold a Caboose. The entrance to the scenic section will be disguised by a road bridge. I'm going to use a suitable structure to balance the rear of the layout. Not sure whether this will be on or off line though.

The total size of the scenic section will now be a 1800mm x 300mm made up of two 900mm x 300mm boards, the total footprint of the layout will be 2000mm x 300mm. I'm also going to take the opportunity to make a suitable set of legs to make it self standing for the purposes of exhibition. It won't be an empire, but will be more than enough to keep me busy.  :) The wood arrived yesterday so I have no excuse to delay any further! Updates to follow........

TTFN

Chris

Archived