Top of the Yard

Parthia27

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, after a few weeks of deliberating and procrastinating I have finally built up a head of steam and started to build the board for the extension to Top of the Yard.

The final plan including extension is to be this:

post-61-0-63874700-1373919312_thumb.jpg

The extended layout will be 1800 mm x 300 mm and will be fed by a 600 mm fiddle yard fro the right.

The layout, including fiddle-yard, will be 2400 mm long and will fit nicely on the shelf above my untidy workbench and Mrs Parthia's even more untidy bookshelves. It's intended home is show in the following photo:

post-61-0-33316200-1373920340_thumb.jpg

I decided early on when building the layout that I needed to construct the boards in as simple a way as possible, so having raided my stock of 12mm Birch Plywood and 900mm dimensional pine I proceeded with the aid of my Chop-saw, Engineers Square, Pencil, Clamps and Gorilla Glue to produce this:

post-61-0-61964100-1373918035_thumb.jpg

post-61-0-42839500-1373918048_thumb.jpg

Despite the illusion suggested by the second shot, I can assure you that the board is 100% square in every dimension :-).

Tomorrow's task will be to face the board edges in 3mm Birch ply ready for painting on Wednesday. Then it will be time to take the end board, back-scene and pelmet off the original board, offer the new board up to it, and fit suitcase connectors or similar to provide a simple mechanical connection. Then I will lay the track, wire it all up and give it a good test for a few days before weathering the track with the Airbrush and fitting a back-scene and end board to the extension. 

I'll give a further update when there is more to show.

TTFN

Chris

Untidy workbench? I can see more than 4sq" of work surface, that surely doesn't qualify. Looking forward to the stock increase?

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

LOL, I'm pretty clumsy so an uncluttered workbench is a must for me, I need loads of elbow room and learnt my lesson a year ago after nudging my soldering iron into a Frisco GP38-2 plastic bodyshell :O

What you can't see are the temperature controlled soldering iron, milling machine and my spray booth which are currently on the floor and are moved into place only after I clear a space. My cunning plan is to persuade Mrs P that she needs to move her bookcase into a spare corner we have in the lounge, then I can have a whole 8' of fettling space.

Wrt stock, yes it will be great to have an operating session with more than 1 loco and 4 cars. I have about 6 new cars, a Frisco GP15 and a BN SW1500 to detail for the BN version of the extended layout. Then I will have similar sized SP and UP rosters to complete! Oh and a sound conversion for Mr Pallette, and 2 x BR Blue Cromptons to spray and number for someone else. I need to get modelling!

Cheers

Chris 

Ok, no updates for a few days but progress is being made. The board for the scenic extension is now finished, will start to paint the facia tomorrow. In the meantime I've decided to construct a new board for the fiddle yard. For the first time in what seems ages we have an overcast sky today, lovely temperature though, so it was ideal conditions to get out and cut the top and frame for a 600 x 300 mm fiddle yard board. The first part of the frame is now glued and clamped to the top board waiting to dry. I'm going to give it a few hours, even though the relatively high temperature will accelerate the curing time. Will then clamp up the next bit and so on until finished. Next stage will be to apply the plywood trim and voila, a complete set of boards, I've decided to use case catches to hold the boards together. The only material I am waiting for is some 900 x 300 x4 mm Birch Ply for the backscene, thought initially I could get away with 3mm ply but it is too flimsy. Anyway off to do a bit more......

TTFN

Chris

You haven't forgotten then! ;) :)

Seriously, though - no desparate rush. I'm tied up with a Freemo module in CP guise at the moment....

Hi Nick,

It is on the list and will get done once the layout extension has had track put on it and I've put it up on the shelf with the original layout for testing. The whole area round my workbench is awash with woodworking stuff. I try not to do any work on rolling stock when I'm in the middle of scenic or woodworking projects. I think end August looks like a reasonable timescale to aim for. Is that ok for you?  :O  :O .

Cheers

ChrisM

Archived