Heljan 47 chassis expansion-can anyone beat my model?!

Lochnagar

Apologies if I've posted this in the incorrect section, feel free to move etc. 

Firstly, I don't want to start a debate about this known Heljan 47 problem, as it's being sorted out by Howes, but just wondered if anyone had any experience of their loco fairing worse than mine? I've seen quite a few of these crack the body corners but nothing resembling the damage here, it's the worst one I've seen with approx 1 cm of growth. To the best of my knowledge, the expanding chassis is due to an impure 'Masak' metal mix, which continues to decay and crack, and will eventually fall apart. 

The good folks at Howes have agreed to send me a brand new chassis in its entirety, but alas no more bodies are available. This isn't the end of the world as I can source one pretty cheaply now from ebay or on here. Fixing this one is out of the question as it's been irreparably stretched, and has warped in most directions. 

post-9660-0-65660200-1373280585_thumb.jpg

Not a nice sight! More worrying is the fact that this looks like a very recent model - the Rails limited edition from December 2010? This may to point to another outbreak of chassis rot in class 47's or did Heljan and/or their suppliers slip in a few old chassis castings into the supply chain?

Edited thanks to not engaging brain!

Better start checking my Heljan loco's - maybe my Hornby and Bachman as well.....or why worry as they only cost an average of £70 and can easily be replaced with a new model which in turn can be replaced in a few years time when that fails.

• RMweb Premium

Having read this thread, I rather worriedly checked all of my HJ 47s (I have a few, of varying ages) and found them all to be OK. They're kept in a part of my house which doesn't suffer from any temperature extremes - could this have any relevance or am I just lucky (for now)?

Colin, the problem is caused by impurities in the metal - how you store them is not a factor. I think the earlier posts have identified the locos which are susceptible. In my case it was GSYP D1734 for which Howes supplied me with a replacement chassis. I still store my Heljan 47's with bodies separated from chassis...........just in case.

Graham

• 1 year later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Apologies if I've posted this in the incorrect section, feel free to move etc. 

Firstly, I don't want to start a debate about this known Heljan 47 problem, as it's being sorted out by Howes, but just wondered if anyone had any experience of their loco fairing worse than mine? I've seen quite a few of these crack the body corners but nothing resembling the damage here, it's the worst one I've seen with approx 1 cm of growth. To the best of my knowledge, the expanding chassis is due to an impure 'Masak' metal mix, which continues to decay and crack, and will eventually fall apart. 

The good folks at Howes have agreed to send me a brand new chassis in its entirety, but alas no more bodies are available. This isn't the end of the world as I can source one pretty cheaply now from ebay or on here. Fixing this one is out of the question as it's been irreparably stretched, and has warped in most directions. 

attachicon.gifIMG_0355.jpg

I think that is an impressive amount of growth there,

I actually think you could repair the body, I could at least , That is if its broke clean through the yellow areas. Just glue it back neatly with poly cement, Then get yourself some MrSurfacer 500 and apply 2 layers with a cock tail stick, Then flat back with some Mylar padded files from Little Cars, Then mask off the yellow areas prime lightly with some Humbrol 64 grey from a spray can, Then spray your yellow, Try and do this so you can blend an very small area of the existing yellow, Then give it a spray over with Humbrol Satin Varnish from a rattle can and you should be back in Business.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs just trying to help ;)

Someone was selling one like this on ebay for "spares or repair". If I recall correctly it wasn't that cheap either. Model was 47826 springburn in intercity. Not a bargain me thinks... Wouldn't have thought either chassis or body good for anything...

M

I think that is an impressive amount of growth there,

I actually think you could repair the body, I could at least , That is if its broke clean through the yellow areas. Just glue it back neatly with poly cement, Then get yourself some MrSurfacer 500 and apply 2 layers with a cock tail stick, Then flat back with some Mylar padded files from Little Cars, Then mask off the yellow areas prime lightly with some Humbrol 64 grey from a spray can, Then spray your yellow, Try and do this so you can blend an very small area of the existing yellow, Then give it a spray over with Humbrol Satin Varnish from a rattle can and you should be back in Business.

Not trying to teach you to suck eggs just trying to help ;)

Believe it or not, I did actually fix this one. The chassis was obviously stripped of useable parts and then sent off to Howes for replacement (brand new RTR chassis in return for your old knackered bare block) which is pretty good. As long as you provide some sort of receipt between £50-90 with it.

Anyhow, I couldn't find another 47145 body, so I repaired it. The breaks were pretty clean and only required a partial repaint which was blended in with a bit of weathering. Unless you looked REALLY hard, you couldn't tell! Obviously not worth the aggro if you've got another body lying around, but my customer wanted 47145.

Good to know you saved it. It's such a shame that these locos had these problems. I love the Heljan 47 but sold mine off in case it ever happened.

I just hope the problem is a thing of the past as I have just bought into Heljan with my first 0 gauge loco in the form

Of a class 40... I could not resist a giant whistling giant :)

Colin, the problem is caused by impurities in the metal - how you store them is not a factor. I think the earlier posts have identified the locos which are susceptible. In my case it was GSYP D1734 for which Howes supplied me with a replacement chassis. I still store my Heljan 47's with bodies separated from chassis...........just in case.

Graham

You can accelerate the process by placing it in a fridge and spraying water onto it daily. 1 month would equate to about 2 years.

Archived