Simond

Simon

I agree that Tre Pol & Pen looks great.  I exchanged emails with David Andrews the other day and he says he will probably do a short run of Dukedogs in mid-21018.  I put my name down for one.

I need a local Gauge O club - too bad there isn't one within at least 250 km and even then it would be Continental!

Paul

Thanks guys,

The 28 is sort-of scratchbuilt. It started out as my son’s first loco (well, not counting the quasi-freelance “Mavis” on an Atlas chassis) but he found football, so I built it myself. It has a plasticard tender running on PCB frames with sprung split axles for pick-up. Not sure where the castings came from, probably the bits box, or Warren Shepherd. I turned the dome from a bit of scrap plastic. The loco has n/s frames, Hobby Holiday horns, Premier rods, ABC gearbox & Canon motor, Slaters wheels. I fretted out the upper works from sheet brass, but chickened out and bought one of Warren’s etches for the (Hall) boiler & firebox, I soldered extensions onto the firebox to reach down to the footplate. I think I also used his pressings for the smokebox door & rim too, and I’d have bought the Martello castings, slidebars etc., from him as well. I think it has an ESU decoder.

It’s weathered “very grubby”, but of course, not BR-grubby, and I’m really fond of it, I guess because it’s scratch.

I reckon it would have shifted a bit more - maybe I’ll try next time there’s an open day. As it was, that train took up two roads of the fiddle yard.

The Dukedog is my most recent build, the story featured intermittently on the “What’s on my workbench” thread on WT. the most recent post is here http://www.westernthunder.co.uk/index.php?threads/whats-on-your-workbench.3804/page-72#post-161314.

It was a wee bit challenging in terms of getting the haulage capacity up, and the result is a testament to springs in place of equalisation. I had originally intended to equalise the driving wheels with a pair of rocking beams between the axle bearings, and use the bogie pivot as the third leg of the stool, but I cocked it up. I fitted hornblocks and springs, which was a happy result of my mistake, as with the body off, the chassis rocks about the lead axle, effectively a significant percentage of the weight that the bogie would support, is actually applied to the lead drivers by very stiff springs. It’s also packed with lead, the loco weighs around 350g, and hauls 5 coaches up a 1in 100 grade without difficulty.

She’s pretty much finished, needs coal, buffer beam numbers, a replacement for the small whistle which somehow got knocked off on Saturday, the fireiron rest needs painting, and some fire irons, and it needs a wee bit more weathering. It was built from a Gladiator / Javelin kit, with one of Warren’s tenders. The 3500 tender that came with the kit will be used with my forthcoming 43/63/93xx when I get round to it. I think the Duchess will be the next loco project, though it would be nice to get on with the Garratt too. Decisions, decisions...

Best

Simon

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I may have mentioned a “coach challenge” somewhere. The FHMRC have been asked to show their layout at the Ashford club show at Tenterden in a few weeks time and I’ve been invited to bring some trains...

Whilst I have a load of freight stock the request was passenger, so the toplights and other coaches that have occasionally made some fitful progress on here have been under a concerted attack.

I resprayed the ones that were too pale. They’re probably too yellow now, but no going back. I then lined the droplights and bolections with the Bob Moore lining pen, and when that was dry, I filled in with a small brush. It’s not too bad, but museum quality it ain’t.

I’d built plasticard interiors for them some years (like 8 years) back, I sprayed them gloss brown, and did the upholstery in red, green or blue, depending on the class of the compartment. I’ve not lit these coaches, so there’s not a lot of point in going into much detail.

Roofs were made, the two 57’ coaches have wooden roofs covered with cartridge paper. The 70’ D48 has a brass roof. All now fitted with ventilators, and rain strips on the short ones. Not sure about the longer one, I assume it had them too, will have to check, and add if required. Water tank is a rectangle of card, with two circles of card to represent the filler. All painted in Halfords grey primer.

Then windows. I’ve used some kind of plastic packaging. No idea what the plastic is, but it’s transparent, anout 20thou thick,and pretty much flat. Cut to size, stuck in with Wilko equivalent of evo stik.

Corridor handrails, plated brass wire (or maybe n/s) 0.7mm, same glue.

Then commode handles. Options - Slaters lwb at about 50p each (and three toplights would need 44...) or make them. They have to look regular, so the newly purchased Proxxon MF70 mill got used in anger. The jig is a bit of Tufnol, two 0.7 holes drilled at 3.8mm spacing to suit the coaches, then the top of the block milled away 2mm to leave an “island” sticking up adjacent to the holes. Slot milled to intersect with the upper hole. The corners of the “island” were rounded off with a file, and the job’s jobbed.

Bend end over of bit of 0.5mm brass wire, stick it in the remaining hole, pull it round the island, and bend down the slot in the edge. With thumbnail firmly holding it at the back, use fine nose pliers to form the final bend into the slot. Pull off jig, trim upper pin to length, repeat. Fitted into predrillied holes, secure with same glue. 14 fitted, 30 to go...

Then fit the T handles, they come in packs of twenty, and I have a couple of packs, so that’s ok. Job for one evening as I’ve had enough today.

post-20369-0-89061000-1517170540_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-83384900-1517170563_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-99539600-1517170584_thumb.jpeg

Then I have to do the transfers, and the end handrails, and I’ll call them finished.

Should just about make it!

Best

Simon

• Like 7

Hi Simon,

I note that you've used the Bob Moore lining pen, I have a similar one which I haven't used in anger yet ( in fact it's still in the box ! ).

It is suggested that if enamels are used neat then priming the nib with lighter fuel is is a useful way to begin lining.

May I ask what paint / method you used and do you have any tips when using one.

Kind regards

Grahame

Grahame

About fifteen years back, I built, painted & lined a Hall. Well proud.

Tried to do it with my Castle & King, and ended up with Warren painting them, because I simply couldn’t make it happen. Don’t know if I lost patience, or lost the knack. I must have tried to line the Castle tender about five times before I gave up.

So I’m probably not the right guy to ask...

But turning to the matter in hand. The bolections and droplights were reasonably easy because they are “self guiding” in the sense that there is an edge up to which I wanted to paint. I used a well used pot of humbrol, that has certainly had thinners added, and I splashed in a drop or two of the lighter petrol, and it worked pretty well. I was able to fill in later using a brush, and that went pretty well, but with 50 or 60 to do, there were some grumpy moments.

The gold lining on the waistline was another matter entirely, didn’t come out at all well, so went for yellow, and even that’s a tad patchy.

Frankly, I’ve come to the conclusion that detail painting’s not my strong point. And if I never build another coach...

But here’s the Hall in all her glory

post-20369-0-86044400-1517176131_thumb.jpeg

(No, the cab is upright, it’s the iphone camera that gives it the weird angle!)

Best

Simon

• Like 4

Thank you Simon it's much appreciated.

I'm gearing myself up for two future coach builds, Slaters kits, GWR ( what else ! ) and having purchased a Warren Shepard Dean Goods at the Bristol show today I may want to back date it to an early period when they were lined out and very elegant in my eyes hence the question.

Don't hold your breath yet though !

All the best

Grahame

• Like 3

Grahame

About fifteen years back, I built, painted & lined a Hall. Well proud.

Tried to do it with my Castle & King, and ended up with Warren painting them, because I simply couldn’t make it happen. Don’t know if I lost patience, or lost the knack. I must have tried to line the Castle tender about five times before I gave up.

So I’m probably not the right guy to ask...

But turning to the matter in hand. The bolections and droplights were reasonably easy because they are “self guiding” in the sense that there is an edge up to which I wanted to paint. I used a well used pot of humbrol, that has certainly had thinners added, and I splashed in a drop or two of the lighter petrol, and it worked pretty well. I was able to fill in later using a brush, and that went pretty well, but with 50 or 60 to do, there were some grumpy moments.

The gold lining on the waistline was another matter entirely, didn’t come out at all well, so went for yellow, and even that’s a tad patchy.

Frankly, I’ve come to the conclusion that detail painting’s not my strong point. And if I never build another coach...

But here’s the Hall in all her glory

attachicon.gif899E1462-AB28-4078-9287-8197BD4FBF2C.jpeg

(No, the cab is upright, it’s the iphone camera that gives it the weird angle!)

Best

Simon

Apple rubbish.

Apple rubbish.

Oy! I resemble that remark !!! :))

No windows in my house ! :)

p.s. This was taken at the show today on my older iPhone and it ain't too bad really....

post-20303-0-26103200-1517182269_thumb.jpeg

Delicious model but don't think I'll be getting one unless I win this weeks lottery !

Grahame

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after golden Dean Goods, back to the gritty reality...

It was my birthday two Saturdays back. The kids asked what I’d like, and then blagged MrsD into buying it for me. A Hattons warwell, in GW loan livery. Why am I telling you this now? Because it’s taken over two weeks to get from Widnes to Kent. To be fair, whilstmost people could walk 300 mile in two weeks, the only culpability Hattons have in the matter is using Yodel, who are not helpful, and incapable of delivering to a different address than that originally specified, despite Hattons informing them three times to do so. When the wagon was finally returned to them, they redespatched and it arrived at my office within 21 hours, via the Post Office.

The wagon is very nice. I understand from correspondence on the other channel that the bogie sideframes are a bit too far inboard, but it’s not causing me any loss of sleep. It’s bloomin’ heavy too. Much as I’m pleased with the Darstaedt crocodile, this is definitely a higher class of model, at a slightly higher price to be fair. I might well get another. One day...

There’s no photo, because it looks exactly like the photos Hattons have publicised.

And the coaches are coming on. I now have 6 functional, glazed toplights with working couplings, corridor connectors, appropriate roof vents, door handles, handrails, commode handles, undergear, etc. Three of them are still shy of transfers. Additionally I have a restaurant car and an ocean mails van that I purchased, and a scratchbuilt 70’ outside frame van, giving me a 9 coach train, of which 7 are 57’, and two 70’. And it all rolls! And if it needs it, I can add a siphon or monster...

And I’ve started painting the 60 odd figures I got from eBay to populate the train.

Photos soon...

Best

Simon

Edited by Simond
  • Like 9

Well, had enough of coaches. Put them away and had another look at the wagons. I’d previously commented on the Darstaedt Crocodile, that it was too high, and I’d addressed that by milling the rim and about half a mm off the top of the bolster. You can see this in the photo below.

Looking at Tourret, the measurements tie up pretty well with a Crocodile H, there are some nice photos on page 110, and these show two or three other areas for improvement. The buffers should be oval, but it’s reported that they were changed from time to time, so I’ll not worry about that. There’s no “H” after the “Crocodile” and there’s no number, so that’s a job to do, and the other point is that the photos all show spoked wheels, (and that bright steel is not appropriate!) and the model is supplied with 3-hole discs, so I changed them.

I discovered that it is possible to get the axles out of the bogie without too much of a fight (I did the machining with them in) - the wheels appear to be Slaters, or very similar, but the axles are marginally longer. I stripped them out, blacked both the supplied wheels, and a couple of pairs of 8-spoke wheels, and swapped the axles before putting them back in.

I’ll have a look and see what I’ve got in the transfers pile next.

The one area that’s a tad tedious is the DC brake handles, which are moulded onto the sides of the girders, in the right place, but not at a believable angle. Options are paint them grey (see caption under upper photo in the book) or replace them with some brass or plastic ones. If I decide on the latter I’ll have to get some at Kettering if I don’t have any.

post-20369-0-87812500-1518287004_thumb.jpeg

post-20369-0-60071600-1518287048_thumb.jpeg

(Copyright Tourret - photo for info)

post-20369-0-69522500-1518287069_thumb.jpeg

Best

Simon

• Like 6

Little bit of detail for the layout - couple of Ragstone water columns.

Need to find some suitable bootlace, and chain, and a lick of paint. I’m going to put some brickwork around the bases, and add a couple of fire devils, and some piles of ash, probably when the rest of that area gets “scenicified”.

post-20369-0-11967800-1518476125_thumb.jpeg

Kits went together quite well, but the flash in the top of the column was a bit of a pita. I broke through the side of the boss on the top of one of them whilst drilling it out, so replaced it with a couple of mm of brass tube. Soldered the bracing wires, cyano for the bracing rods in their sockets, 5-minute epoxy for the bases and the arm onto the ball.

I have also to add the latch rods, and replace the latch handle that broke off trying to clean the flash out of the top of the column. Did I mention that there was some difficult flash...?

I reckon they look the part. I wonder if there shouldn’t be more than two cranes. Comments and advice welcome.

Best

Simon

• Like 9

Look very good Simon, pity to paint them !

Flash seems to be an inherent problem with castings but you've cleaned them up well and with no loss of detail.

Grahame

• Like 1

Simon

I agree with two columns being sufficient. Though my thoughts are based on LMS practice, the so called “cafeteria system” which moved locos through a set chain of events.

It may seem odd, but the shed at Penmaenpool had no water column even though a small Cambrian tank existed. No precise reason has been found for this but it means that locos had to be topped up either at Barmouth or Dolgelley prior to laying over at the shed. It s possible that some system existed inside the shed itself for topping up but there is no evidence that this was the case.

Paul

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions, much appreciated.

Picking up on Paul’s comment, “I agree with two columns being sufficient. Though my thoughts are based on LMS practice, the so called “cafeteria system” which moved locos through a set chain of events.”, the logical sequence would be that a train arrives at the terminus, and the loco is released. It would then reverse to the shed where it would drop or clean the fire, coal up, be turned, and return to duty or go on shed. Taking water is, due to the layout, normally going to happen as the loco goes on shed, or just before returning to duty.

I’m not sure how long it would take to get from the arrival to the shed, and I wondered whether a third column, at the entrance, might be appropriate, however, it could potentially block up the whole shed, so I guess not. I suppose there would be columns at the station, though I don’t recall seeing them on photos of termini - must go looking...

Realised I forgot to fit the vents - grrr.

Thanks again,

Simon

Hadn’t clicked that the vent removed the need for a devil. It makes sense, if the bag would “stick closed” and not drain the “jib”.

Indeed, it appears that the only one with both a devil and a vent is Didcot, and leaving the rather colourful paint job aside (is that really prototypical ???) it may well be that the devil has been kept as a display item even though it is not really necessary if the jib is vented

Further photo searches indicated

A vent introduction year would be most helpful!

Best

Simon

Hadn’t clicked that the vent removed the need for a devil. It makes sense, if the bag would “stick closed” and not drain the “jib”.

Indeed, it appears that the only one with both a devil and a vent is Didcot, and leaving the rather colourful paint job aside (is that really prototypical ???) it may well be that the devil has been kept as a display item even though it is not really necessary if the jib is vented

Best

Simon

Best

Simon

• Like 1

Best

Simon

Best

Simon

Best

Simon

G...G...Granville !  :jester:

Sorry 

Hadn’t clicked that the vent removed the need for a devil.

Probably, but it didn't necessarily mean the removal of the devil. There are pics showing both vents and devils, albeit the latter may have fallen into disuse. It's not clear when jib vents started to be fitted.