Boxchester - Southern Region 1982

SouthernBlue80s

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/93029-boxchester-complete/

(The above is an update link with pictures)

I also wrote a small story about the place...to set the scene in my mind.

Rochester goods yard was inspiration. Although it looks nothing like it :)

Boxchester goods sidings and stabling point

A southern region yard, depicted in 1982. Despite being a shadow of its former self when the line that went all the way down to the harbour closed in 1976, it still sees a bit of activity. Classes 09,33 and 73 are the usual visitors. Occasionally a class 47 makes an appearance.

Various mixed goods a little parcel traffic and some permanent way trains use the yard

The stabling/fuel point closed in 1996 post nationalisation but the yard, often with a track tamper or few permanent way wagons continued up to 2000.

The whole area became totally derelict and was turned into a housing estate in 2004. Various brown paper envelopes changed hands and quite pleasant overpriced housing of middling construction quality now occupies the site.

A few of the permanent way team work for Network rail and remember the yard well. Many of the drivers have passed away but the odd one or two are still to be found in a cab of a 66.

I like your fictional but believable history behind the layout/yard. Sadly, getting redeveloped into modern housing estates or supermarkets is what normally happens to these small goods yards when they fall out of use.

The photos really do look like a old disused railway yard on the brink of closure, so you have captivated the atmosphere very well.

Sam

Looks very good to me!

One suggestion though, may be worth adding a fence (concrete panels) or hedge or combination along the back in front of the backscene.

Totaly agree. I need to blend the foreground into the back scene more, which I will do. A new back scene is on its way. Because I messed up the first attempt. Looks OK in the pictures but not so good in reality.

It is not finished yet, as I have just begun to put the detail into the area closest to the camera and have further detail to get stuck into.

Thanks for the comments everyone :)

A few more pictures, pics are bit blury as on a camera phone at night time. But it gives you a feel for the way it is heading

As I say no where near finished.

I am trying scratch build a goods shed!!!

A new better backscene is coming

Hedges and SR concreate fencing to get the layout to blend into the scene

Also the 33 needs weathering.

Once I get it to the next stage I will post a few more pics.

Was going to convert the Bachmann 08021 into an 09 but now having second thoughts as I think it might be a bit beyond me!

IMAG0351_zps8ae20775.jpg

IMAG0352_zpse8d9d91f.jpg

IMAG0349_zps070b2cdc.jpg

IMAG0355_zps0caa64c9.jpg

IMAG0356_zps29dde2ce.jpg

OK

I have changed the back scene and tweaked a few things. The backscene allready looks better, even with out blending it in fully to the foreground.

I have longer dry static grass to go on, hedges to blend it into the backscene and also a scalescenes building I want on it. And all sorts of detail I want to add.

So once that is complete  I will concentrated on the stock.

A few more pics showing the current state of play. The overall layout and a few areas which I have begun to detail.

P1000402_zps5fd38289.jpg

P1000401_zpsc6d7ee0e.jpg

P1000404_zps73614f66.jpg

P1000403_zps4cf17a5b.jpg

P1000407_zps127ac631.jpg

P1000408_zps544059cb.jpg

P1000406_zpsa574c557.jpg

P1000405_zpsc76a2a22.jpg

Thanks guys. It is nice to get encouragement...seeing as it is my first attempt at this.

Sorry also about the bad spelling or letter missing as I am dyslexic

I guess I model BR blue because it is what I grew up with.

I was born in the mid 60s. Got into spotting and locos late 70s and had lost interested early 90s around about nationalisation time.

So the 80s holds alot of majic memories for me as a teenager/young man. The last decade of having a large scale railway with the variety of british buit traction, the depots all serving the tail end of industrial britain.

I guess some find it dull, the sea of blue, but for some like me it holds good memories

• RMweb Premium

Really liking this, interesting track layout, great background story, and very nicely modelled. This certainly proves that "less is more" where track work is concerned, the sense of space is very good. 

I'm a few years younger than you, but the 70s and 80s is very much "my" era too. Yes it was a sea of blue, and many places were rundown and decrepit, but it had so much more character than the multi-coloured, (allegedly) super-efficient present day railway, but perhaps you had to have been there to appreciate it!

Forgive me if I've missed it, but what size is Boxchester?

Hi all........... I will call this Stage 5

Hedges are missing. As they are too bright and I am toning them down to fit in with the muted colours of this layout. So ignore the hedges in the shots

I am not happy with the way the rail,built buffer stops fit. So I will re-visit them.

I also have a dissued engine shed to go on. I started scratch building. But have deceided to built a scale scenes one.

I start weathering the 33 tomorrow

Stage 5

P1000415_zpsefa4f101.jpg

P1000417_zps293ecde2.jpg

Not too happy with the brown mud in the forground here. It looks a touch clumsy - so I will re visit that too

P1000420_zpsd2142989.jpg

P1000434_zpse036ee52.jpg

P1000430_zps5d88eef4.jpg

P1000426_zps0bc625b2.jpg

P1000427_zps0cad5c58.jpg

P1000431_zps46b321b5.jpg

P1000425_zps327ef0d2.jpg

P1000422_zps43acc7d9.jpg

I have tried to show some of detail I am starting to get into it.

I await Dapol´s release of their rail blue 73 :)

Really impressed, looks great.

Is the platform for parcels only, or people too?

I know you say your modelling it on southern region but (to me personally) it does have a Scottish feel to it, a rake of OTA wagons, a pile of logs and a digger/crane to load them would set it off great.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing your stock.

Matt

Thanks Matt

My idea behind the platform is that is long disused for passengers and sees light parcels traffic.

Although I have the white and red buffer stops, a southern ground signal, the southern concreate feel to the platform edging and a southern plate layers hut.......

I must admit you are right. More scottish in way. Perhaps I need to buy a 27 :)

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic layout; really captures the look of a run-down part of the Southern Region in the 1980s.  I especially like the retaining wall, tunnel area and the platform edging.  Some nice weathering on the 33 too.

Being a particular fan of SR passenger trains, I'd definitely have to lay some third rail into that platform and have a scruffy, overworked 2-EPB running in there! 

Archived