Boxchester - Southern Region 1982

SouthernBlue80s

• 4 weeks later...

It is largely finished

15mph speed sign into the yard added

3rd attempt at getting the backscene right worked - wallpaper paste is my top tip for get it to adhear to board correctly. After buggering up 2 before hand trying different things.

Grounded SR van now on

Some weathered wagons.

I would like to get hold of some spades/tools ect

Does anyone know if one of the metal etching companies does a pack

I would also like some Br donkey jacketed figures with the orange his vis vests on. Early 80s style. Any pointers to those chaps would be appreciated.

More locos to come. I really want Dapol to release blue 00 73s....I guess one day.

Latest pics here

P1000550_zps31395ccd.jpg

P1000548_zps90106ed0.jpg

P1000546_zpsd0bdada7.jpg

P1000539_zps1dad5504.jpg

P1000540_zpsa2da26e5.jpg

P1000538_zps1c1a3a93.jpg

P1000529_zps87d25afb.jpg

P1000527_zps58e080ae.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Taken the 33 as far as I will take it for the time being

Overhead warning signs on

Oil spilon the fuel tank

Grease on the buffers

( I had haulage behind this loco in 1987)

P1000564_zps7fa273d0.jpg

P1000563_zps2c0f92b7.jpg

P1000562_zps9e1788f0.jpg

Future plans

Layout will doubled in length later this year. will probably add a fuel tank to the fuel point area

08419 will be with me soon which I will convert into Ashfords 08414. Which I used to see alot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/blue-diesels/4116386301/

37034 will also be with me soon. Not Southern I know ...but I used to see it at Stratford alot. So thats my excuse :)

Vans at Boxchester

P1000561_zps39d0aa71.jpg

Really nice piece of work, I will be looking for 33 in Blue at Stafford at the weekend to go with my NSE 33 and 50's

Lovely pics too, low level shots always look the best, a lot more realistic and believable.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

Fantastic layout; really captures the look of a run-down part of the Southern Region in the 1980s.  I especially like the retaining wall, tunnel area and the platform edging.  Some nice weathering on the 33 too.

Being a particular fan of SR passenger trains, I'd definitely have to lay some third rail into that platform and have a scruffy, overworked 2-EPB running in there! 

Having re-read this I am tempted to do the third rail /EPB into the platform. We shall see :)

Really nice piece of work, I will be looking for 33 in Blue at Stafford at the weekend to go with my NSE 33 and 50's

Lovely pics too, low level shots always look the best, a lot more realistic and believable.

All the best,

Andy :sungum:

Thanks Andy

(Hope your 33 hunt is a success  - I am tempted to get my hands on a Heljan 33/2 next)

Brilliant layout , excellent eye for colour.

Love the 33 too, shows what you can do without an air brush .

I'd love to know how you weathered the bogies as this always seems impossible without airbrushing, what's your technique ?

Hi Rob

How I weathered my first loco Is as follows..............

1. Detach body from underframe

2. Mask off the front windows and anything electrical in the bogie area and matt varnish

3. Light black wash over the sides and roof

4. Matt black paint on the roof. And paint any other details to an ex works condition - such as the hooks on the front lets say.

5. Black weathering powder over the paint on the roof

6. On the body and bogies I use my weathering powder gunk :)

What this is, is a mashed up collection of all the old powders I have used to weather the layout

White/Earth Brown/Black and various rusts. This keeps the loco colour in keeping with the layout

I work bits of this up and down the body but not too much and really attack the underframe/bogies with this

7. Then I get track rust powder and gently work some of that in where appropriate on the underfame/bogies

8. A little gloss black on the buffers and for oil spils and on springs on the bogies

9. The yellow front - A light wash of Humbrol 62 matt and again a subtle going over with my weathering powder gunk

10 .Stand back for 24 hours. Take pics. wince at the all the imperfections they show and just revisit little bits here and there

Hope this is off some help.

But I am a novice

Key powders used

Track Rust - DCC Concepts

Ultrafine black - DCC Concepts

Dark Earth - Humbrol

A touch of

While  - Humbrol

Rich Rust - DCC Concepts

Having re-read this I am tempted to do the third rail /EPB into the platform. We shall see :)

You won't regret it!  I use Peco third rail parts, painted in Humbrol Chocolate number 98 for both rail and pots.  The piece in the number 2 siding is painted light rust to represent a newly laid piece, with the pots in grey.

The Scalefour Society also do some third rail parts, but I've not used them: http://www.scalefour.org/top4/top4-4.html.  You can also get kickboards from C&L Finescale, which are on my to-do list. 

Finally, if you like this sort of thing, Express Models do a blue flash arcing gizmo, seen in action on my layout here:

Only just caught this thread. Superb atmosphere and absolutely superb ground scenics - amongst the very best I have seen. In addition to your ,gratefully received, description of how you weathered your Class 33, could you possibly describe what methods and materials you used to create the particularly gungy ground. This is so realistic and reminds me greatly of the condition in Rochester Yard (which I used to cover occasionally in the early 80's), but also Queenborough yard (without the walls and tunnel obviously) - I remember how the soggy mess of smelly clay, chalk and grit/ballast used to stick to my boots and plaster my trousers, no matter how careful I was... Your groundworks ooze that sensation! 

Only just caught this thread. Superb atmosphere and absolutely superb ground scenics - amongst the very best I have seen. In addition to your ,gratefully received, description of how you weathered your Class 33, could you possibly describe what methods and materials you used to create the particularly gungy ground. This is so realistic and reminds me greatly of the condition in Rochester Yard (which I used to cover occasionally in the early 80's), but also Queenborough yard (without the walls and tunnel obviously) - I remember how the soggy mess of smelly clay, chalk and grit/ballast used to stick to my boots and plaster my trousers, no matter how careful I was... Your groundworks ooze that sensation! 

Hi Mike

I will describe it the best I can

Tapped down track with pins loosely

Balasted with woodland scenics buff and brown mixed. More fine with a bit of medium mixed in. To give the yard feel as opposed to mainline feel.

Scored grooves into track to replicate rail lenghts and added plastic fish plates - I fiddly bitch of job and lots of cursing involved

Weathered track with powders mixed up into paint

were the main ones

Dark Earth - Humbrol was used to blend stuff in

Then pollyfiller smeered between the tracks and sides for really gunky areas - painted matt black or brown and then blended in with the brown and black powders

White made a small subtle appearance here and there and extra rust in areas too

Static grass 2mm 4mm to cover up small edges I was not to pleased with.

I very carefully chose the colours and went for muted.

For example I went for woodland scenics hedges the most subtle I could find. Out of the packet they were good but too bright. Too toy train. So I got my blend in powder, the earth brown, and diulted some in lots of water and soaked the hedges in it. It knocked the colour back and again gave the layout a tonal harmony.

So I would say stick with a few colours and mix them and use them subtly everywhere. What is known as a restricted pallet.

Hope this helps.

All the best :)

I would have Idealy liked to have the room to model Rochester Yard with the mainlines above with an EPB on.

However I just dont have the room to do it properly. And I either do it properly or not at all

Thats why I like Davids Dover stuff so much. As he has the room to try and model something exact that a remember well.

I am going to model another section of the same size. But will be restricted to a 60mm height, as it has to slide under a sofa out of sight....or my wife will divorce me :D

I might see what of the yard I could fit on or perhaps as an alternative use that as the excuse for the third rail/EPB/flashing gizmo malarky. The two boards will connect.

Rochester - just do the high level main line, plus a couple of yard roads at the end nearest the station, with the wall of the goods shed as the backdrop the other side, and the long footbridge over the yard as a scenic break?

I've plenty of photos of Rochester in the early 80s if you need them, some of which have already been posted on rmweb, e.g. this post, the first pic of which shows the area I'm trying to describe above.

Hi Mike

I will describe it the best I can

Tapped down track with pins loosely

Balasted with woodland scenics buff and brown mixed. More fine with a bit of medium mixed in. To give the yard feel as opposed to mainline feel.

Scored grooves into track to replicate rail lenghts and added plastic fish plates - I fiddly bitch of job and lots of cursing involved

Weathered track with powders mixed up into paint

were the main ones

Dark Earth - Humbrol was used to blend stuff in

Then pollyfiller smeered between the tracks and sides for really gunky areas - painted matt black or brown and then blended in with the brown and black powders

White made a small subtle appearance here and there and extra rust in areas too

Static grass 2mm 4mm to cover up small edges I was not to pleased with.

I very carefully chose the colours and went for muted.

For example I went for woodland scenics hedges the most subtle I could find. Out of the packet they were good but too bright. Too toy train. So I got my blend in powder, the earth brown, and diulted some in lots of water and soaked the hedges in it. It knocked the colour back and again gave the layout a tonal harmony.

So I would say stick with a few colours and mix them and use them subtly everywhere. What is known as a restricted pallet.

Hope this helps.

All the best :)

Very useful, yes, many thanks

Mike

I would have Idealy liked to have the room to model Rochester Yard

Great layout - superb subtle weathering

You need to renumber that GUV to S86804 though.................it spent a considerable amount of its life working through Box(Ro)chester on the Ramsgate - Bricklayers Arms / Victoria vans - much to we Medway NPCCS-spotters chagrin................ :no:

Great layout - superb subtle weathering

You need to renumber that GUV to S86804 though.................it spent a considerable amount of its life working through Box(Ro)chester on the Ramsgate - Bricklayers Arms / Victoria vans - much to we Medway NPCCS-spotters chagrin................ :no:

Perfect Info. Many many thanks

As I have been looking at that ....thinking I wonder what number a regular GUV visitor would have had.

Archived