HSB in the Süd Harz HOm

PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Holes for the magnets cut. These will be on hinged flaps so they drop down beyond range when not needed so hopefully no unwanted uncoupling, (Wish I'd thought of that on Braunlage default_wink.png )

Now covered by very thin plasticard so the track can be laid.

post-6968-0-01182600-1517898580_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Three coats of dark blue matt and then one coat of light blue gloss on the four backscenes and three coats along the layout front. The top gloss coat is to provide a good surface for the vinyl. I need to let it dry thoroughly and do the second side on the two forest / quarry boards with gloss then get the vinyl on so I can start the scenery. Point motors have been dispatched too so I'll work on the buildings this week as the paint needs to really cure well.

post-6968-0-61501200-1518287488_thumb.jpg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

They'll be low relief tight up to the backscene here, the scene is only 180mm deep and at 68mm diameter they take up too much room otherwise. I did consider cutting just the back third off but on a friends layout they look ok to me with similar size silos. All you'd see in the mirror is yourself which would spoil the illusion too so hopefully the quarry buildings will take your eye back further ;)

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Gold

Ok opinions time :)

In one of the earlier plans I made the fiddleyard double ended so I could have a branch off to the town tram system like I've done at Braunlage. Now I'd forgotten about it but the plan has come full circle in a way and there's room to do it with these boards. It has the advantage of making these four boards usable as a standalone layout too. Does this look too crammed in if I move the shed track back to allow a spur off? I'm thinking of having have a black divider with just a small hole for the train set back from the end of the backscene so the FY / 'rest of the HSB' station isn't in view.

39416565045_4ee0e3d3fa_b.jpgHOm Harz by -salisburyASC-

• RMweb Gold

I'm sure it would work, but do you really want trams at both ends? What if there had been a line from Sorge heading north towards Walkenried? Or, in the 1926 timetable there is a train that terminates at Sorge, and by 1938 that was three a day. I'm sure they must have run to the NWE station to terminate. But suppose they then headed north using that railway before cutting across on a fictional link to Walkenried? So on the layout, a train that disappears to Sorge/Tanne then reappears at Walkenried?

• RMweb Gold

Well as I haven't actually done trams at Braunlage, I used the Seilbahn push pull instead I'm thinking it might be different or could use the HSB railcars. I don't think I want a second connection to the HSB but I could replace the SG line to Zorge (rather than Sorge) as this map?

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmalspurbahn_Walkenried–Braunlage/Tanne

• RMweb Gold

Well as I haven't actually done trams at Braunlage, I used the Seilbahn push pull instead I'm thinking it might be different or could use the HSB railcars. I don't think I want a second connection to the HSB but I could replace the SG line to Zorge (rather than Sorge) as this map?

https://de.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmalspurbahn_Walkenried–Braunlage/Tanne

Yes, that makes more sense, and of course I'd got north and south inverted. I just feel that having the train sitting in storage facing Walkenried is too good a chance to miss!

• RMweb Premium

Re the Rietze/Hödl Nordhausen Combinos, I understand they’re provided with 16.5 mm wheelsets rather than metre gauge, aren’t they? Just felt I should mention this as it might entail some tweaking in order to get them running. That being said, a Combino Duo would certainly be an eye-catcher! :yes:

• RMweb Gold

Re the Rietze/Hödl Nordhausen Combinos, I understand they’re provided with 16.5 mm wheelsets rather than metre gauge, aren’t they? Just felt I should mention this as it might entail some tweaking in order to get them running. That being said, a Combino Duo would certainly be an eye-catcher! :yes:

Yes I'm quite happy to build a mech if required so not worried about the wheelsets. I haven't found the motorising kit for sale yet but I'll have a look if a home build one might be easy as I have some HOm bogie spares already and can build or regauge a mech to drive it.

Seems to be the 90511 for the Combino 3 unit in HOm

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Again re the Combino, I noticed a cautionary advice posted on the Hödl site for their N scale Combino, stating that running this model for more than a couple of minutes without interruption might cause bodyshell warping due to motor heat inevitably building up inside the compact body.

I’m not sure how much at risk the H0 versions might be to this kind of damage. I guess choosing a thermally efficient motor, if you will, could be easier in H0, though. Just thought I should point this out to spare you from frustration if you should choose to build your own motor unit. :yes: