Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
* * * * - 7 votes

Hornby's Best Ever Models

RTR 00 Hornby Steam

• Please log in to reply
1829 replies to this topic

#1826 coachmann

coachmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18,928 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 09:58

A small detail perhaps, but the totem is slightly too low on 46229's Tender.  It should be where it is on the image below. It won't matter to 99% of people I am sure, as it is barely a millimeter higher, but as there are one or two railway modellers on this forum, I thought i would mention it.   :biggrin_mini2:

WEB Duchess totem.jpg

Edited by coachmann, 12 December 2017 - 10:09 .

• Funny x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#1827 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted 12 December 2017 - 20:39

Thankyou Larry,

In similar pose another recent arrival here is shown below and I was wondering Larry if the Bachmann GWR green on 3433 is the same colour which Hornby ought to do on BR Brunswick green engines?   It is certainly a nice rich hue, the lighting was my usual mix of window-daylight and a tungsten bulb reading lamp. Camera Canon EOS-M, 18-55mm kit lens  no colour filters apart from auto white balance, and Picasa colour balance afterwards.

Or was 1912 or other later GWR green different from BR green?

3433_3700_City_of_Bath_Img_8619ab_r1200.jpg

cheers,

Edited by robmcg, 12 December 2017 - 20:50 .

• Agree x 1

#1828 coachmann

coachmann

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18,928 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 21:24

Thankyou Larry,

In similar pose another recent arrival here is shown below and I was wondering Larry if the Bachmann GWR green on 3433 is the same colour which Hornby ought to do on BR Brunswick green engines?   It is certainly a nice rich hue, the lighting was my usual mix of window-daylight and a tungsten bulb reading lamp. Camera Canon EOS-M, 18-55mm kit lens  no colour filters apart from auto white balance, and Picasa colour balance afterwards.

Or was 1912 or other later GWR green different from BR green?

attachicon.gif3433_3700_City_of_Bath_Img_8619ab_r1200.jpg

cheers,

Going off the glossy colour samples in the 1967 publication 'The Great Western Railway - A Livery Register'  by the HMRS (Foreword by F.W.Hawsworth), the GWR loco greens shown for 1875, 1881 and 1906 are all much darker than the green adopted in 1928 and used thereafter.  I suspect Bachmann has used the same green it uses on all its GWR and BR green locos. It is at the blue end of the spectrum:- A cold Brunswick rather than warm Middle Chrome. 

Some of us in the trade have used the same green for years but I cannot bring to mind what the green is called (I am indoors). It is a standard colour that anyone can purchase in enamel. Mine is cellulose. Once the green has been selected, the trick with GWR and BR lining is it should not be all that visible from some distance away. Alan Brackenborough and I used to used a light brown tan colour for lining out. Since retiring, I do GWR and BR lining with Precision Paints orange lining colour but to much finer lines than when I was doing it for a living (I have more time!). I hope this helps. 

• Informative/Useful x 2
  • Thanks x 1

#1829 toboldlygo

toboldlygo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 12 December 2017 - 22:08

Britannia's rule, only when Bulleids are out of commission - due to dodgy axles (which in turn they suffered from)

70051_snp.jpg

#1830 robmcg

robmcg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,368 posts
  • LocationNZ

Posted Today, 20:26

With the improvement in BR greens I am wondering where the green used in unlined GWR engines fits into the scheme of things, the 4050 Star by Hornby and the unlined 3700 class by Bachmann come to mind.

Unlike many I like the Star, the spokes on the front quite easily changed from 12 to 10, and I like the prototype, it raised the bar for express trains working at 60mph averages up to 450-500 tons...

4050_GWR_Star_portrait25_2abc_r1200.jpg

picture edited