Hornby's Best Ever Models

robmcg

A small detail perhaps, but the totem is slightly too low on 46229's Tender.  It should be where it is on the image below. It won't matter to 99% of people I am sure, as it is barely a millimeter higher, but as there are one or two railway modellers on this forum, I thought i would mention it.   :biggrin_mini2:

post-6680-0-28568000-1513072929.jpg

Edited by coachmann

Thankyou Larry,

In similar pose another recent arrival here is shown below and I was wondering Larry if the Bachmann GWR green on 3433 is the same colour which Hornby ought to do on BR Brunswick green engines?   It is certainly a nice rich hue, the lighting was my usual mix of window-daylight and a tungsten bulb reading lamp. Camera Canon EOS-M, 18-55mm kit lens  no colour filters apart from auto white balance, and Picasa colour balance afterwards.

Or was 1912 or other later GWR green different from BR green?

post-7929-0-50599800-1513111533_thumb.jpg

cheers,

Edited by robmcg

Thankyou Larry,

In similar pose another recent arrival here is shown below and I was wondering Larry if the Bachmann GWR green on 3433 is the same colour which Hornby ought to do on BR Brunswick green engines?   It is certainly a nice rich hue, the lighting was my usual mix of window-daylight and a tungsten bulb reading lamp. Camera Canon EOS-M, 18-55mm kit lens  no colour filters apart from auto white balance, and Picasa colour balance afterwards.

Or was 1912 or other later GWR green different from BR green?

attachicon.gif3433_3700_City_of_Bath_Img_8619ab_r1200.jpg

cheers,

Going off the glossy colour samples in the 1967 publication 'The Great Western Railway - A Livery Register'  by the HMRS (Foreword by F.W.Hawsworth), the GWR loco greens shown for 1875, 1881 and 1906 are all much darker than the green adopted in 1928 and used thereafter.  I suspect Bachmann has used the same green it uses on all its GWR and BR green locos. It is at the blue end of the spectrum:- A cold Brunswick rather than warm Middle Chrome. 

Some of us in the trade have used the same green for years but I cannot bring to mind what the green is called (I am indoors). It is a standard colour that anyone can purchase in enamel. Mine is cellulose. Once the green has been selected, the trick with GWR and BR lining is it should not be all that visible from some distance away. Alan Brackenborough and I used to used a light brown tan colour for lining out. Since retiring, I do GWR and BR lining with Precision Paints orange lining colour but to much finer lines than when I was doing it for a living (I have more time!). I hope this helps. 

With the improvement in BR greens I am wondering where the green used in unlined GWR engines fits into the scheme of things, the 4050 Star by Hornby and the unlined 3700 class by Bachmann come to mind.

Unlike many I like the Star, the spokes on the front quite easily changed from 12 to 10, and I like the prototype, it raised the bar for express trains working at 60mph averages up to 450-500 tons...

post-7929-0-47768200-1513283159_thumb.jpg

picture edited

• Like 1

It may not be 'best ever' but it's up there with 'most sought-after'....  46256 SWS version at least.

Here is younger older sister 46229 Duchess of Hamilton...  edited pic

post-7929-0-31051900-1513396176_thumb.jpg

apologies, I accidentally put this in the Merchant Navy thread yesterday, now gone from there,

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

That star would be fine    ~     in undercoat haha....

I agree though, Hornby made a neat job of these locos. It was just a pity mine wouldn't have quite fitted into trotting around the Dee Valley route with those 6' 9" drivers.

Speaking of 6' 9" drivers, I was stumped today when trying to find out when the early LMS Compounds went over to left-hand-drive and in an old 2012 thread I found your suggestion that the Essery Profile number 13 Standard LMS Compounds was a good reference, I found one on Amazon so will have no excuse about such things when changing number, tenders, chimneys, domes, and suchlike on pics of the class, thankyou Larry.

I still don't know when they changed but think it's about 41096-on. I have seen it written somewhere but cannot remember where..

Took a guess on pics of 41021 and 41072, the former being very 'early' and the latter being 9/1924...

post-7929-0-99315200-1513396894_thumb.jpg

post-7929-0-18202300-1513396932_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I don't remember seeing one of those on 5080.

If I stuck that turret on a Castle Class - I'm sure certain individuals of this forum would spontaneously combust  :jester:  :jester:

Though Trekkers on here could well approve ;)

Edited by toboldlygo

Speaking of 6' 9" drivers, I was stumped today when trying to find out when the early LMS Compounds went over to left-hand-drive and in an old 2012 thread I found your suggestion that the Essery Profile number 13 Standard LMS Compounds was a good reference, I found one on Amazon so will have no excuse about such things when changing number, tenders, chimneys, domes, and suchlike on pics of the class, thankyou Larry.

I still don't know when they changed but think it's about 41096-on. I have seen it written somewhere but cannot remember where..

Took a guess on pics of 41021 and 41072, the former being very 'early' and the latter being 9/1924...

Rather neat images too. Midland Compound Chronology :- 

Oct 1905             First Deeley Compound 1005

March 1906         First shallow frame Compound 1015

March 1907         Engine renumbering

July 1913             First superhearter Compound

February 1924      First 6' 9" compound 1045

July 1924              First short chimney compound 1065

May 1925             First LH drive Compound 1085

June 1948            First Deeley Compound scrapped 1029

July 1951             1000 withdrawn

December 1952    First standard LMS compound scrapped

August 1958         1000 restored

July 1961              Last Compound withdrawn 1168

Edited by coachmann

Rather neat images too. Midland Compound Chronology :- 

Oct 1905             First Deeley Compound 1005

March 1906         First shallow frame Compound 1015

March 1907         Engine renumbering

July 1913             First superhearter Compound

February 1924      First 6' 9" compound 1045

July 1924              First short chimney compound 1065

May 1925             First LH drive Compound 1085

June 1948            First Deeley Compound scrapped 1029

July 1951             1000 withdrawn

December 1952    First standard LMS compound scrapped

August 1958         1000 restored

July 1961              Last Compound withdrawn 1168

Great!  Much appreciated!   I had only guessed 41072 as r/h-drive, and short chimney, as in post-1948 and still wonder about dome shapes and such as tender and boiler swaps.  

As you have said, photos are often the best guide. My own experience of railways and other industries suggests to me that a lot of official records are and were not quite right.. 

And since this is nominally at least a Hornby thread I had better put up a pic of an engine modelled nicely by Hornby, and which was the Gresley philosophy of 'large and powerful' as opposed to the LMS philosophy of 'fast, luxurious and regular' services with efficient 4-4-0s.

The A3 below doesn't just represent the class at its best, 1958-62, but also evokes for me the days when I would hang around engine sheds on a Sunday afternoon with a Box Brownie or later, an 'Agfa Clack'. Christmas 1963 bought a 35mm 'Regula Sprinty B' at £9/19/6d which was a huge expense, and it was 1966 before I mowed enough lawns to buy a 6x6 camera.  Oh for a Rolliflex in the early days, and the time and skill to use it!

But as ever I digress...  

post-7929-0-38652400-1513447952_thumb.jpg

cheers

• Like 3

No-one seems to have mentioned this. Although I could be wrong. I think the sentinel they did was one of if not the best shunter locomotive they did.

Shunting engines? What heresy is this?  Next you'll be saying Barclays would sell...  :)

Well......the Heljan? Class 05 seems to be quite popular......soooo Hornby would do well to produce one.

Sorry, I was only joking, after all the Barclays edit; Pecketts  ...have proven popular, as well as selling-out, as well as being lovely models (so I gather anyway).

Cheers,

of course, there are always these....

post-7929-0-39739300-1513553716_thumb.jpg

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 3

The first of the dirty trio finally breaks cover...

attachicon.gif30765_rh.jpg

That is an excellent piece of work, toboldlygo.  One might even imagine that there are some around here who engage in modelling!

Not me though, box-opener that I am, vicarious pleasure and all that stuff. Yesterday I sold one of my US models and felt obligated to help the UK s/h market out by buying a 15 Guinea Special pair of mint Black 5s 44781 and 44871, for no better reason than wanting to have them in my collection, having sold a pair in 2012.

Then, not being entirely satisfied with my 'fix' I bought an LSWR T9 in that rather odd Hornby LSWR green.. or sand, or whatever that colour is called, and now wonder what LSWR carriages looked like colour-wise, I have 3 ex-LSWR Southern Railway green but I doubt they will do, even with 'rule one'. edit; I guess since No.120 wasn't superheated with the longer smokebox and different details until 1927 and is in restored LSWR colours, even Mk1s will do.

I'll try to concoct a picture of the T9 sometime soon, aided by any pics of the prototype in that colour  (or b+w version of it, allowing for the vagaries of older film, etc).

It is one of those models which I am sure looks better in the flesh than in most studio lighting.

Cheers

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That is an excellent piece of work, toboldlygo.  One might even imagine that there are some around here who engage in modelling!

Not me though, box-opener that I am, vicarious pleasure and all that stuff. Yesterday I sold one of my US models and felt obligated to help the UK s/h market out by buying a 15 Guinea Special pair of mint Black 5s 44781 and 44871, for no better reason than wanting to have them in my collection, having sold a pair in 2012.

Then, not being entirely satisfied with my 'fix' I bought an LSWR T9 in that rather odd Hornby LSWR green.. or sand, or whatever that colour is called, and now wonder what LSWR carriages looked like colour-wise, I have 3 ex-LSWR Southern Railway green but I doubt they will do, even with 'rule one'.

I'll try to concoct a picture of the T9 sometime soon, aided by any pics of the prototype in that colour  (or b+w version of it, allowing for the vagaries of older film, etc).

It is one of those models which I am sure looks better in the flesh than in most studio lighting.

Cheers

No mean feat, but Sir Gareth is my 48th renaming/renumbering for the year (49 & 50 aren't far behind)*.

The 49th (S15) went technical this morning - she threw a pin from the running gear that meant I had to strip the loco to bits to refit it (worth noting I nearly chucked the offending part at a brick wall at one point).

Otherwise she would've appeared on these pages this afternoon (it was dusk by the time I finished her).

The 50th (Firth of Forth) is currently drying in between final airbrush operations ;) 

*If you take into account the various Airfix kits I've completed this as well:

• B-17G Flying Fortress (1/72 scale)
  • Curtis P-40B Warhawk (1/48 Scale)
  • Dornier Do17z (1/72 Scale)
  • Hawker Typhoon Mk 1B (1/24 Scale)
  • Grumman Martlet (1/72 Scale)
  • Avro Shackleton MR.2 (1/72 Scale)
  • Avro Lancaster B.I (FE) (1/72 Scale)

I think I've done quite well...

• Like 1