It's almost time for another new issue of BRM, so to whet your appetite, here are the highlights of the May issue. It's my first issue in charge of the magazine, so do let me know what you think of it. Any feedback is welcome. As I'm new to BRM I'm keen to learn what you like (and don't like!), anything you'd like to see more of and any suggestions for making it even more relevant to your modelling needs. You can either PM me or send an email to benj@warnersgroup.co.uk

Layout of the Month - Engine Wood (OO)
Tim Maddocks’ (Captain Kernow) ‘other’ Somerset & Dorset-based layout, providing a snapshot of a fictional alternative S&DJR route in its final years.

Layout Focus - Trebudoc (O)
Andy Peters takes a big step in a layout build from current image OO to O gauge steam. A BR Southern/Western Region branch line terminus in Cornwall.

Layout Focus - Juniper Hill (OO)
Mark Branson shows what you can achieve in OO gauge with his industrial layout on a shelf that’s just 3’ x 8”.

Practical BRM
Build a pizza layout (Pt 2)
Build LMS and BR beer wagon kits (OO & O)
Add flashing tail lights to a brake van
Construct a Metcalfe brewery kit
Beginners guide to track systems
Q&A Special: Useful tools

Brewery Special
'Ale by Rail' - prototype beer traffic operations and archive photos
BRM visits Burton Brewery Museum to see an unusual 2mm:1ft scale townscape with working railways

News & Reviews
Hattons/Heljan LMS Beyer Garratt review + LMS Garratt history

Kernow Model Rail Centre/Graham Farish N gauge china clay 'hoods'

What’s New - including the latest from Bachmann, Dapol, DJ Models and Heljan and first photos of the Graham Farish N Class 2-6-0 and Heljan 'Met' electric.

Plus…

Q&A
Readers’ Layouts
Letters
Diary Dates

This issue will be available to download as a Digital Edition on Friday (April 4) and on-sale in shops next Thursday (April 10).

To download, go to: www.pocketmags.com/BRM or download the ‘British Railway Modelling’ app if you’re on an iPad/tablet device.

Hope you enjoy it.

Ben

post-22012-0-93961700-1396450409_thumb.jpg

Intrigued by the flashing tail light article.

Here's my budget scratch-built battery powered attempt on a Yeoman hopper wagon. Almost perfect flashing rate from Chinese sourced LEDs via ebay.

Next project is to add one to my aged Hornby container flats.

post-22490-0-06707100-1396516961_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

With all of the beer-themed articles I wondered whether there might be a sample sachet inside the plastic bag :drinks: ;)   Perhaps not...

Looks to be a good issue and a timely exposure of the Captain's efforts, given that some of us will be paying homage to said gentlemen in person later this month!

• RMweb Gold

With Engine Wood & Juniper Hill, not to mention a certain 'liquid' theme running through this issue, I may just be tempted to buy my first BRM in a long while!

With all of the beer-themed articles I wondered whether there might be a sample sachet inside the plastic bag :drinks: ;)   Perhaps not...

I'd have thought that dried yeast would be more likely - they want us to make stuff for ourselves.

Huw.

• RMweb Gold

It's almost time for another new issue of BRM,

Layout of the Month - Engine Wood (OO)

Tim Maddocks’ (Captain Kernow) ‘other’ Somerset & Dorset-based layout, providing a snapshot of a fictional alternative S&DJR route in its final years.

I'll say this now, folks, although it scarcely needs saying in one way for those that know his work, and that is that the photos that Andy Y took of 'Engine Wood' a few months ago are quite simply the best I've ever seen of my layout. They simply blew me away, as did those he took for 'Bleakhouse Road' last year. Just incredible stuff and I am very grateful to him for the time and trouble to present my layout in this way. I was particularly taken with the shot of the Standard 3 tank under the tree, so it's a real pleasure to see that this has been used for the front cover, many thanks chaps!

Afternoon All,

Just to give you a bit more information on the BRM Digital Edition. Starting with the May issue, we've enhanced what it can offer and included some great extra content (on-sale as a Digital download tomorrow - Friday, April 4th).

There’s an exclusive, and occasionally emotional, 20+ minute video interview with Simon Kohler, filmed at the recent London Festival of Railway Modelling.

And, to accompany the Hattons/Heljan LMS Beyer-Garratt review we’ve filmed it pulling over 100 wagons on Tony Wright’s 'Little Bytham' layout.

You’ll also find loads more interactive features to make the BRM Digital Edition even better value for money.

Here’s how to download the BRM Digital Edition:

1.       iPad/Android/Kindle: download the ‘British Railway Modelling’ app which is free. Then purchase the May issue of BRM (or save even more by subscribing).
2.       PC/Mac: go to www.pocketmags.com/BRM and purchase the May issue of BRM.

Enjoy...

Ben

Intrigued by the flashing tail light article.

Here's my budget scratch-built battery powered attempt on a Yeoman hopper wagon. Almost perfect flashing rate from Chinese sourced LEDs via ebay.

Next project is to add one to my aged Hornby container flats.

attachicon.gifIMG_3309_Crop.jpg

Can you elaborate on how you did this please? Did you just use a piece of plasticard with a hole drilled out for the LED?

I have to agree with Tim, (Captain Kernow) re the quality of Andy's pics, when I saw what he'd done last Month with Glen Roy and then the previews for Trebudoc next month I too was blown away.

Andy is a real asset to BRM.

Andy :sungum:

• Administrators

Hi all,

The Digital Edition of BRM May is now available to download. We've enhanced the Digital Edition more than ever as Ben has explained in a post above. We've made this little video to show you some of the extra features. Enjoy...

OK; I weakened.

Rather than wait for my print copy to arrive I downloaded it to check how the extra video content would work. I've just given Steve a call to give a bit of feedback as I think it's a thoroughly good issue and it's evident that Ben's put a lot of effort in to his first issue in the chair. I particularly like his image selection to illustrate the 'Ale by Rail' article; there's some belters in there including the half-relief signal box.

It was good to watch the 20+ minute Simon Kohler interview as a spectator this time and it's remarkably candid and as Ben said above it's quite emotional. I'm not Paxman but my opening question of "Why are you going then?" wasn't the most subtle starting point!

It's an RMweb hat-trick of layouts of course and I think Trebudoc looks particularly good on the page. It's a shame we didn't have space to use one or two of the images of the National Brewery Centre's model of Burton a little larger a there's so much detail in there; maybe I'll post them later in the month on here as an extra.

Andy, a bit of constructive feedback if I may please. As much as I enjoyed the interview I wondered whether in future you might give some consideration to having some sort of 'proper' sound provision. There was quite a lot of background noise which sometimes made it difficult to hear, particularly the questions from the audience.

All in all a very good idea to have it embedded into the magazine.

Andy, a bit of constructive feedback if I may please. As much as I enjoyed the interview I wondered whether in future you might give some consideration to having some sort of 'proper' sound provision. There was quite a lot of background noise which sometimes made it difficult to hear, particularly the questions from the audience.

It was only organised about 15 mins before we did it; the sound from the speakers isn't too bad. If we'd set out to do it we may have been able to record the mic feed and mix it after.

Also there seems some confusion on the E-Mail I received, it shows Engine Wood on the cover, and showing Puddlers Brook further on down, but Trebudoc is shown in Bens list of contents which I know is correct.

Confused.Bodge :sungum:

Also there seems some confusion on the E-Mail I received, it shows Engine Wood on the cover, and showing Puddlers Brook further on down, but Trebudoc is shown in Bens list of contents which I know is correct.

Confused.Bodge :sungum:

Puddlers Brook was my 'layout of the month' in the RMweb Newsletter, it's not in the mag.

Archived