GW Plymouth Auto Trailers

• RMweb Premium

For modellers of the the GW from around 1909 til 1958 in the Plymouth area there were several Auto sets that ran mostly as pairs, the most numerous of these were the Diag Q & R. There were 5 trailers built of each Diagram, 2 of each in 1909 and the rest in 1913.

Several years ago I ordered a couple of sets from Worsley Works, I have finally taken delivery of the first pair of etches, I have finally gotten around to blowing up the drawings from Mr John Lewis book Great Western Auto Trailers part 1 to check out the etches and the sides compare quite favourably, but the floors will need some work. As will the inner and brake ends.

Below are photo's of the etches as received

post-9897-0-40755400-1397833582_thumb.jpg

Diagram Q

post-9897-0-68478400-1397833817_thumb.jpg

Diagram R

I just need to source all the bits and pieces to turn the etches into kits.

SS

• RMweb Gold

Rather expensive for something so basic.

Don't agree David, I'm afraid!

Allen did some superb etches from his artwork for our 4-LAV sets for Balcombe. They came out at around £35 per vehicle body after adding the cost of Comet roofs and door furniture and are working very well for us.....apart from my ham-fisted soldering efforts!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82037-4-lav-sets-for-balcombe/&do=findComment&comment=1416404

• RMweb Premium

The price is on a par with his other etched bodies, and bearing in mind that modern full kits from other suppliers are £80+ these day's I don't think it's to bad. How much would it cost if you went straight to a photo etcher with nothing more than an outline drawing?

SS

• RMweb Gold

Really lovely prototype. For my Horrabridge project I intend to build David Geen's diagram P model.

Will you scratch build the interior? And just out of interest what castings are you planning to use?

Nick.

(Just realised this is my first post since January 9th!)

• RMweb Premium

Really lovely prototype. For my Horrabridge project I intend to build David Geen's diagram P model.

Will you scratch build the interior? And just out of interest what castings are you planning to use?

Nick.

(Just realised this is my first post since January 9th!)

I plan to contact David Geen to see how much of the L/P bits I can use as they are also 70 footers and contemporary with them.

I shall scratch build the interiors, hopefully I can master the software for the Cameo software to cut the bits out. There are a few photo's of 92 & 93 to get an idea of the colours etc. on the GWS website.

SS

SS

Auto-fitted Buffalos.

Yes, one Buffalo was auto-fitted in 1915 and several more in 1917, then a few more in the early twenties and another group in 1928-30. Twenty-one in all, and many of these spent time at Laira or Plymouth. Of the early batch, most were still saddle tanks at the time, receiving panniers in the early to mid twenties. Many of those running in the area in the late twenties had been fitted with extended smokeboxes and tanks, and the curious rectangular front cab windows.

From 1906, and before the Buffalos, most of the auto train working in the Plymouth area used 2021s, including 2120 and 2140 which were fitted with bodywork to match the coaches.

Nick

I have to agree - however it is always relative. It is just that there are some really cheap kits out there - and I mean complete kits. These are sold very honestly as scratch aids and not kits in any sense. They are almost bespoke and appeal to a very select market (if you cannot find the other parts/castings or make them yourself they are near useless) But they do fill a missing gap and for some there is no price for that.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All

Now that I'm back from roving round the country, here is a photo of the gangway end revised etch along side the original end etch.

post-9897-0-29790300-1401962842_thumb.jpg

The left etch is the original as required for the outer ends and on the right the inner ends gangwayed etch.

SS

edit to attach photo and description.

• RMweb Premium

Bit early for me these, however the 'Saltash Stinker' was a great train in the late 50s/early60s with (at peak times) 64XX with two in front and two at rear (sometimes with a couple of milk tankers too!). Loved the bell/gong sound and those panniers didn't half shift. Great days at Devonport Junction en route to school with dear departed Wally. The stock used to be stabled opposite Laira shed I think?

P

Archived