Bachmann 0n30 WHITCOMB Diesel loco.ARRIVED!

Stevelewis

For  those  interested  I note  that  the  avaiability status  of  the  forthcoming 0n30 Whitcombe B0 B0    diesel loco  has  changed  from  Sept/Oct  to  Available. (Green tick = instock!)

I will check  Tower Models Friday  to see if  they  have  any arrival in stock info.

Tower  Models Blackpool   confirms   stock due in  to them.

If any one  is  interested  I will post  a review  when  mine   has  been  received., There  has  been  a  slight  increase  in  the   discount  price, but  not  as  much  as  some Bachmann 00 items  have  increased. 

Tower  Models  Blackpool   £230  Hattons  £246.  Digital decoder  on  Board  is  standard equipment  for   Bachmann  0n30,  the  additon if  you  require  sound  is  a  simple  plug in sound  unit  for  around  £65, These  will not be  available  for  a few  more  weeks  ( speaker  is  already  factory  fitted to loco).

If  you  buy  from  the  USA there is  probably  not much in it  price  wise  $250  +  carriage  usually  around  $30  =$280   but remember  to  add on  the  VAT  + handling  charge  which  Royal Mail  will collect!  $280  = APPROX   £185  add 20% Vat  + £8 handling  and  the  total  is  around   £230.

I  buy  from Micro Mark in NY  when  they  have   something 0n30 which is  out of stock in the  UK    the  delivery  time  is  usually  around 12 to 14 days

For info www.tower-moddels.com

An enquiry  re  availabilty  I made on the 'Ask the  Bachmann'   0n30  forum  on  Bachmann.com  stated  that  UK  stocks  would  arrive  a  little  before  those in  the  USA

My Whitcombe Diesel arrived this  morning!

A brief  review:

The  loco is   mostly  made  of  metal  weighing  in  at  701 grammes.  As a comparison  a  Climax  which is similar in size  weighs 570 Grms,  it  is 7.25" long 2.1" wide  & 3" High (cab roof)

The  finish is excellent, driver  figure fitted in cab.  Decoder is  factory  fitted.

Additional users fitted  parts  1  Horn  &  2  Bells.

Addition of   sound module   appears  simple  a couple of  underside screws allows body removal  and module for  sound  simply  plugs in, the  speaker  is  already  factory installed. 

Running qualities  are excellent, from  an imperceptible  crawl  to  around  40ish MPH top speed.  Its  fine  on  tight  curves,  I reckon 15" radius  should pose no problems

There  is  no  perceptible  gear  whine, in fact  it  is  virtually  silent,  Have not been able  to  judge  haulage capacity, but  I reckon  it  will  out pull  anything  that  that  has    gone  before it in 0n30!

Lights  are  directional  with  the  'trailing  light' remaining  on  but  dimmed ( a bit!)

I am trying  to  resist  ordering  a  second  one!l

post-10539-0-39782500-1411479470.jpg

post-10539-0-84608200-1411479484.jpg

post-10539-0-35088300-1411479498.jpg

post-10539-0-56250100-1411479512.jpg

post-10539-0-93894900-1411479564.jpg

I have  removed  the  body  in order  to  drill thro' the  holes  for  the  bell &  horn to be  fitted  (The  bells & Horn are supplied seperately for user fitting, the positions are indented inside  the  hood,  so the  user  has  to  drill thro' to complete the  holes, I used  a dab of Araldite epoxy adhesive to secure the bell & horn)

Removal is straightforward:  unclip the  2  airtanks, to expose 2 screws under each one,   slip the 4 handrails out of  their holes in  the  cab  and the body lifts  off, it is  still connected to the  chassis  by  the  lighting  cables.

The pins  for  the   additional  sound  module are visible  in the  photos  , so that will be  an easy installation,  the loco has TWO speakers  already fitted  one in each  hood.

EDITED to explain why I had to remove  the  body to fit  the  Horn & Bell.

post-10539-0-22053700-1411656545.jpg

post-10539-0-98897500-1411656554.jpg

post-10539-0-77727500-1411656562.jpg

Not  sure  exactly,  I  think  I  read  somewhere  that  they  had  a  couple  in  Hawaii in the  late  40s/ early  50s

Theres  a bit  of  info  re:  Whitcomb company  history  on Wikipedia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just been  testing  my Whitcomb again  and  because it  has outside  cranks  it  is  easy  to  count  the  wheel  revolutions,  at step 1 on my Prodigy (MRC) 2  it  crawled along  and did  14  wheel revs in 1 minute  covering around  30"

• RMweb Gold

Not  sure  exactly,  I  think  I  read  somewhere  that  they  had  a  couple  in  Hawaii in the  late  40s/ early  50s

Theres  a bit  of  info  re:  Whitcomb company  history  on Wikipedia.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just been  testing  my Whitcomb again  and  because it  has outside  cranks  it  is  easy  to  count  the  wheel  revolutions,  at step 1 on my Prodigy (MRC) 2  it  crawled along  and did  14  wheel revs in 1 minute  covering around  30"

My creaky mental arithmetic makes that about 1.3 mph in 1:48?

My creaky mental arithmetic makes that about 1.3 mph in 1:48?

Yes  that   is  probably  about  right,  quite impressively  slow,  but  after  about 5 mins  gets  quite  boring!!

So  I ran A Japanese HST  on  the  N  gauge layout which sits  below  the  0n30!!

• 2 months later...

Just  a  quick  Update,  the  sound  modules  arrived in the  UK  last  week.  I installed  one  in  my  Whitcomb  which  was  a  quick  and  easy  job, just  a  case  of  plugging  the  module into  the  PCB  ( the 21 pins are visible in  my  previous  pics)

The  sound  is  fine,  plenty  of  additional  sounds  BELL,  5 Different  Horns,  and  the usual  coupler  clank,  air compressors  etc.

Archived