Finescale Railway Modelling Review. Issue 1, Autumn 2014

Arthur

Bob has already answered this one in the other thread (link here - http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/83115-new-magazine/page-13&do=findComment&comment=1602475 ). Future issues will be mailed out in plastic wrappers

Andy (another very satisfied subscriber)

Plastic bags are not always the saviour, the first issue of the 7mm NGA magazine that arrived in a plastic envelope was badly mauled.

Have read my copy, a very interesting read, including some articles which are about subjects I wouldn't normally be interested in, but still appealed and contained some good modelling advice.

My only gripe would be that there was no 7mm scale, but I'm hopeful for the rest of the year....

Cheers,

Andrew

Thank you to all who have given their impressions and for the tremendous feedback. I have to say I have been taken by surprise at the response to Finescale Review, not just from here but from around the world. People seem disillusioned with the mainstream press (as indeed I am) and want something that addresses them like adults and gives them useful, well-illustrated information that is helpful even when not directly relevant to what they are doing in their personal modelling world.

We will be at Scaleforum this weekend - looking forward to it - but there is a possibility that, at this rate, we may run out of the first issue sometime over the weekend. The presses are rolling with a reprint as we speak, but if any subscribers find themselves wondering why our much-vaunted speedy delivery is taking a few days longer, that's why. Please bear with me and accept my apologies for the inconvenience.

If any of you are at Scaleforum this weekend, pop by and say hello. I'm the bleary-eyed, exhausted one with the white hair. What a week!

Best regards

Bob Barlow

Bob,

Just wanted to say - from what I have read of the mag and in addition to what others, here, have said - FSRM is superb and within the editorial you have clearly listened/share the views of many here as to what makes a great mag. for model-makers and enthusiasts alike.

I got the 'blame' (LOL!) on another RMW Thread - a little while back - for hinting at this new magazine and I have been excited about the FS Review since you mentioned such to myself and others and I can honestly say, without being sycophantic, that the mag. exceeds expectation.

I havent finished reading it all yet, but I really like the overall ethos - which you have clearly stuck to - and I think that your levels of thought and those of Roy and Tim is bang on and will reap rewards. I also really liked 'Guerilla Modelling' as an article and as a concept, I like that fact that you guys chose to publish such an article too.

Please stick with it and keep up the good work, FS RM is like an oasis for a thirsty man!

One small plea - again - whilst not directly your fault but that of the Royal Mail - can you have rethink about packaging because even my last few NG& Ind Reviews have been mauled by the RM (the worst was replaced by you guys - thanks). The best method appears to be a card backed envelope within an outer plastic 'bag'. I am not sure of cost implications but as the mag is high quality in terms of paper weight, re-pro and content it would be a shame to ruin the rest for the sake of a hapeth of tar.

Mine has just fallen onto the doormat and it does strike me as an excellent amalgam of best practice from Model Railway Journal, Modelling Railways Illustrated, and other clever bits that occasionally grace the more populist magazines.

So all best wishes for the future, and with such an erudite team at the helm that is surely certain.

I agree!

This reminds me that the short-lived "RailModel Digest" aimed to do something similar many years ago. Remember those who fell in battle before:

515siNvl2sL._SY300_.jpg

Let's hope FRMR lasts a good bit longer.....

Let us hope that this one is a lot longer lived!

mine arrived very promptly and looks impressive although not read it yet. One quick comment about the plain white paper envelope. This was badly torn (luckily there was no damage to the mag) and experience with paper envelopes is that rain damage occurs to contents too, so please consider plastic protective envelopes instead for the future.

See - my above comments/plea.

Plastic bags are not always the saviour, the first issue of the 7mm NGA magazine that arrived in a plastic envelope was badly mauled.

Have read my copy, a very interesting read, including some articles which are about subjects I wouldn't normally be interested in, but still appealed and contained some good modelling advice.

My only gripe would be that there was no 7mm scale, but I'm hopeful for the rest of the year....

Cheers,

Andrew

I am a modeller of 7mm (standard and narrow gauge) and the only thing I can say is that I am sure that 7mm will make an appearance - the editors can only work with what they are given. I found much within to inspire and learn from, which is half the battle IMHO. This hopefully will continue if the team sticks to the ethos - as laid out in the editorial - in that although not every article will be in our chosen/preferred scale we will all come away the wiser/inspired. MRJ used to be like that for me, sadly not so much any more.

PS - Sorry for any typos, yesterday t'internet was playing up - what a 'mare - I noted some typos and roared with laughter!

This reminds me that the short-lived "RailModel Digest" aimed to do something similar many years ago. Remember those who fell in battle before:515siNvl2sL._SY300_.jpg

Let's hope FRMR lasts a good bit longer.....

RailModel Digest was £6.45 in 1996. Finescale Railway Modelling Review is £5.50 today.

At today's prices RailModel Digest would be £10.28. At 1996 prices Finescale Railway Modelling Review would have been £3.28.

£5.50 is at about the top end of my perceived value. If it had been a tenner I'd have passed. Had I been interested in the hobby in 1996 I think I'd have passed at £6.45 then.

But having said that I'm going to subscribe to the new mag, having bought one at Scaleforum. I think that it's important that support be given so I'm going to subscribe, even though some issues may, in the words of some regular detractors on RMweb "there's nothing for me in this" issue/product announcement.

And it is a very good start. Even Sandy's impressed with the pix. Only shown her the cover pic and the warehouse shots of Buckingham this far.

And to the publishers - thanks for taking the risk.

Thanks to actually being at s4um today and I managed to purchase said mag from Bob, (yes the tall aussie who made a bee line and I think may have been one of the first punters to buy) Looks like it will be a good read on the plane journies ahead! I may then take out a sub. to have it posted t home.

I wish every one all the best in the new endeavour!

I just wish that there was an American version covering various scales. There really is a dearth of good reads over here and the potential market is huger (sic)!

O Scale Magazine is an exception - which suffered a big loss with the death of Joe Giannovario...

Good luck, Bob et al.

Best, Pete.

I bought a copy from Bob himself at S4um and having enjoyed what I have had time to read so far, would like to take out a subscription. However, I can only subscribe nline for twelve months/four copies including the one I already have.   Perhaps Greystar could look at that and either offer the next three copies as one option for those that have bought the inaugural copy, or offer the next four starting at number two.

MRJ operate their subscription service commencing at whatever issue you choose, although they haven't got online ordering yet! I think it is also unlikely that my local model shop will stock it.

Jol

In a leap of faith I purchased a year's sub at S4um and took the first issue with me.  It deserves a more intense read than I have been able to give it so far but first impressions are most encouraging.  I like the style of the magazine very much.  Despite the absence [so far] of Mr Rice it has more than a hint of his Digest about it.  Others may agree that it does not compete with MRJ but complements it.  I think the article on LEDs will have to wait, though, since electronics brings on a mental block!

Chris

I've had a chance to read it now and I was quite impressed. Tony Gee's Buckingham article was what I mostly wanted to read and it didn't disappoint. I had a fairly long conversation with Tony and one of Denny's sons when Leighton Buzzard was first shown at ExpoEM (and was behaving itself well) so it was fascinating to know how the story progressed after that. The LED article was fascinating and a useful reminder of a lot of stuff I'd once known about diodes but long forgotten -like the absolute need for a resistance (or something with resistance)  in series if you want them to go on being diodes after you've connected them to a power source.

Returning to UK railways after a 35 year sojourn with the B&O RR, I subscribed to 2 of the UK journals and last year gave up as they offered little to quicken my pulse - which needs something these days! This magazine has fired my interest in the same way as the US produced Mainline Modeller did many years ago, offering articles by legendary modellers like Jack Work & Al Armitage.

I look forward to seeing the first issue - as with Mainline Modeller though it will then depend on a continuing supply of high quality articles to maintain the standards which readers are already commenting on.

Easy to subscribe too -thanks for the Pay Pal link.

Good luck

Dave Arnold

I think that I may have the first issue into melbourne in a weeks time. I wonder what the rest of the finescale group will think of it. No doubt 2 of the other members who would have been at s4um on Sunday also picked up copies. I guess we will all read and discuss at the next meeting!

Think I might have to get this! I love Roy Link's production work and the rest of the team has a good pedigree.

The question is, do I subscribe or support Sheffield Transport Models. Do report back Mickey.

Like Pete, I wish there was an US equivalent of the calibre of MRJ and this (judging by the enthusiasm show above)

I bought a copy from Bob himself at S4um and having enjoyed what I have had time to read so far, would like to take out a subscription. However, I can only subscribe nline for twelve months/four copies including the one I already have.   Perhaps Greystar could look at that and either offer the next three copies as one option for those that have bought the inaugural copy, or offer the next four starting at number two.

Jol

I was told to place the subscription then phone up to tell them I already have the first one so that the sub starts at issue 2

I think that I may have the first issue into melbourne in a weeks time. I wonder what the rest of the finescale group will think of it. No doubt 2 of the other members who would have been at s4um on Sunday also picked up copies. I guess we will all read and discuss at the next meeting!

My subscription issue arrived in Sydney today after placing my sub last Wednesday night (?). Pretty impressive and so is the magazine. being a GWR modeller i was taken with the Cordon article in particular, but the whole magazine is very nice indeed. Well done to all concerned.

Craig W

• RMweb Gold

My copy arrived this morning!

Simply stunning!

Not difficult to believe when Roy C Link is the production editor and therefore very much in the same vain as Narrow Gauge Review (which I have bought from the first issue).

I've only glanced through this morning, well I was supposed to be working, and looks very interesting.

All the pages and photos a well laid out, making easy to read and all colour photos!

Archived