Finescale Railway Modelling Review. Issue 1, Autumn 2014

Arthur

• 1 month later...

No 2 is at the printer right now and is due out before Christmas. In bed with a bad case of 'flu at the moment (courtesy the children), but as soon as I'm more or less in the land of the living - which I hope will just be a day or two - Tim or I will give a fuller run down on what's inside.

Meanwhile thanks for all the support.

Regards

Bob Barlow

No 2 is at the printer right now and is due out before Christmas. In bed with a bad case of 'flu at the moment (courtesy the children), but as soon as I'm more or less in the land of the living - which I hope will just be a day or two - Tim or I will give a fuller run down on what's inside.

Regards

Bob Barlow

Get better soon, Bob, and just remember, you really do love your children! :-)

Just placed my subscription - I'm hoping I'll get issue No 1. Can you let me know?

Thanks

Phil

• RMweb Gold

Only just come across this thread.

Very glad to see a magazine of this type. One of the downsides to the amazing quantity and quality of ready-to-run models over the last few years is that many of the mainstream magazines have simply not found the space to highlight/champion the small artisan producers that are so necessary to many modellers.

So great to have a magazine now dedicated to this area. Wish them every success.

One of the downsides to the amazing quantity and quality of ready-to-run models over the last few years is that many of the mainstream magazines have simply not found the space to highlight/champion the small artisan producers that are so necessary to many modellers.

I don't wish to distract from Bob's topic but I feel I should address that point. Only a few minutes ago I've prompted a 'cottage industry' to let us have further details so they can be included in our news section and it has to be said that many of said artisans aren't very good at outbound communications to mags. If we happen across something interesting we'll make an approach but often it's a case of Rumsfeld's unknown unknowns.

Regards

Bob Barlow

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.

Fashionably late to the party as always, but I finally got around to ordering a copy of Issue 1 last Friday & it was in my sweaty mitt by the following Monday - can't ask for better than that!

I've not had a chance to really sit down & digest it properly yet, but first impressions are VERY favourable, & like many others have noted, Buckingham is looking wonderful :)

• 6 months later...

Today I was wondering when issue 4 of Finescale Review was due to hit my door mat. So I checked their website. Unfortunately, all there is, is an obituary for Bob Barlow who sadly died on May 15. It seems he was the main force behind Greystar Publications. So, rather than send another email to Greystar that probably asks the same as most of the others I thought I'd ask the question on here. Does anyone knows when, or even if, issue 4 of Finescale Reveiw will be published?

Regards,

David

I believe that issue 4 was/is pretty much completed though it certainly has not been published.

The Greystar team was essentially Bob, Tim Shackleton and Roy Link. Bob owned Greystar and was very much the driving force behind the Review, and its future remains unclear. His death after a very short illness has, understandably, left the team not only shocked and saddened, but with some difficult decisions.

Updates, as they arise, will no doubt appear on the website and be reported here, and elsewhere, too.

Hi folks,

does anyone know if there is an issue 3

I paid for an issue back in early May but never received it but in view of the recent passing of Bob Barlow, I don't wish to pursue it further,I guess someone may contact me at some point down the line.

Does anyone know if the magazine will continue at some stage?

cheers

Peter

There is an issue 3, hopefully, at some stage, the team will be able to resolve outstanding matters like your own.

As I posted above, the future of the magazine is on hold. The owner of a small business has died rather suddenly, those left behind have a lot on their hands at the moment.

I've just looked on the NGR&IRMR website and there is an announcement that its production has passed back to Roy C Link.

There is also a comment that "With great regret we announce the closure of Bob's other railway magazine, Finescale Modelling Review, that was launched only last year."

Thanks for that update Keith,

Here is the link;

http://www.greystarpublications.com/bobobit/

Not surprising in some ways, it was Bob who wanted to expand out into standard gauge railway modelling, Roy has always been the man behind the Narrow Gauge and Industrial Railway Modelling Review.

We can only wonder how the Finescale Review might have developed, following it's promising opening, had Bob not been so suddenly taken.

• Administrators

A great shame about FMR. However, I would recomend anyone interested, try a copy of NG&I instead. While it might not be standard gauge, there is a lot of very inspirational modelling to be found in there.

Aside from any legalities may I suggest that it would be best to accept that unfortunately circumstances mean it's impossible for it happen and put it down to very sad and circumstances beyond reasonable control.

A great shame about FMR. However, I would recomend anyone interested, try a copy of NG&I instead. While it might not be standard gauge, there is a lot of very inspirational modelling to be found in there.

You'll find the odd bit of (industrial) standard gauge in there....!

I've not had number three, which may or may not yet arrive. (Hopefully it will).

I also took out a yearly sub, my first for a magazine ever.

Rather than a refund, I'd prefer it if my outstanding funds were donated to cancer research.

Archived