C&M Models/Dapol ScotRail 'Saltire' 156 in 'N' gauge

Mike at C&M

Looking at the previously posted prototype photos by Adam Warr, it looks like the roof black area extends right to the cab front, rather than just being on the ribbed areas (presumable it also extends in a similar way at the other end of each coach).

Also, it looks (though it's not 100% clear) like the inner coach ends (where the datas panels and C3 classification etc) are black in reality rather than blue.

These areas may be worth a check, but it's looking pretty nice otherwise!

Cheers,
Alan

Looking at the previously posted prototype photos by Adam Warr, it looks like the roof black area extends right to the cab front, rather than just being on the ribbed areas (presumable it also extends in a similar way at the other end of each coach).

It does seem to be the case that if the roof is blue, the area above the cab is blue.  But if the roof is a different colour (I'd say grey rather than black), that colour is also the colour above the cab roof:

All blue:

3359581405_979794984a_z.jpgClass 156: 156494 Scotrail MetroCentre by emdjt42, on Flickr

All grey:

4901137529_ee2f58c190_z.jpg156513 Glasgow Central 040810 by Dan86401, on Flickr

And on 156 512, I'd say it's all grey:

4845206987_e70c07ed9c_z.jpgCarlisle_038 - 30 July 2010 by John Oram, on Flickr

Edited by BR(S)
  • Like 1

Hi Mike,

3 lights vs 2 lights on the Wipac clusters.....and blue cab roof vs grey cab roof.

This unit has been in Saltire livery for some time so has probably has several iterations of the livery. However, as you are going for the absence of Gaelic ( which I don't know if this unit has or hasn't), then I suggest an earlier interpretation of the livery. There does need to be a yellow bar just down from the top of the cab windows where the windscreen wiper is mounted. apart from that it is looking superb.....

Any hints on a delivery date.....

Regards,

Stu from EGDL.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

It is looking very good, but I would say the horizontal yellow bar that splits the cab windscreen panes is far more important to correct than altering the roof.  It is very noticeable as it's a contrasting colour and the face is what our attention gravitates towards.

Don't get me wrong - it would be nice to have the roof as accurate as you can make it - but for me those cab windows are the number one priority.

cheers

Ben A.

Thank you to everyone for their comments about the livery details. The fact that all comments relate to details means that we have the basics correct.

The main comment has been with regards to the bar across the front windscreens where the wipers are positioned. This isn't there because the front of our livery sample has no glazing in it! The left hand window also has an overhead warning flash within it.

The roof on 156.512 may be unique, but we are doing a specific unit. At the front of the car, it comes right the way to the edge of the full yellow end, a close scrutiny of the roof at the inside end shows the black finishing at the end of the ribbing, the smooth area at the car is blue right the way across.

Comment has also been made about the alignment of the "ScotRail" writing and its; alignment compared to the doors open warning light. It is not the same on both cars when looking at the complete unit from one side. One car, has the 'o' in ScotRail under the warning light, the other car has the writing offset to the right hand side of the light.

One final point I would appreciate guidance on is the blanking out of one of the smaller bodyside windows. The final photograph below shows a blanked out window at the cab end of car No. 52512. However, I made the error of not photographing the entire bodysides of both cars on this side, due to the platform.

Can anyone please confirm, or deny, that there is only one window in the unit blanked out like this.

As for release date, it is likely to be early Spring, but I hope that there me an outside chance that they may be released by the time of the Glasgow SEC show at the end of February.

post-7003-0-69027100-1417203930_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-54140400-1417204105.jpg

post-7003-0-12475700-1417204499.jpg

• Like 2

One final point I would appreciate guidance on is the blanking out of one of the smaller bodyside windows. The final photograph below shows a blanked out window at the cab end of car No. 52512. However, I made the error of not photographing the entire bodysides of both cars on this side, due to the platform.

Can anyone please confirm, or deny, that there is only one window in the unit blanked out like this.

If memory serves its the first small window on both sides and both ends that at blanked out, one for the toilet and the other for the luggage/bike racks. I'll be heading up to Falkirk tomorrow so I can grab a few photos while in central if that would help?

Ok this could get complicated. I'm sitting on a 156 at Queen Street at the moment so thought I would help out.

In one end the windows are blocked where the toilet is located. The other side of that end is a clear window.

The middle sides are all clear

The other end has a shutter over one. And the other is cover by the cycle rack.

Gordon

To anyone who has to settle on the livery details for a model, you now have my greatest sympathy!

I have just been down to Carlisle station, with the livery samples, to answer a few specific questions on the livery details. And I have come away with more doubt, then when I walked on to the platform.

Today's unit was 156.501, and it was sufficiently dirty on top to not be able to tell what was painted black, and what was painted blue.

Whereas 156.512 had one blanked out window, the toilet window, 156.501 had two blanked out windows - the toilet and the vestibule in the other car.

The overhead warning panel that is in the windscreen of 156.512, is not there on 156.501.

The main reason for going was to compare the blue colouring of the livery sample with the 12 inches to the foot version. What became immediately apparent was that where the vinyls are applied, it changes the background dark blue colour slightly, although this is not noticeable at distance.

So the final decisions on the livery have been made, and these will be passed on to Dapol

• Like 3

My attendance at Glasgow show will be as a paying customer, rather than a trader.

However, I have received an offer that if the 156s are available by then, someone will be offering them for sale at the show on my behalf. I hope to get a provisional delivery date in the next few days.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

As the Wets Highlands in N is my new garage project, just taken the plunge and pre-ordered one of these.  Look forward to receiving it! 

[No hurry to send it though, the layout isn't built yet by a long stretch!!!]  :jester:

• 1 month later...

If all goes to plan, the livery sample bodies should be on display on the "Model Rail" stand at the Model Rail Scotland exhibition at the Glasgow SEC this weekend.

For those who look at these, you are asked to note that the blue bodyside dots will be lighter on the final version.

All being well, we are a few weeks away from the 156 becoming available.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still haven't built the branch line for it to run to and from yet.  The station bay platform and point work off the main line is in but that is as far as it goes so far so no hurry....

As promised, some photographs of the livery samples. There are some obvious things missing, such as the chassis and corridor connections, but you will get a flavour of what the final model will look like.

The two bodies sitting one on top of the other are to show the difference in the colour of the light blue dots on the bodywork. Even though we used the correct RAL colouring, they were not as obvious as they should have been, at least under artificial light. However, the difference is not as striking in the natural light that the picture was taken in.

post-7003-0-60012300-1425590927_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-96549700-1425590935_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-57831300-1425590937_thumb.jpg

post-7003-0-74377400-1425590938.jpg

post-7003-0-91459700-1425590939_thumb.jpg

Edited by 87029
  • Like 2