Kirkby Luneside

Physicsman

• RMweb Premium

You have done some seriously good modelling Jeff. Enjoy your break and return refreshed and ready. to complete a very nice station building

Derek

Derek, thanks for the encouragement. I have to admit that, although my scalpel and glue have gone into hibernation for a few days, I've been looking at images of station gable ends etc.

But, as I've said before, the planning is just as much fun as the doing.

Just going out for a walk. It's a sunny day in Cumbria, for a change!

Jeff

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine will only go outside ONE DAY A YEAR, that's the one when it DOESN'T RAIN. hahhaahh :no:

Probably true, Andy. But I've always had a "build it permanently" mindset, and that means inside and fixed. Two or three boards that can move about means I don't need a "fixed" home - and makes accessing all sides of the boards much easier. A lot to think about...

Keep up the "corruption".

Jeff

Probably true, Andy. But I've always had a "build it permanently" mindset, and that means inside and fixed. Two or three boards that can move about means I don't need a "fixed" home - and makes accessing all sides of the boards much easier. A lot to think about...

Keep up the "corruption".

Jeff

post-9335-0-77169900-1521906612_thumb.jpg

:sungum:

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice pic, Andy. Is that one of your recently acquired locos?

Looking at today's Penybont pics, it says a lot about the scale when you can use small pieces of slate to create a realistic bank-side effect.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

I've just been on Mike's Dent thread and I'm a bit jealous as he's messing around with landscaping.

It'll be weeks before I get the chance as the buildings are going to take a lot of time.

If you've not looked, head south along the line to Dent...

Jeff

Hi Jeff, The Jinty came about October last year, and has featured on a couple of Penybont Pics and Videos as well as on our Clubs Dornoch Layout last year.  That pic was taken on KM and then the foreground BODGED.

The Slate has been put to good use, again an idea gleaned from the Dornoch Branch Layout.

Keep the faith, your buildings are worth the workload.

• RMweb Premium

Andy, wasn't sure about the locos as I thought you'd got rid of most of your O gauge stuff. It does look nice against the background. If only there was space to build a large O gauge layout with a passenger service!

Anyway, back to reality. Back home tomorrow so I'll have a play in the Bunker when I get chance. Then it's time to order some track for the fiddle yard and then get on with buildings.

Jeff

Andy, wasn't sure about the locos as I thought you'd got rid of most of your O gauge stuff. It does look nice against the background. If only there was space to build a large O gauge layout with a passenger service!

:O 

Anyway, back to reality. Back home tomorrow so I'll have a play in the Bunker when I get chance. Then it's time to order some track for the fiddle yard and then get on with buildings.

Jeff

Do keep up Jeff, co blimey mate, your 12 Months behind, :no:  :no:  I DID GET RID OF IT ALL, :stinker: then the Jinty came out and I fell in love all over again, :sungum: then ANOTHER trip to Jintymans in Towen :scared:  :senile: and it all snowballed from there. Res-erected Beale St, converted it to Penybont Sidings, and NOW to Penybont, hahhaha. :no:  :no:

You need a Ferrari to keep up with me mate.

• RMweb Premium

Do keep up Jeff, co blimey mate, your 12 Months behind, :no:  :no:  I DID GET RID OF IT ALL, :stinker: then the Jinty came out and I fell in love all over again, :sungum: then ANOTHER trip to Jintymans in Towen :scared:  :senile: and it all snowballed from there. Res-erected Beale St, converted it to Penybont Sidings, and NOW to Penybont, hahhaha. :no:  :no:

You need a Ferrari to keep up with me mate.

Eeeeeghh.....the life of the millionaire O gauge modellers...

I have to admit that the Jinty (Dapol? I know bu99er all about O gauge) looks the part and got good reviews.

It'll be nice to play with some larger-sized "toys"!!

Jeff

Eeeeeghh.....the life of the millionaire O gauge modellers...

I have to admit that the Jinty (Dapol? I know bu99er all about O gauge) looks the part and got good reviews.

It'll be nice to play with some larger-sized "toys"!!

Jeff 

I will spend less on an O Gauge BLT that I ever would on KM, Just look at your Sutton 24, for that quality and sound in YOUR whole fleet it would be a Mortgage job. My Jinty and 08 each owes about £270 inc Sound, the Pannier about £300 two coaches,(more than enough for a BLT £400 and a dozen Wagons.

• RMweb Premium

I will spend less on an O Gauge BLT that I ever would on KM, Just look at your Sutton 24, for that quality and sound in YOUR whole fleet it would be a Mortgage job. My Jinty and 08 each owes about £270 inc Sound, the Pannier about £300 two coaches,(more than enough for a BLT £400 and a dozen Wagons.

Very true. If there's a Sutton 25, or anything S&C related, that'll be around £400 each...

It's amazing how much I've spent on materials alone, for KL2. Probably at least £500 just on static grass - and there won't be tons of it on a shunting plank!

It's a good thing we take a lot of time on our layouts as it allows us to spread the cost.

Back to KL2, I'll be needing 20 yards of EM track, a single slip and a Y point to do the conversion. There'll be plenty of left and right hand turnouts, along with Cobalts, when the fiddle yard is dismantled.

Jeff

• Like 1

Very true. If there's a Sutton 25, or anything S&C related, that'll be around £400 each...

It's amazing how much I've spent on materials alone, for KL2. Probably at least £500 just on static grass - and there won't be tons of it on a shunting plank!

It's a good thing we take a lot of time on our layouts as it allows us to spread the cost.

Back to KL2, I'll be needing 20 yards of EM track, a single slip and a Y point to do the conversion. There'll be plenty of left and right hand turnouts, along with Cobalts, when the fiddle yard is dismantled.

Jeff

Yes mate, add in the DAS, Ballast, Timber, Track , Point Motors and Points etc and it's a small fortune, good job my calculators broken.

Edited by Andrew P

• RMweb Premium

I've just arrived home. Spent much of the journey back thinking of station-building gable ends and brickwork!

Bit sad, really!

Something will resume in the next day or so.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Trust you watched the road whilst thinking of gable ends etc  !

Probably just as well it was 2am and I never saw a vehicle on my side of the road for the last 55 miles of the journey.

I did almost hit a barn owl which was sat in the middle of the road just outside Barnard Castle!

Jeff

• Like 1

Probably just as well it was 2am and I never saw a vehicle on my side of the road for the last 55 miles of the journey.

I did almost hit a barn owl which was sat in the middle of the road just outside Barnard Castle!

Jeff

I hit a Pigeon once at about 50 MPH in a Kia Rio, It DEMOLISHED the front bumper and smashed the spot lamp, not built to last forever, hahah.

• RMweb Premium

I hit a Pigeon once at about 50 MPH in a Kia Rio, It DEMOLISHED the front bumper and smashed the spot lamp, not built to last forever, hahah.

And I guess the pigeon lived to fight again?

Just be grateful you weren't driving a Moscvitch. The whole car would have gone!

Reminds me of a biologist friend of mine who bought a brand new FSO in 1988. It had a cracked front windscreen when he collected it from the garage....

All the best with your decision-making, Andy.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Update: I've spent a while looking at images of the large S&C buildings and have taken measurements of the block, brick and embellishments on the gable ends.

Next to do is to measure the dimensions of the additional section of station building (right side, as viewed from the platform). I'll get round to marking and cutting this out of 4mm ply in the next few days.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Here's a couple of images to show what's on the agenda.

The "annexe" at one end of the station building:

post-13778-0-86193700-1522352381.jpg

The brick and stonework on the bay fascias:

post-13778-0-58223100-1522352405_thumb.jpg

All measured up, ready for work to start tomorrow. 

Jeff

It looks as if you have got enough to keep you busy over Easter there Jeff, at least the pattern on those ends is in a stone block which should make it easier than if it was in the stonework itself, I think I would cut the shapes and drill holes in them but I'm sure you have your own method all thought out.

Are you going to have a go at those windows later around the door, the ones with the little diamond in them far right, they look a challenge.

This will be a fine looking model when complete and well worth the time spent on it. :good:.

Jim

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if you have got enough to keep you busy over Easter there Jeff, at least the pattern on those ends is in a stone block which should make it easier than if it was in the stonework itself, I think I would cut the shapes and drill holes in them but I'm sure you have your own method all thought out.

Are you going to have a go at those windows later around the door, the ones with the little diamond in them far right, they look a challenge.

This will be a fine looking model when complete and well worth the time spent on it. :good:.

Jim

Evening Jim.

The first image is interesting as the end of the annexe shown isn't in its original form. The right hand door is a replacement - the new door lintel is a giveaway. I think this area was a coal store, so I'll model it with its original "coal flap".

As for those complicated windows..... "Challenge" isn't the word! I can replicate them to a degree using 20thou microstrip, but attaching it using superglue will be difficult. Odds are, I'll just have to simplify things and invoke Rule 1.

As for the gable end "patterns". Well, the stone block they sit in is 9mm wide max, so I'll draw out the "clubs" shape inside a piece of 60thou and drill out the basic shape using a small hand drill, then smooth the edges. It could be fun.....ummmm....and there's a few of them! 

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Have a good weekend mate, ENJOY your modelling.

After a week without getting my hands dirty (or sticky, more likely), I'm looking forward to a bit of plastic work.

First job in the morning will be to cut the 4mm ply, with corresponding window and door holes, ready to form the annexe shell.

In the meantime, YOU enjoy playing with your latest O gauge toy(s). You'll be waiting for Larry's parcel like a 5 year old waits for Father Christmas!!

Jeff