Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Beautiful work by an obviously well trained a disciplined electrician/modeller. Piece of art in itself that is.

Phil

Thanks Phil, although I wouldn't call myself an artist (some would call me a p*ss artist though). I'm OK with anything that has straight lines and square corners, but beyond that I've no chance. I think Pugin, Ruskin and Morris were on the mark with Arts and Crafts. All I've done is to craft the frame by putting the bits together. The credit for any Art goes to the designer, Harold Fanshawe at Modratec.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Phil, although I wouldn't call myself an artist (some would call me a p*ss artist though). I'm OK with anything that has straight lines and square corners, but beyond that I've no chance. I think Pugin, Ruskin and Morris were on the mark with Arts and Crafts. All I've done is to craft the frame by putting the bits together. The credit for any Art goes to the designer, Harold Fanshawe at Modratec.

Hey Grahame, I hope you weren't "agreeing" with the bit in brackets...

• RMweb Premium

I didn't do much in the railway room this weekend as I was busy doing a number of other things, not least our monthly BRMA meeting at Charles's yesterday. Very enjoyable.

I did some desk-based work though, which revolved around updating the schedule to include the four extra short clay trains. I know that a number of you like such things, so here it is:

wtt mid cornwall 1952-1957-1958 draft 9 initial plus railbus, clay master.xls

When I finally went out to the railway room this afternoon I loaded the new train describer file on to the computer, ready for the next running session in a fortnight. I also changed out the Tortoise on 31A points for a Cobalt, so that I can let Rodney have back the two Tortoises that he loaned me last year.

There was still a little time left, so I used it productively by laying the first two yards of Paddington Loops 8 to 13.

20180708002Paddingtonloops8to13started.JPG.ac7444473b779e3732355dce77ad4fa0.JPG

Here they are, with the spare locos parked on them temporarily so that I can lay the remaining two-and-a bit yards another time. After that I'll fit the droppers and feeders then move spare stock across from Penzance before laying Penzance loops 2 to 7 in the same way.

All these loops will sit in splendid isolation until the points are laid to connect them to the rest of the layout. Some of these points will come from the old St Enodoc layout but about a third of them will be new build. That will all wait until I finish the three-quarter scissors to complete tracklaying at Porthmellyn Road.

Edited by St Enodoc
images restored
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I do like that WTT file - a top notch example of a way to do it for a working layout which has a healthy mix of train types and the work they will perform at various stations plus the balances for the stock etc.

Thanks Mike. As you can tell, it's derived from a much larger file that I update as I add more track and hence more trains. If you're interested I'll PM you a copy of the full version - that will of course appear here eventually but not for a few years yet.

John,

How appropriate that I am reading your update.from The Atlantic Hotel in Newquay having just returned from a quick visit to the Kernow Model Centre.So called heat wave conditions here since we arrived in the UK on June 22

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

John,

How appropriate that I am reading your update.from The Atlantic Hotel in Newquay having just returned from a quick visit to the Kernow Model Centre.So called heat wave conditions here since we arrived in the UK on June 22

Very nice Ron. Just a short walk from Towan Head, which is where Pentowan, the name of my fictitious version of Newquay, comes from.

I suppose that if it's a heatwave the temperature must have crept out of the 20s...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

We've been getting up around the 28C mark temperature wise and to be  blunt it feels a darn sight hotter than Sydney did at 42C, but it's well behind inland QLD where hot meant bl**dy hot.  Lithgow on a sunny Saturday afternoon strangely didn't feel as hot but i was more interested in trying to find somewhere to have a bit of grub than worry about the temperature.

• Like 1

Kellybegs, it's now warmer than a couple of week ago... we are getting in to double figures! As they say in Melbourne, "Don't like the weather give it 5 minutes it will change...." I have read a number of times that the academics think that Melbourne has 6 seasons. No idea of what they are though.... I just expect it to change. 

I also know it is getting warmer my crazy dog (see the avatar)  is sleeping outside in his kennel again.... it was too cold and he wanted to be inside. (infact he is calming down now as he is 5years old and enjoying being with the family!) 

• RMweb Premium

My wife is in Melbourne at the moment and says it's b****y cold.

Kellybegs, it's now warmer than a couple of week ago... we are getting in to double figures! As they say in Melbourne, "Don't like the weather give it 5 minutes it will change...." I have read a number of times that the academics think that Melbourne has 6 seasons. No idea of what they are though.... I just expect it to change. 

I also know it is getting warmer my crazy dog (see the avatar)  is sleeping outside in his kennel again.... it was too cold and he wanted to be inside. (infact he is calming down now as he is 5years old and enjoying being with the family!) 

Well, there must be some sort of microclimate in Blackburn, as it was 9 degrees at Tullamarine when I arrived this morning and not much better in the CBD.

• RMweb Premium

Well, there must be some sort of microclimate in Blackburn, as it was 9 degrees at Tullamarine when I arrived this morning and not much better in the CBD.

Hope you were wearing shorts and t shirt......

Not so. Down around 6C early but then warm sun so it was quite pleasant, then max for yesterday was 11.5C in Donvale, same as city, lowest max for quite some time according to Paul Higgins.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No action in the railway room at all this weekend unfortunately. Most of yesterday was taken up with a BRMA National Committee meeting and then erecting some new dining room chairs, while today involved erecting the table that goes with the chairs. The hardest part of all that was getting the old table out through the door and into the carport, ready to be picked up by a charity.

Next Saturday we have a running session, which will include the short clay train for the first time (bringing us up to a total of 48 train movements compared with the 26 we had at the first of our regular sessions at the beginning of last year).

• Like 8