Mid-Cornwall Lines - 1950s Western Region in 00

St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

We are off to Carbis Bay next week flying from Leeds/ Bradford to Newquay....think that’s in a Shackleton!

Then you will land at the former RAF St Mawgan, which is the same as my fictional RAF Lanherne.

Where are you staying at Carbis Bay - Tregenna Castle?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

An Avro Shackleton was RAF St Mawgan’s ‘Gate Guardian’.

The boys from 8 Sqn at Lossie used to visit Edinburgh from time to time. Their description of the Shack was "10,000 rivets flying together in close formation".

There was a definite (friendly?) rivalry between them and the Nimrod crews, to the extent that a favourite slogan was "8 slow screws are better than 4 quick bl0w j0bs".

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

We are off to Carbis Bay next week flying from Leeds/ Bradford to Newquay....think that’s in a Shackleton!

well, it will have propellers but only the two not 8....

• Like 3

Congrats on completion of the Modratec frame, John. Been following with interest cos ...

post-16151-0-02764500-1525043581_thumb.jpg

Here's the one I did some years ago for my Dad's layout. 'Only' 36 levers on this one, the whole installation is mechanical, ie the mechanism to the points and signals as well - you can see a few bits of evidence of this in the background. I actually amended a few parts of the interlocking as I went on as Harold had (correctly) designed it with sequential locking of the points - but that defeated a couple of aspects of how father wanted to actually operate his layout!

I sent some pictures of the build to Harold as I went along and he has put them on his website as one of the articles.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Boskerris Hotel which is above the station.

https://www.boskerrishotel.co.uk

Hire car from Newquay airport....might manage a detour via Kernow Models, but we are with friends which is why we are flying rather than all day on the train.

How can they be friends if they don't like spending all day on a train?

Edit: Kernow Models is a must, as is the Bodmin and Wenford. Lappa Valley is fun but don't bother with the Mevagissey Model Railway.

Edited by St Enodoc

• RMweb Premium

Congrats on completion of the Modratec frame, John. Been following with interest cos ...

attachicon.gifAberdeen gantry 221.JPG

Here's the one I did some years ago for my Dad's layout. 'Only' 36 levers on this one, the whole installation is mechanical, ie the mechanism to the points and signals as well - you can see a few bits of evidence of this in the background. I actually amended a few parts of the interlocking as I went on as Harold had (correctly) designed it with sequential locking of the points - but that defeated a couple of aspects of how father wanted to actually operate his layout!

I sent some pictures of the build to Harold as I went along and he has put them on his website as one of the articles.

Thanks Graham. Yes, your article was one of my many reference documents during the build. May I ask please what you used as a lubricant (ooer missus...) and also what did you use to fix the numbers to the levers?

• RMweb Premium

How can they be friends if they don't like spending all day on a train?

Edit: Kernow Models is a must, as is the Bodmin and Wenford. Lappa Valley is fun but don't bother with the Mevagissey Model Railway.

Might have got away with it if we had been staying longer. Think this our 5th visit to The Boskerris. A walk is on the cards, either Carbis Bay to Zenner or Hayle. Went to the Mevagissey railway probably 10 years ago.....kept us dry as it was pouring!

Thanks Graham. Yes, your article was one of my many reference documents during the build. May I ask please what you used as a lubricant (ooer missus...) and also what did you use to fix the numbers to the levers?

I'll have to ask my Dad as he did both of those things!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Might have got away with it if we had been staying longer. Think this our 5th visit to The Boskerris. A walk is on the cards, either Carbis Bay to Zenner or Hayle. Went to the Mevagissey railway probably 10 years ago.....kept us dry as it was pouring!

That's about the only good reason I can think of.

To clarify, when the model railway first opened under the ownership of the Howeson family it was excellent but on my last visit in 2010 I was extremely disappointed. It might have improved since.

• RMweb Gold

To clarify, when the model railway first opened under the ownership of the Howeson family it was excellent but on my last visit in 2010 I was extremely disappointed. It might have improved since.

On  my one and only visit to Mevagissey - last year - the model railway was closed so we went to the aquarium instead.  We arrived by boat, and yes - it did rain (hence an extended visit to the aquarium ;) )

post-6859-0-83834900-1525108627_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Mevagissey was a life-changing place for Sherry and me in 2014. As a result of a phonecall she received in the car park, she changed husbands!

Wow! I dare not ask who the call was from...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Mevagissey Model Railway is somewhere to take the kids on a rainy day, think ‘fun’ layout rather than prototypical modelling. Some interesting old models in cabinets. The attached shop stocks a rather limited range of Peco, Hornby/Bachmann, but plenty of Thomas stuff. I visited late last year with my 3 year old granddaughter...

There's precious few train shops/museums anywhere these days so to come across one at a holiday venue such as Mevagissey (aka Gisseyloo) which has been there for quite a while, is remarkable.

Brian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Wow! I dare not ask who the call was from...

The call was from Sherry's then-husband, PhD and all. Their daughter had rung him the night before to impart her fear that her mum was with me. Sherry proved that was not the case to his satisfaction. But the confrontation caused her to think where her future lay, and decided it was with me. I had been widowed a couple of years before. We have yet to regret her choice. 

The call was from Sherry's then-husband, PhD and all. Their daughter had rung him the night before to impart her fear that her mum was with me. Sherry proved that was not the case to his satisfaction. But the confrontation caused her to think where her future lay, and decided it was with me. I had been widowed a couple of years before. We have yet to regret her choice.

Our story began at school where we were vaguely acquainted. If it were to be adapted for TV, it would not be believed. Friends United has much for which to answer!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Our story began at school where we were vaguely acquainted. If it were to be adapted for TV, it would not be believed. Friends United has much for which to answer!

Blimey, this thread's turning into The Archers.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

I was watching three Slaters Toplight kits on eBay earlier this week but I lost interest when the bidding got into three figures. I was astonished to see tonight that they had each gone for over GBP 200 - yes, each! The only one I was really interested in, the all-third, went for GBP 300!

Perhaps I should sell my few kits and use the proceeds to commission some ready-made ones...

V. Meldrew.

• RMweb Gold

I think that route is FlyBe and therefore one of those twin-prop Embraers.

You might actually have found the Shackleton more confortable. I liked FlyBe Southampton - Perpignan when they used the BAe146 jets but the journey is pretty painful in the Embraer.

• RMweb Gold

I DON'T BELIEVE IT!

I was watching three Slaters Toplight kits on eBay earlier this week but I lost interest when the bidding got into three figures. I was astonished to see tonight that they had each gone for over GBP 200 - yes, each! The only one I was really interested in, the all-third, went for GBP 300!

Perhaps I should sell my few kits and use the proceeds to commission some ready-made ones...

V. Meldrew.

Seller has obviously seen thread on here that Slater's are about to restart production. Buyer clearly has not! Serve him right for not being an RMWeb member.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I think that route is FlyBe and therefore one of those twin-prop Embraers.

You might actually have found the Shackleton more confortable. I liked FlyBe Southampton - Perpignan when they used the BAe146 jets but the journey is pretty painful in the Embraer.

It was a Bombardier Q400-8 both ways, glad my experience with class 377’s wasn’t needed.