Heljan O Gauge Class 37 - new versions being discussed

Cliff Williams

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Digital

Hi looking for a Class 37 Green small yellow stripe with sound fitted any ideas. Duncan

Try Tower Models. They can fit DCC sound as well.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly plodding on with my 37 191 -

post-8271-0-90795400-1492337810_thumb.jpg

PH buffer beams and JLTRT buffers, I decided to keep the original windows, which fit a lot better if you cut them into individual panes and file out the openings. As you can see mine came with one bogie side with yellow axle boxes. Anybody missing one?

Detailing the bogies is the next job. Kev.

• Like 6

attachicon.gifIMG_1267.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1292.JPGattachicon.gifIMG_1291.JPGheres mine after some nice castings from JLTRT have been added plus some etches from Pete Harvey. I've also added some additional Pipe runs from

0.5mm wire

Very impressive Steve.

Can I get your recommendation regarding the best fixative for attaching the 37s frost grill? Am slightly concerned that cyano may leave marks. Was thinking about dry clear PVA?

Cheers

John

• 2 months later...

Hi. Can anyone shed any light on how the snowploughs are supposed to be fitted to this latest 37? I'm assuming the rear of the buffer shanks are somehow intended to pass through the two holes moulded in each set of ploughs and 'trap' them in position, but as the holes in the ploughs are larger than the diameter of the buffer shanks, and therefore completely useless in that respect, I'm a bit mystified!

Thanks in advance

Phil

• 5 weeks later...

Hello. For those that are interested (not many judging by the total lack of responses to my earlier post #161) Heljan have once again managed a schoolboy error by drilling the holes in the Class 37 snowplough brackets larger than the head of the pin that's designed to hold them in place. I assume it applies to all centre headcode liveries that were offered recently.

Howes have spare snowploughs (in grey primer so require painting yellow) which have the correct diameter holes drilled by the factory.

Hello. For those that are interested (not many judging by the total lack of responses to my earlier post #161) Heljan have once again managed a schoolboy error by drilling the holes in the Class 37 snowplough brackets larger than the head of the pin that's designed to hold them in place. I assume it applies to all centre headcode liveries that were offered recently.

Howes have spare snowploughs (in grey primer so require painting yellow) which have the correct diameter holes drilled by the factory.

Thanks Phil.

You had the same question that I had and I was watching and waiting for an answer but nothing came!

I'll get in touch with Howes.

Thanks again

Colin

The hole is intended to be oversize so the buffer pin passes through so the buffets still work. You should glue them in place behind the buffer beam. And before you say it yes I know that makes taking the body off, er, difficult.

Thanks Brian but I'll go with the proper fix of swapping the ploughs for items with the correct sized holes. I found that only the bogie side frames needed removing in order to free the buffer shanks: the body stayed put!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

I have the Railfreight liveried version to finish as 37.674 (to be the Prime Mover for the Q13 Inspection Saloon) and suffered the non-removable screw problem

post-6951-0-39993300-1502866700.jpg

which I resolved by using an end milling bit in my Proxxon drill and a call to Howes at Oxford is on the cards for tomorrow to get a replacement (The Railway chap only does Monday and Thursday)

The reason for the body removal is to install a re-blown Loksound 3.5XL.

post-6951-0-50839600-1502866689.jpg

which requires not only a carrier piece but also spacer pieces at each end to allow for the 'under gubbins' to fit.

todays task is to extend/alter the Heljan wiring and install the speaker in the fuel tanks.

Once it is back up and running, comes the delicate operation of removing the nose radiators and replacing them with Pete Harvey's version - the jury is still out regarding the skirt issues. There are also issues with the LEDs appearing not to be in line with the lens on the blocked up headcode panel. Headlights will also be fitted.

regards

Mike

Edited by Ressaldar

• RMweb Gold

Just interested to know if anyone on here has purchased and used the DJH 37/4 detailing pack aimed specifically for the latest Heljan Class 37

Brian Daniels post number 2914 (Brian's 7mm workbench - found in Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding) covers the DJH 37/4 detailing kit.  As always, he makes it look effortless, and his results are superb.  I have just acquired the kit, but have yet to tackle it.   

Edited by uk_pm

Brian Daniels post number 2914 (Brian's 7mm workbench - found in Kitbuilding & Scratchbuilding) covers the DJH 37/4 detailing kit.  As always, he makes it look effortless, and his results are superb.  I have just acquired the kit, but have yet to tackle it.   

Much appreciated  Thank you

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Re the new centre headcode 37 - does anyone have a photo of the whole chassis wth the body off? or can answer my question below.

What I am interested in is .....are the lights for the centre headcode panel at each end fixed to the chassis like in the newer Heljan O guage locos? On my older Heljan split headcode 37 the headcode boxes & tail lights are operated at the end of various wires which fit/plug into the said units.

Is the new centre headcode along the later design (hopefully as that simplifies things I believe). I suspect it is and I note the motor doesn't stick up into the cab as much as it does on the split headcode version so a few things have changed in the newer design.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Deltic17

• 1 year later...