After looking at my previous photos and finding a few prototype shots of the Regional Railways BSK that I'm attempting to model I realised that I'd put the distributor on the wrong end.... so while I was swapping it around I also remembered that i had some distributors which were intended for some PTA tippers. These are now fitted and the size does look a bit better.

post-8033-0-28947900-1525017653_thumb.jpg

(For some reason they're yellow but i remembered them being white!

All wiring is 0.5mm wire. The next time i might use a thinner wire but think it looks ok.

post-8033-0-34667900-1525017642_thumb.jpg

I've started on the base weathering and using painted the door frames black using capillary action. TBH it looks a little heavy to me whereas the TSO I'm doing along side looks much better. I'm just after a used looking coach so don't want to do much on the sides.

post-8033-0-60183100-1525017663_thumb.jpg

Next up is ETH fittings, which are in clear plastic at the moment. And a few wires (0.33mm & 0.5mm) which have been fitted to suggest something is going on.

post-8033-0-50392900-1525017673_thumb.jpg

I've actually glued a micro magnet in one of the ETH fittings and plan to play with having working connectors - we shall see if that works! If it doesn't I'll fit some wire instead. Not much more to do on the underframe - I've ordered some air brake cylinders from S kits so when they arrive I'll be able to finish off the underframe and fit some steps.

post-8033-0-72467800-1525020070_thumb.jpg

And the interior has been crudely painted - hopefully this won't matter too much when it's all put back together.

cheers

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

As it's nice and sunny I thought I'd paint some grey....

post-8033-0-52768700-1528023033_thumb.jpg

Pleased with how the 56 grey has come out... removed Hornby's green tint with railmatch grey. Also added are air conditioning vents and some lifting covers. Next up will be sorting the side grilles out and I'm getting more tempted to have a go at the front horn grille too.

post-8033-0-50420600-1528023027_thumb.jpg

And when you right mess up a respray.... start again... well in this case it's just the side  which has my first attempt sanded off, re-primed with white and then railmatch grey applied.

post-8033-0-46309400-1528023040_thumb.jpg

Very mild weathering started (this one will intentionally look clean) and a coat of varnish applied - this has really evened out the original finish nicely (especially the logos) and covers where I've removed the previous transfers with T-Cut. It now awaits a new lighting circuit (from express models as life is too short), laser glazing and I might add some wipac light etches to try and improve the front head lights. Oh and remove the GPS thingy from the air horns. Hopefully a nice easy project!

Right off to enjoy the sunshine  :sungum:

Happy Modelling 

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 7

Thanks!

The more I look at the 56 (which end up as 56101 Mutual Improvement) the more I'm tempted with respraying the upper grey as it looks a bit too dark to me. Thing is I'm also thinking of sorting out the front grille so before i know it I'll end up respraying the lot in a harder why they stripping it in the first place. Doh!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Will,

Ive just spent the last hour or so catching up on your thread, awesome work - I dont think Ive hit the "Craftmanship/Clever" button so often!!!  :laugh:

Nice one

Trev :)

Colour is a funny thing.

post-8033-0-90170200-1529074098_thumb.jpg

The 37 has been sprayed with railmatch colours and I'm happy with the two shades. I've just got a fresh rail match bottle and I'm convinced the 50 is too brown despite it being sprayed at the same time as the 56 which looks passable. Both had the same white primer.

I'm definitely going to change the 56's upper grey as that looks too dark. Even the lower grey looks a little brown but think I'll leave that one alone

Hopefully it doesn't rain at the weekend  :sad_mini:

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 3

Hi Guy

That one is supposed to be 149.... one day although it feels like it's trying hard to not be!

Will definitely try another coat of grey as i don't like this first coat. Grilles are from old Lima bodies that have been hacked up.

How's your 149 project going?

Cheers

Will

Hi Will,

I swapped my unrefurbished with Brian for a refurbished in NSE (as the starting shell) and also bought the etched plates from him. I managed to find the transfers for Railfreight general in the end from Replica (at DEMU Showcase). I have replacement fan from Brian (EE) and will fit the windscreens too. All I need now is to get my hands on some castings of the Lima body louvres (or make my own from an old Lima bodyshell). Will possibly try the PHDesigns etch for the lifting lugs.

It's really tempting to start on 50149, but I really need to wait until after Whatley's first public outing (as there are many more jobs to complete first!).

Guy

Edited by lyneux

• 2 weeks later...

I've recently had a pleasant day on the Kent & East Railway which allowed my to have a look into the guards area in a MK1.... and so I've done a few more interior mods;

post-8033-0-96109700-1530191255_thumb.jpg

post-8033-0-23924100-1530191236_thumb.jpg

I've simply cut out the interior windows, added a seat and a few things to suggest a desk and other bits going on. It's all rough and ready but can just be seen when illuminated. Also in the shot is how I've stopped light bleed by sticking a thin bit of black plastikard along the length of the coach which just doesn't foul the interior. 

Now the BSK is beginning to look like a coach;

post-8033-0-37386300-1530191281_thumb.jpg

Lots of detail painting to do, end transfers to add and then some weathering.

post-8033-0-96843000-1530191266_thumb.jpg

I fell out with the glazing of the droplights so have replaced these with 0.5mm lexcon. I don't know why but this coach is the worst of my bunch for glazing and I'm not totally convinced by it.

And it took an age to get it right but have finally got the coach illuminaated;

post-8033-0-33468900-1530191295_thumb.jpg

I'm rather pleased with the level of light and the flicker free units are brilliant. This is hooked up to a decoder so i can also run it switch off in day light.

cheers

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 4

First completed class 60 rolls off the workbench;

post-8033-0-88358400-1530880390_thumb.jpg

60019 Pathfinder Tours with an excellent new set of nameplates from Shawplan. It's had the usual mods and weathering and I've fitted an Express Models lighting kit (which Rob @ express models kindly built using warm white LEDs). Controlled using a Zimo mx633 decoder it means all lights are independently controlled. I've just got to work out the CV setting to dim them slightly and they'll be perfect.

post-8033-0-55308900-1530880434_thumb.jpg

Rather pleased with Shawplan's laserglaze - I find the class 60 a little tricky to fit but when done looks great. Also removed the coupling and replaced with a Kadee thats been fitted to allow the full front plough to be fitted.

post-8033-0-61929800-1530880410_thumb.jpg

Right onto the next one :)

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 8

Very nice 60.

It was that one that got me into trains again in 96 when I saw it roll through Aylesbury in brand new EWS colours

Excellent stuff.

I've always been fond of them ever since my first solo trip to watch trains @ Nottingham station and I can't remember if it was 1989 or 1990. Anyway I remember seeing one sitting in the skeggy bay I guess on test which allowed me to have a very close inspection :)  Looked well modern then!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

What you need to do with the lighting kit on the 60 is make it so after about a second of the loco coming to a stop the headlight goes out as if the driver has put it into engine only (neutral) then just before setting off it comes back on again when he’s put it into forward

What you need to do with the lighting kit on the 60 is make it so after about a second of the loco coming to a stop the headlight goes out as if the driver has put it into engine only (neutral) then just before setting off it comes back on again when he’s put it into forward

Thanks Jim

I never knew that - do the markers stay illuminated?

cheers

Will

Great info Jim. Many thanks!

I'll have a think and see if I can wire that in. The espress kit I've used doesn't use separate functions for independent markers to headlights so may be a little tricky to implement. Always good to have a challenge!

Cheers

Will

Great photo BTW :)

Wow it's hot. 

Thought my 66 was a little clean especially around the roof area... so the underframe and roof have had a good blast with a combination of dark rust, underframe dirt and weathered black

post-8033-0-05542600-1531069136_thumb.jpg

And some oil stains for good measure.... 

post-8033-0-73804800-1531069144_thumb.jpg

I'm beginning to become hopeful that Defiance might end up looking like Defiance! A second rail grey coat and the brown shade has gone. Today I added the flint grey and crisped up the warning yellow

post-8033-0-42951200-1531069154_thumb.jpg

The Grid project has progressed too. I've fallen out with Hornbys attempt at Flint Grey so have resprayed this and I've added a set of Shawplan's front windscreens and sprayed them black. Terrible photo but they do look good in normal view. It's beginning to dawn on me that I'm effectively respraying the whole thing, and as I'm not that good at masking so it'll have been easier to strip and start again!! Anyway it's beginning to look a bit better (well in my eyes).

post-8033-0-54507000-1531069163_thumb.jpg

The windscreens were surprisingly difficult to attach due to my superglue nearly drying instantly in this heat!!

My other Grid didn't want to be left out so I've added the lifting covers and then sprayed parts of the roof, touching in the covers. The paint match isn't perfect but is workable especially when it's weathered.

post-8033-0-37784700-1531069171_thumb.jpg

Need to cool off !!!

Hope you're all having fun in da sun.

cheers

Will

Edited by dj_crisp
  • Like 7

That looks really good

I've recently had a pleasant day on the Kent & East Railway which allowed my to have a look into the guards area in a MK1.... and so I've done a few more interior mods;

attachicon.gif_1140870.JPG

attachicon.gif_1140872.JPG

I've simply cut out the interior windows, added a seat and a few things to suggest a desk and other bits going on. It's all rough and ready but can just be seen when illuminated. Also in the shot is how I've stopped light bleed by sticking a thin bit of black plastikard along the length of the coach which just doesn't foul the interior. 

Now the BSK is beginning to look like a coach;

attachicon.gif_1140875.JPG

Lots of detail painting to do, end transfers to add and then some weathering.

attachicon.gif_1140874.JPG

I fell out with the glazing of the droplights so have replaced these with 0.5mm lexcon. I don't know why but this coach is the worst of my bunch for glazing and I'm not totally convinced by it.

And it took an age to get it right but have finally got the coach illuminaated;

attachicon.gif_1140897.JPG.

I'm rather pleased with the level of light and the flicker free units are brilliant. This is hooked up to a decoder so i can also run it switch off in day light.

cheers

Will

The frustrations of painting/modelling.... masked off Defiance to spray the roof and grilles and despite using really low tack masking tape large portions of the upper grey have lifted off. Aarrrghh. This loco is definitely trying to never be finished!!

And to cap it all my the etch for the roof grille hasn't etched properly so now need to source a new one.

Moan over. At least the weekends sunny and I now have Sunday free following Wednesday :(

The frustrations of painting/modelling.... masked off Defiance to spray the roof and grilles and despite using really low tack masking tape large portions of the upper grey have lifted off. Aarrrghh. This loco is definitely trying to never be finished!!

And to cap it all my the etch for the roof grille hasn't etched properly so now need to source a new one.

Moan over. At least the weekends sunny and I now have Sunday free following Wednesday :(

I totally feel your pain Will. That has happened to me several times. Nothing worse than making significant progress with a paint job only to have it all go wrong with a pain peel or similar.

It's a times like this that I find I just have to walk away from the desk and leave things for a while, take a deep breath and come back after a good rest.

Hope you get it sorted!

Guy

If it’s any consolation, i think I’ve suffered debonding paint with that upper grey (flint grey) more than any other color. Not sure why that is though?

You can reduce the grab on your tape even more by sticking it onto a nice clean sheet of glass , then onto the model. I use a bit of glass that was originally a shelf in a model display cabinet so it’s just about the right length ..

Jon