North Norfolk Rly, not thinking it through?

colin penfold

Steve - thanks, I thought it would probably be something like that. All sorts of things can influence which locos run when - not just mechanical factors, but also which and how many volunteers are available. On the Cholsey & Wallingford, we ran diesels last time we were open. Why? Because two of our drivers are also local farmers and after working hard all week getting the harvest in, they don't much fancy getting up at stupid o'clock on Saturday morning to light a steam loco up, and I can't say I blame them!

PS My father and I enjoyed an excellent trip on the NNR a few weeks ago, plus photos/video from Sheringham Park. Thank you.

I go to preserved railways because my wife likes railways. I work on railways so for me I'd rather mess about in the garage. Don't get me wrong, when I'm there I enjoy it. Linda wants to know what's happening, so it's quite reassuring when things are run in a railway like manner.

I used to worry about things being out of context, but I've grown out of that one.

I know what Russ means by the "Gold Braid Brigade". Not knocking them as they help keep preserved lines going, but they are not 'real railwaymen'

• RMweb Gold

I go to preserved railways because my wife likes railways. I work on railways so for me I'd rather mess about in the garage. Don't get me wrong, when I'm there I enjoy it. Linda wants to know what's happening, so it's quite reassuring when things are run in a railway like manner.

I used to worry about things being out of context, but I've grown out of that one.

I know what Russ means by the "Gold Braid Brigade". Not knocking them as they help keep preserved lines going, but they are not 'real railwaymen'

I don't think you need to be a real railwayman to clean the loos, stock the shops, keep the stations tidy, wash the coaches, pick up the mess that the 'customers' leave behind them, answer the phones, man the booking office etc., but you do need a deep interest and a belief in what your railway is doing and where it's going. On the engineering side you don't have to be a real railwayman but you sure as hell have to know your way about machinery and how things are nailed together.

You don't see a lot of gold braid crawling round in a flooded pit underneath a steam engine at 5-30am on a wet, cold November morning either....

As a postscript to my previous mail. The NNR is experimenting this summer with additional trains on Tuesdays in August. This week it's GER Y14 no. 564 (LNER J15) with GER  'Wisbech Tramcar' No. 7, M&GN no.129 and LNER BYP 6843. Not truly authentic, but it's an eclectic mix of vintage East Anglian stock and a veteran East Anglian loco. It's a walk on service (no booking) but carries as £1 supplement, and a on it's first come, first served basis as there is limited accommodation.  

Usual caveats, check the website, and if travelling any distance (it's along way from anywhere to North Norfolk!), call the railway first to avoid disappointment. As I say, tomorrow it's the Vintage train with Y14, nothing posted on the website for the 18th yet. 

• RMweb Gold

You don't see a lot of gold braid crawling round in a flooded pit underneath a steam engine at 5-30am on a wet, cold November morning either....

Exactly because they aren't that interested in the way that you and I are

I think you may know a good friend of mine Paul Johnson, he knows what I mean

Ah yes... the over 60s "I can't afford Golf Club membership so to get me out of the house, I'll volunteer for a preserved railway" social club. And that's exactly what it is. A chance to put on a uniform and strut about looking important. I'm certainly not talking about those who volunteer to get their hands dirty... they have my respect and admiration. The occasional acting station master at Weybourne has almost as much finery dripping from his uniform as the Duke of Wellington but frankly wouldn't know a B12 from a B52. They've usually cornered the market in "menacing scowls" often directed towards children which must do wonders for public relations... So, yes, I do believe it's possible to volunteer for a preserved railway and not really give a monkeys about trains. I'm just glad they're not all like that, but to deny their existence is folly.

:onthequiet:  I need to be careful that comes across as a wry observation and not a "whinge"...

• RMweb Gold

You get tw*ts in every walk of life, but it's certainly unfair to tar everyone with the same brush. Just because they wear the appropriate uniform which, in some cases, does include a modicum of braid, doesn't detract from the fact that without them, and indeed everybody who volunteers (doing a job for no monetary reward remember) on preserved railways, there wouldn't be such railways.

And as for stereotyping...don't get me started on railway modellers!

• RMweb Gold

Possibly, but certainly in my experience they get weeded out reasonably quickly and either buck up or bale out. On the railway I volunteer at we have no room for kingdom makers, closet dictators or  wannabe megalomaniacs. they're simply not tolerated.

We do have a few, um, special people mind. :O

edit..by which I mean some only their mothers could love. We do have some volunteers who have either physical or other limitations, they are welcomed and encouraged.

On moving to Sheringham four years ago, I decided to volunteer as a way to do something useful and meet likeminded folk in what was a new area to me. As a former train driver with an interest in railways, both past and present, of course I considered the North Norfolk Railway. I then did the obvious thing and joined the RNLI. Sorry... at the time, I just didn't like what I saw...

Totally agree Phil. I sincerely hope my opinion is very much in the minority. It brings cash to the towns of Sheringham and Holt and people come with anticipation and invariably go home happy. That's what it's all about. One grumpy git's opinion (mine) will not make a blind bit of difference, thankfully. I certainly wasn't trying to be controversial, just personally honest.

Just to put the NNR's side of the story here. The plan was for the B12 to be on the Quads for the whole week of 'Quads Week' with the Std 4 restored on the Mk1s (authentic pairings). Sadly the B12 failed on the first day with severe blockage on an injector feed pipe, and despite the endeavours of the shed staff at Weybourne the loco could not be made available as it cannot run safely with only one working injector. This left 76084 as the only other operational steam loco on the railway at the time as the 9F was half way through having a new ashpan fitted and 45337, which had just arrived from Llangollen, had a leaking cylinder gasket and was awaiting parts to arrive. 45337 came on stream at the end of the week but unfortunately diesels had to be substituted on the B12 diagram prior to this. The NNR does not like using diesels on 'Quads Week' this but sadly had no alternative on this occasion. This was an unfortunate set of circumstances and in the previous six years since the Quads returned to traffic 'Quads Week' has always been steam hauled and the NNR had gone to great pains to try to ensure 100% steam this year as they will in future years. 

Thanks for taking the time to post this.

I have never doubted that heritage railways always try to do their best as far as possible when selecting and matching appropriate stock together.

I also note, following the BBC Radio 2 News, that the NNR Lost Property Office does a good job (re-uniting a lost wallet, with it's owner, after 30 years)

cheers

Well, grumpy gits or not, we're visiting friends in Norfolk over the weekend and they've planned for us to visit the NNR, take a trip and explore the surrounding area, on Saturday. Looking forward to it.

• RMweb Gold

Just to put the NNR's side of the story here. The plan was for the B12 to be on the Quads for the whole week of 'Quads Week' with the Std 4 restored on the Mk1s (authentic pairings). Sadly the B12 failed on the first day with severe blockage on an injector feed pipe, and despite the endeavours of the shed staff at Weybourne the loco could not be made available as it cannot run safely with only one working injector. This left 76084 as the only other operational steam loco on the railway at the time as the 9F was half way through having a new ashpan fitted and 45337, which had just arrived from Llangollen, had a leaking cylinder gasket and was awaiting parts to arrive. 45337 came on stream at the end of the week but unfortunately diesels had to be substituted on the B12 diagram prior to this. The NNR does not like using diesels on 'Quads Week' this but sadly had no alternative on this occasion. This was an unfortunate set of circumstances and in the previous six years since the Quads returned to traffic 'Quads Week' has always been steam hauled and the NNR had gone to great pains to try to ensure 100% steam this year as they will in future years. 

Steve, thank you from  me the person who started this conversation, for taking the time to share this with us.

I must confess to a degree of surprise as to how long the conversation has gone on and the (mostly) good natured and sensible discussion we have had. My observation initially was of seeing the B12 in a diesel gala when one of your lovely standards would have been so much more appropriate. I then said to a friend of mine, in jest, "I bet they do the opposite on Quad Art week!" Well of course my prophecy came true and I felt it was an interesting discussion to bring here.

I did start the discussion with the comment   " I try to post positive things about my local railway and it is a good place to visit for enthusiasts and families." and would like to end by reiterating that, and say to anyone - visit the NNR it's a smashing railway, have an opinion on what you see, enjoy it in your own way and value it for what it is.

Thanks again, and leaving you with the last word I shall suggest to the mods that we close the discussion

• RMweb Gold

The M&GN Society website would have us believe some were used on weekend summer specials to East Coast holiday resorts and that 3 sets were transferred to Sheffield for a brief period in 1966 before final withdrawal. I couldn't possibly argue with that as I'm sure they've done their homework and the fact remains that the Quad-Arts are certainly representative of the LNER and later the Eastern Region, if maybe not truly "East Anglian". In other words, they certainly seem more at home on the NNR than they would in Devon or Scotland. A bit like seeing a GW tank at Strathspey. Not quite right.

And yet of course the 16XX 0-6-0PTs (agreed, delivered to BR) worked the Dornoch Branch and so very likely went through Aviemore to get there from the WR, and quite possibly via Forres so along quite a bit of the Strathspey. OK, never any GW Prairies, 0-6-2Ts or eight-coupled tanks, but just a reminder that amazing things could happen on the real railway.

Steve, thank you from  me the person who started this conversation, for taking the time to share this with us.

I must confess to a degree of surprise as to how long the conversation has gone on and the (mostly) good natured and sensible discussion we have had. My observation initially was of seeing the B12 in a diesel gala when one of your lovely standards would have been so much more appropriate. I then said to a friend of mine, in jest, "I bet they do the opposite on Quad Art week!" Well of course my prophecy came true and I felt it was an interesting discussion to bring here.

I did start the discussion with the comment   " I try to post positive things about my local railway and it is a good place to visit for enthusiasts and families." and would like to end by reiterating that, and say to anyone - visit the NNR it's a smashing railway, have an opinion on what you see, enjoy it in your own way and value it for what it is.

Thanks again, and leaving you with the last word I shall suggest to the mods that we close the discussion

Please don't do that, because I took my father to the NNR today. He is 92 years old tomorrow, but for various reasons today was the most convenient for us. As a special treat I negotiated a footplate journey for him, in addition to our normal rover tickets.

He was thrilled to sit in the seat on 45337 and was there on the loco for the full round trip to Holt and back, and we managed two other round trips in the train as well.

Everyone was so friendly and helpful, it really made his day.

I have read some of the more critical posts on this thread, but would like to congratulate everyone on the NNR, from station masters to ticket inspectors and the loco crews. One very nice touch was the railway staff stopping and waving to trains as they passed, which seem to delight the children on board (or at least the ones sitting in the same carriage to us).

The trains were clean and virtually full (with a large majority of families, which is promising for the future) and on time, and a cup of tea at Sheringham only cost us £1, so I couldn't fault anything at all.

Well done NNR, I say.

I would love to visit more often but being 300 miles away (normally) makes it a bit more impractical on a regular basis.

Further to Andy W post a few more "impossible" occurances;

SR Radial 4-4-2 tanks and some NER 0-4-4 tanks were loaned during WW1 (and yes seen 2 photographs one north of Perth and other on Fortrose Branch) to the Highland Railway.  The Edinburgh Sub also was graced by a large ex GNR 0-8-0 tender locomotive during WW2.  King Arthurs also worked on Edinburgh Sub too.  

Also must not forget ex NBR J36 seen in Malton area during WW2 or the GWR brake vans used by NER for short timespan

Archived