expoEM North 2015

DerekEm8

I'm at the time of life when I ONLY WEAR check shirts!

But not at Expo.  It'll be a Wakefield club polo.

Check shirts are so COMMON :beee:

That'll be three then as Mr Franks will undoubtedly be supporting the 'look' too.

Be down on Sunday and looking forward to it.

Dave.

First time visiting ExpoEM North today. Glad we avoided the M6 in almost its entirity on the way up, though wished we'd also avoided the A500 coming up, but we got there in the end.

Really enjoyed the show, nice mix of layouts and traders. 2 out of 2 this year for ExpoEM for me, great stuff! getting around was so much easier now I have a more portable scooter, so much better able to focus on the layouts etc without having to sit and rest for a large amount of a show!

Until next year.

Managed to get to the show today and thought it was excellent. The layouts which were in attendance displayed some excellent modelling. I returned to Eastwood quite a few times along with The Mill and Middle Peak. Trade support was good too.

Look forward to next year.

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium

Despite the forced change of venue, Derek Evans and the rest of the organisers deserve full credit for "pulling it out of the bag" with a really very good show indeed.

Leighton Buzzard worked reasonably well, despite some further warping of the gas works board and the fiddle yard, which made running off scene a bit of a lottery, in general it ran well and some of the locos ran perfectly. Shunting the goods with the 0-6-0ST was an absolute joy! 

Many thanks to Tony and Ken for coming along and to all the guest operators and people who said nice things to us. I ended up talking that much (no surprise there then) I now have a sore throat and may have to rest the vocal chords for a few days (who cheered?).

What really makes these EXPO events special for me is the people you get to meet and speak with. The shows are a superb mix of great quality model railway show and very friendly social event, backed up by the very best in trade and as for the demonstrators......... what more can I say!

The only true let down was in the check shirt department. I put mine on for Sunday to be met with a rather dull stripe from Mr Wales. Boo Hiss!

Here's to next year!

Tony

I hope you are not implying that I only have three friends and they are but colleagues and, they spy on me through keyholes....

Oh I'm so happy....

Dave, yawn.

I take back all I said..your new range of loco lamps are superb..grovel grovel…now can we have some please?

My 2p

Layouts: Superb, some real quality modelling on show and some fantastic detail modelling as well, very much provided food for thought. Some beautifully made locomotives and rolling stock on display as well.

Trade: Superbly supported and managed to pick up a number of bits as well make note of items which will become very useful in the future.

Members Sales: As last year a very wide range of items available and I managed to find a few interesting items at a good price

Venue: Not hard to find I thought (The 25p for the toll bridge seemed very expensive) but the parking available was atrocious on Saturday am arriving at 10:30, but that is beyond the control of the organisers as has been said before

Conclusion: Roll on ExpoEM North 2016 :)

My mate and I thoroughly enjoyed Saturday and were greeted by thunderous applause when we entered the hall.

Not people clapping however, it was just the din from the heavens opening!

We were debating going again on Sunday then someone mentioned that our tickets were two day ones so that was a no brainer - thanks chaps. We must have been made very welcome as on Sunday we found ourselves joining up, I don't even model in 18.2!

I'm spent up but happy and managed to take a few 'snaps',

20777873833_af11854afc_c.jpgWP_20150913_14_59_18_Refocus by Allegheny1633, on Flickr

More on Flickr, my apologies but somehow my pics are horribly jumbled up and it looks like one is repeated at least four times! Will try to sort later.

Cheers,

John E.

A note of thanks to Derek for putting up with me for the weekend.

As the show wiII be back in Urmston next year and a week Iater-1718th September-I feIt it was important to make an impact this year and with the ChaIIenge Iayouts giving the show a new dimension in showing what couId be done in minimum space 

Here's to 2016! 

For me the trip was worthwhile.  Derek and his team certainly made the best of an unwelcome situation.  Parking when I arrived, about 10 am, was fun but there was a space.  There may even have been more than one.

It's a good job I did not need paint for apart from the weathering acrylics sold by Eileens I'm not at all sure that any was available.  Do correct me if I'm wrong [an offer you don't get every day].  I found some useful wares in the bring and buy where I noted generally seemly behaviour on the part of the patrons.

Quite rightly, praise has been lavished on The Mill as the best of the challenge layouts but the others were creditable too.  I was very taken with M Shed, clearly based on Bristol Harbour and with a fine and working representation of one of the distinctive cranes.   Of the other layouts, I was pleased to see Enigma Engineering after far too long an absence from the circuit.  Sandon Goods shows great promise with a tantalisingly short section of the Liverpool Overhead Railway and, hooray, some trams.

Catering was basic but welcome, with tea at a far from outrageous 70p a cup.  Not wishing to tempt providence I brought my own sandwiches.  I spotted some RMwebbers but, as usual, by no means all present.  Such is life.

I hope that the appeal for new, younger organisers will bear fruit.

Chris

Thanks to Dereck and the team for organising what was a brilliant weekend and allowing me to exhibit New Haden Colliery, and taking home the glass goblet for best layout at Expo EM North 2015 and also the shield which we brought back on Friday!

post-2242-0-76619000-1442245701_thumb.jp

Also thanks to a group of friends who helped me to bring and exhibit New Haden Colliery

We'll be back

Regards

Geoff Cook

I arrived home at 7-50 pm last night the hall being totally cleared and everyone was away by 7-10pm. and once again the Scousers A.K.A. Sandon Dock Goods keeping their record intact for being the last exhibitors to leave the building.

Once again.a BIG THANKS to all for the rapid clear up.

My thanks on behalf of the EMGS go to the layout owners & operators, demonstrators, traders, stewards, caterers, bus drivers and conductors, visitors and all others who supported us this weekend.

New Haden Colliery won an  'Best Layout' trophy.

The Mill won the EMGS Challenge Cup

Grahame Hudson won the Malcolm Crawley Cup with his Black Hawthorn 0-4-0ST

The only disappointment was that visitor numbers for such a 'quality exhibition' (not my words) were slightly down on last years figures - where were you ?

Thanks to all the above posters for their supportive comments.

We only  invite the layouts demos and traders - we need YOU to make expoEM North happen.

Plans are in hand for  expoEM North 2016 on the weekend of  September 17-18th 2016 (note a week later than this year) at our previous venue - The George H. Carnall Leisure Centre Kingsway Park, Urmston, Manchester M41 7FJ

Once again thank you.

A few more snaps from Saturday. I feel guilty about not giving New Haden Colliery a better background; I'll have another go when my eyes are up to it. What a magnificent piece of work it is! But, great and small, every layout was a pleasure to view and had something to give. Well done, everybody! And thanks to Derek, a reassuring presence in the hall!

post-7286-0-10917200-1442275507_thumb.jpg

post-7286-0-64618500-1442276313_thumb.jpg     

NEW HADEN COLLIERY

post-7286-0-81700300-1442275671_thumb.jpg     

GREAT BARDFIELD

post-7286-0-51319600-1442275702_thumb.jpg

I visited on Sunday afternoon and parked without a problem after a journey over the Warburton Toll Bridge. I wonder what the 12p toll charge is used for as it wouldn't maintain the toll booth never mind the bridge.

It is such a shame that Derek has had to report a fall in numbers as this is a really good show full of superb modelling. The Challenge could have been won by any of four layouts the quality was so high.

Of the other layouts I particularly liked 'Great Bardfield', and the under construction 'Eastwood' from the South Hants Group looks like a quality replacement for when 'Ogden Fold' is finally withdrawn from the exhibition circuit. I'm sure it would appeal to our Exhibition Manager's preference for the L & Y.

I'm surprised that Derek didn't take the opportunity to take the winner of 'the Challenge' across to the Modelu Stand and have a 4mm (EM of course) figure made of him holding the trophy, it could then be used to populate The Mill.. 

• RMweb Premium

I'm surprised that Derek didn't take the opportunity to take the winner of 'the Challenge' across to the Modelu Stand and have a 4mm (EM of course) figure made of him holding the trophy, it could then be used to populate The Mill..

I don't think the World is ready for another Jason or Chris, even if in miniature :)

It was again a quality show, fast becoming the jewel in the North's calendar. It's a real shame numbers were down. I know it was expected given the change of venue, but still sad to hear.

For me the trip was worthwhile.  Derek and his team certainly made the best of an unwelcome situation.  Parking when I arrived, about 10 am, was fun but there was a space.  There may even have been more than one.

It's a good job I did not need paint for apart from the weathering acrylics sold by Eileens I'm not at all sure that any was available.  Do correct me if I'm wrong [an offer you don't get every day].  I found some useful wares in the bring and buy where I noted generally seemly behaviour on the part of the patrons.

Quite rightly, praise has been lavished on The Mill as the best of the challenge layouts but the others were creditable too.  I was very taken with M Shed, clearly based on Bristol Harbour and with a fine and working representation of one of the distinctive cranes.   Of the other layouts, I was pleased to see Enigma Engineering after far too long an absence from the circuit.  Sandon Goods shows great promise with a tantalisingly short section of the Liverpool Overhead Railway and, hooray, some trams.

Catering was basic but welcome, with tea at a far from outrageous 70p a cup.  Not wishing to tempt providence I brought my own sandwiches.  I spotted some RMwebbers but, as usual, by no means all present.  Such is life.

I hope that the appeal for new, younger organisers will bear fruit.

Chris

Chris,

I hope I'm reading that correctly, which I'm sure I am. (i.e. some younger help for the future of expoEM North) :O :o

Archived